Thread: Check/tweak a newbie's primal diet plan page

Rewind is offline Member

Check/tweak a newbie's primal diet plan

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading quite a lot about the Primal Blueprint (and reading the book itself) and have switched over to a primal eating style. At least I think I have. Here is the basic eating plan I have embarked upon:

Less than 80 grams of carbs daily (trying to keep it around 50).
    100 grams of protein daily
    the rest from good fats

I got the 80 grams of carbs concept from here. I find it's not very challenging to stay below this if my main carb contributor is non-starchy vegetables. I usually have to add some sweet potato to dinner to get up to 50 for the day.
    At 6'1" and 260 pounds I estimated I am around 35-40% body fat, so around 150 pounds of lean mass hiding under there needing about .66 grams of protein daily. If I increase my activity level, I'll eat more protein.

Have I done my calculations properly? I have lost 8 pounds in 10 days or so - indicating that things are going well. (The only bad side effect has been discussed in my other thread.)

Are there certain times of day when eating certain macro-nutrients is optimized? I've heard "eat 30 grams of protein for breakfast" for example. Is this something I should be observing? Other thumb rules?

Also, I am on a statin, fenofibrate, and 2 blood pressure meds. When should I go back to the doc to get my meds adjusted? I am thinking when I get down to 240. (200 is my goal.)

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you have it all figured out pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rewind View Post
    Have I done my calculations properly? I have lost 8 pounds in 10 days or so - indicating that things are going well. (The only bad side effect has been discussed in my other thread.)
    As long as you're not starving and feeling good in general, I wouldn't worry too much.

Are there certain times of day when eating certain macro-nutrients is optimized? I've heard "eat 30 grams of protein for breakfast" for example. Is this something I should be observing? Other thumb rules?
    The 30 grams of protein at breakfast is from the leptin reset, from Dr. Jack Kruse (think it might actually be higher, like 50 grams?). I've not really looked into it much, but I don't think it's a necessary rule. Lots of people like the leptin reset and have had success with it, but if what you're doing is working for you, don't change it.

Also, I am on a statin, fenofibrate, and 2 blood pressure meds. When should I go back to the doc to get my meds adjusted? I am thinking when I get down to 240. (200 is my goal.)
    Personally, I would get off the statin ASAP. I have heard nothing but bad about them. They are pushed on people because of a dumb hypothesis (or two, really) that aren't even true.

For the BP medicines, you could get a home monitor (if you don't already have one) and see if your BP drops. If it does, then I imagine your doctor will start cutting those meds back.

activia is offline Senior Member
    ^^ agree with above.

If you start to add lifting/sprinting you can add some more carbs post-workout. Or if you are having issues with low carb flu..but sounds like you are doing well.

I agree get off the statins
    How Statins Really Work Explains Why They Don't Really Work.

Your blood pressure will go down and you will need to adjust and then eliminate those drugs and then start adding some unprocessed salt to your diet!
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    You've read the book, following the program - all good.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!