Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ali's Journal page

alikay is offline Junior Member

Ali's Journal

I've been following the Primal Blueprint as best I can off and on for the past 6 months or so. I've had a tremendously rough year, so it when I say "off and on," I mean it. I figure this diet must have potential, though, if I've managed to come through everything without a net weight gain. Now, I'm trying to stick to it consistently so I can actually lose some weight. This journal is to keep me accountable, 'cause obviously I need that.

My goals are to lose about 20 pounds (I'm currently at 150) and to get stronger before my husband and I start trying to have a kid.

Sooo...here's how I've done for the past three days:

Monday: Started off well with a bowl of meaty chicken bone broth and baby bok choy. Then, hubby came home bearing Taco Bell. And I ate a chicken quesadilla and a soft taco. Boo me.

We took a six mile hike together and went to Applebee's for dinner with a gift card. I tried to be good, but there aren't many good options. We had boneless buffalo wings, cheese sticks, and I had Cajun chicken and shrimp with onions and mushrooms. I skipped the potatoes it came with.

Yesterday:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with cheese, roasted broccoli and bacon
    Lunch: Homemade Thai coconut curry soup with chicken, bell peppers, shrooms and bok choy
    Dinner: Bell peppers stuffed with Costco Italian sausage, tomato, mushrooms, spinach and fresh mozarella, plus a salad with butter lettuce, tomatoes, onion and fresh mozzarella (the mozzarella needed to be used up ASAP).

Exercise: Planted 4 out of 5 apple trees. I'm in the process of trying to build my own little garden/food forest to hunt and gather in, using permaculture principles where possible. One thing that attracts me to the primal blueprint is that I can grow or raise most of it. I'll probably start a separate blog about it, if anyone's interested.

Days without cheating: 1

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    I'm interested in how you set up your garden!
    I have a veggie patch (about 700 sqf) that I grow my own vegetables on, well.. that's the plan , so I'd love to exchange ideas and tips!

Hi Shamia,

I've got mostly red clay, so last year I sheet mulched a 600 square foot patch. Basically, I layered crap from the chicken house, newspaper and cardboard, a mix of more crap from the chicken house, stuff from the compost heap and manure, straw and leaves. That killed off the weeds and grass, created some topsoil, and the resulting horde of earthworms made the soil looser and easier to work with. Then, I planted tomatoes, pole beans, lettuce and spinach in the shade underneath the pole beans (this didn't work as well as I thought it would), zucchini and peppers. We got a lot of beans, a decent amount of tomatoes considering the vicious summer thunderstorms that kept knocking them down, and a decent amount of peppers.

This year, I'm going to expand my garden area and do more with companion plants to bring in beneficial bugs and improve the soil. I'm also planning to get more chickens, rabbits and fruit trees started. And asparagus. Definitely asparagus.

What are you growing this year?

Food log:

Breakfast: Chicken bone broth with shredded chicken, baby bok choy, soy sauce and ginger.
    Lunch: 2 of the leftover stuffed bell peppers from last night, plus a small bowl of coconut curry soup.
    Dinner: Chicken and snap peas in a peanut/coconut/curry sauce (once I use up the peanut butter I have, I'll switch to almond butter), cauliflower rice and green beans.
    Dessert: Red wine and 2 squares dark chocolate.

Days w/o cheating: 2

Food:

Breakfast: Eggs, bacon and Excedrin migraine ('cause I felt like I was getting one)
    Lunch:Leftover chicken and snap pea curry w/cauliflower rice
    Snacks: 2 apples and 3 squares dark chocolate (got a sympathy card from the vet since I recently had my cat put to sleep. Needed chocolate.)
    Dinner: Normandy pork and apples over pureed roasted parsnips and turnips with green beans. 1 glass white wine

I think I found a mashed potato substitute I like as much or better than actual potatoes!

Days w/o cheating:3

Well, hubby derailed me last night by taking me to the local diner.

I'd had chicken broth broth with bok choy and soy sauce for breakfast, tuna guacamole lettuce wraps for lunch, and then for dinner hubby was h-u-n-g-r-y and didn't want to wait for me to cook. I was as good as possible given the selection at the restaurant. Okay, not really, but I did try to minimize the damage. I had a hamburger steak with grilled onions and peppers, cottage cheese and fruit (canned in syrup, unfortunately) and mac n cheese on the side. Sorry, I refuse to pay for iceberg lettuce (ew), so a salad was out, and I also refuse to pay for overcooked canned green beans. They were also offering sliced tomatoes, but it's winter and I was scared.

I only ate half the mac n cheese, no bread and I split a dessert strawberry cobbler with my husband. Because really, the only reason to go to that restaurant is the dessert. We live in the boonies and we don't have much close.

CrissyTibby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alikay View Post
    Well, hubby derailed me last night by taking me to the local diner.

I'd had chicken broth broth with bok choy and soy sauce for breakfast, tuna guacamole lettuce wraps for lunch, and then for dinner hubby was h-u-n-g-r-y and didn't want to wait for me to cook. I was as good as possible given the selection at the restaurant. Okay, not really, but I did try to minimize the damage. I had a hamburger steak with grilled onions and peppers, cottage cheese and fruit (canned in syrup, unfortunately) and mac n cheese on the side. Sorry, I refuse to pay for iceberg lettuce (ew), so a salad was out, and I also refuse to pay for overcooked canned green beans. They were also offering sliced tomatoes, but it's winter and I was scared.

I only ate half the mac n cheese, no bread and I split a dessert strawberry cobbler with my husband. Because really, the only reason to go to that restaurant is the dessert. We live in the boonies and we don't have much close.
    This by no means sounds like cheating to me. This sounds like you are sticking to the 80/20 rule quite well. I love all your meals, they sound so delicious! Makes me want to venture out of the normal a bit.

Right now my one goal with the 80/20 is when I eat the indulgent things in the 20 percent I stop when I am satisfied or slightly full.

Good luck on the weight loss. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alikay View Post
    Hi Shamia,

I've got mostly red clay, so last year I sheet mulched a 600 square foot patch. Basically, I layered crap from the chicken house, newspaper and cardboard, a mix of more crap from the chicken house, stuff from the compost heap and manure, straw and leaves. That killed off the weeds and grass, created some topsoil, and the resulting horde of earthworms made the soil looser and easier to work with. Then, I planted tomatoes, pole beans, lettuce and spinach in the shade underneath the pole beans (this didn't work as well as I thought it would), zucchini and peppers. We got a lot of beans, a decent amount of tomatoes considering the vicious summer thunderstorms that kept knocking them down, and a decent amount of peppers.

This year, I'm going to expand my garden area and do more with companion plants to bring in beneficial bugs and improve the soil. I'm also planning to get more chickens, rabbits and fruit trees started. And asparagus. Definitely asparagus.

What are you growing this year?
    Hi Alikay,

I got lucky, it's sandy loam (is that a good word? google translate found that for me - it's basically the best soil you can have here in the Netherlands) so I didn't have to add much - only a bit of dried cow manure.

I have: strawberries (4 kinds), zuchini, pumpkin, garlic, onion, potatoes, beans (snowpeas, peas, sugar snaps, string beans), spinach, lettuce, peppers (5 colours), hot peppers (12 variaties - they are not sold here, and it's a bit too cold to grow them, but I have a tiny greenhouse so I'm trying), artichoke, andives, beets, rocket, arugula, chervelbulbs, radish, tomatoes, tomatillos, unions, carrots, swiss chard, various cabages.

That's a whole lot of veg, but I only grow a few plants of each, apart from the lettuce and spinach.
    This should give my household of 2 enough for a year (with canning and freezing maybe even through winter) .

Unless, of course, the bugs, beetles and mice eat it all before I can

Where do you live? (general area, I mean) We have pretty cold winters and not so hot summers so it is quite challenging to grow things.

Quote Originally Posted by CrissyTibby View Post
    This by no means sounds like cheating to me. This sounds like you are sticking to the 80/20 rule quite well. I love all your meals, they sound so delicious! Makes me want to venture out of the normal a bit.

Right now my one goal with the 80/20 is when I eat the indulgent things in the 20 percent I stop when I am satisfied or slightly full.

Good luck on the weight loss. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking
    Hi CrissyTibby,

Thank you! I'm 5' 1" and now 145 pounds. Yes! Some/all of that missing 5 lbs is undoubtedly water weight, though. I'd like to get down to 130, but my main goal over the next few months is to get stronger and in better shape. My best friend just had a kid and my husband and I decided we're going to start trying for one in the next year, so I'm fighting off a case of the baby rabies, lol.

For recipe ideas, I've been hitting NomNomPaleo pretty hard.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Food log for yesterday:

Breakfast: Skipped it 'cause I wasn't hungry.
    Lunch: Meaty chicken bone broth, Italian-style, with tomatoes and spinach and a sprinkle of mozzarella on top.
    Snack: An apple or two
    Dinner: Bacon-wrapped tuna medallions, roasted acorn squash wedges and roasted brussels sprouts with garlic. Plus two glasses of white wine.

Exercise: Planted a dwarf pomegranate tree.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast