Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major Chocolate cravings since going paleo page

sm270 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Major Chocolate cravings since going paleo

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

Today's newsletter/post about chocolate made me decide to come on here and ask for some help.

I have been paleo now for about 2 months and to be honest I found it a pretty easy transition. My mum only ever fed me fresh foods, processed foods are not allowed in my house. A can of cola was allowed as an xmas treat and maybe one in the summer on a hot day in the park feeding the ducks.

Being only 25 I have kept up a 'clean' diet all my life and have always been active. This diet of course like most peoples did include, bread, rice, pasta and things like that. Including the odd chocolate bar and home made birthday cake.

So going paleo for me simply meant giving up grains and eating more nuts than before. I am very fortunate in that I like healthy foods and don't particularly like the chocolate bars, crisps and doughnuts that those around me seam to inhale in the matter of seconds.

Now saying that, these last two months I have not been able to stop thinking about chocolate. I think about it all the time. I want it on my chicken, i want it on my fruit, I want it!! All of it!

All the time!!

I have been resisting and only having it sometimes when I really cant take it anymore. Now I know Mark says dark chocolate is good for you in small quantities but I fear that if I give in to the temptation there will be no stopping me.... and the cadbury's creme eggs and kit-kats and jars of nuttella will follow.

Has this happened to anyone else? I didn't even like chocolate that much until going paleo and now i just want to drown myself in a giant bath tub full of it!!

One theory i have is that I may not be eating enough fat? and that my body is asking for the fats in the chocolate? But before I run out and buy avocados and start drinking cans of coco-nut milk to try and cure this obsession i am developing I wanted to get your thoughts.

And just to make it clear, I think i am becoming obsessed. I catch myself googeling pictures of chocolate and looking up recipes and finding out things like that Kit-Kat has many different flavors in Japan, they have green tea kit-kats!!! and banana flavor!!!

Right I will stop myself there, please help

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Something I do sometimes is add choc baking powder to my bulletproof coffee in the morning for a treat. Taste great, nice dose of fat and gives you that "fix"

Food for thought

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i keep cocoa powder on hand to add to spice mixes and things...which might help you get it on the fruit and things. if you're after fat, skip the chicken and buy some steak.

if you're concerned about eating kit kats and other crap, you need to go out right now and buy the best dark chocolate you can find...the darker the better. having good dark chocolate will ruin check-out line candy bars for you. it's like having succulent, thick, pastured bacon, and later wanting to crap that bacon out on a box of that pre-cooked microwave garbage. there's just no comparison.

green & blacks is my favorite, but there are plenty of high quality options out there.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I eat dark chocolate, a little every day.... it does not trigger cravings for kitkats. And I was a sugar addict ad used to be able to eat a bag of candy in a day.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that chocolate cravings could mean your magnesium is low. No idea where I read that though so I can't post a link.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    It might just be the sugar you crave. Maybe your body associates chocolate with sweetness.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Where are you in your total carbohydrate intake? Are you going very low carb? Are you eating enough? It might be glucose your body is craving which is translated into a sugar craving in your mind. At least, that's what it was for me. Fat won't help you with that, it will only make you fat because you'll keep eating it but the cravings won't go away. Adding some good starches like sweet potato, potato, winter squashes, root vegetables and white rice, particularly after a workout, is what finally saved me from uncontrollable sugar cravings.
    Last edited by Fiji; 02-22-2012 at 07:20 AM.

sm270 is offline Junior Member
    wow so many replies so quickly!! Thanks everyone. I think I may 'give in' to my cravings a bit and let myself have some dark chocolate and just make sure it doesn't lead to other naughty things after.

I might look into the magnesium thing also, because it does feel like my body is crying out for something it is not getting.
    I will also up my starchy veg also. I do a lot of weight training plus outdoor high intensity interval training so being low on glucose sounds like a very likely source too!! May try some rice after training also. I had stopped eating rice in my paleo quest, but maybe i need a little bit if the potatoes don't work.

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    You sound fairly young and healthy. Don't be afraid of a little white rice, particularly if you are eating it after a heavy work-out, to restore glycogen in your muscles (note that a lot of folks say if you up your carbs, decrease the fat). Contrary to what a lot of folks on these forums say, don't be afraid of eating some fruit either. If you are active and have no specific health or metabolic issues, a little starch and natural fructose won't hurt. Rather, the lack of it might do you more harm- this was so in my case anyway. Don't go hog wild, of course, but don't go all orthorexic either. If you are working out heavily, your body needs some glucose.
    Last edited by Fiji; 02-22-2012 at 08:40 AM.

raney is offline Senior Member
    I would also assume this to be a magnesium craving. Do you crave any other sources of Mg? Nuts (almonds especially), avocados, spinach? Are you getting enough calcium as well? The two work synergistically, I've read a two-to-one ratio of ca:mg is ideal.

Also consider that it could perhaps be iron, depending on your red meat and phytic acid intakes. You aren't going to absorb much of the iron from chocolate due to the phytates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast