Thread: percentages of this and that - what should the goals be? page

anniegebel Guest

Shop Now

I'm just a Primal baby (about a week and a half into transitioning my diet and play routines) and haven't read the book yet (it's in the mail!!!!) so this may be a question answered easily someplace else...but I'm going to ask anyway. Don't laugh if I'm showing what a primal novice I am!

I just started keeping a log on FitDay.com and it gives me a handy dandy pie chart to tell me what percentage of fat, protein, carbs, and alcohol I've taken in each day. It's pretty...but what does it mean? What should my goals be? I know I want my carbs to be between 50 and 100 grams to lose, but is that regardless of how many total calories I eat? How do the fat and protein percentages factor in?

Over the past 4 days I've been about 50-60% fat...which seems insane because I'm so used to CW, but is that still insane here? Or not enough?

Thanks for your patience and wisdom...I can't wait to get the book!!!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

Hi Annie,

Yes, to lose your carbs should be under 100g daily independent of your total caloric intake. Total calories still do matter, though - if you're consuming 2500 calories daily, even with your carbs under 100g you probably won't experience much fat loss. I aim for 1400-1800 cals daily when eating to lose fat (I'm female, 5'7, 155 lb @ about 23% body fat), and this usually ends up being 50-60g fat, 10-15g carbs and the rest protein.

anniegebel Guest

Thanks...I'm 5'7 too and right now about 210, so that definitely helps. I've been right around 2000 total calories. My goal is fat loss, so I'll try to cut those calories down a little more, thanks!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

Just begin gradually cutting down calories... I was shocked when I realized how satiated I can feel on 1400 cals, compared to my old 2200cal CW diet that would still leave me hungry at bedtime! Make sure you have a 'refeed' day once a week though... I find it helps both physiologically and especialy mentally. I give myself one day a week (usually a Saturday) where I don't track what I eat on fitday. On these days I give myself permission to eat as much as I want of whatever primal food I want. On these days I may eat up to 2200 cals a day, maybe have an apple or two or a bit of cheese, or go for that extra giant spoonful of almond butter! Depending on your personality this may either throw you off the wagon or help you stay on - for me it definitely helps me to stick to my plan. :-) Good luck!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

I'm a fellow newbie (about half way through the book)...and the book does walk you through how to config your macros using a bmi calculator, harris benedict equation and then working backwards to determine how many grams of each you should aim for every day. I track on livestrong b/c I could never figure fitday out LOL

I set my carb goal to 80g, protein at 1gram/lb of lean body mass and then calculated to lose 1 lb/week and I ended up at about 1800 cal/day and macro of 15/25/60 c/p/f...of course, they're just guidelines.

As mentioned above, I'm finding that I'm very full with plenty of energy on less calories than I've "allotted" myself. And now that I think I'm past the brain fog coming down off an average 200-300+ carb/day habit, I'm feeling better every day. I thought it would be impossible to stay under 100g of carbs/day and I'm actually finding it quite easy!

You will LOVE the book. I'm already amazed at the changes in my mood, body, and energy after just two weeks of "getting started."

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

OrangeGirl is offline Junior Member

FitDay is an interesting tool, isn't it? I used to hate keeping track of my food intake, now I look forward to it ... it keeps me honest. I can't lie to it or I'll know it!

I keep my calorie intake between 1300 - 1700 calories a day, and as long as my carbs are under 25%, I don't care where the protein & fat fall because I generally get an equal distribution.

Example ... today my calories: 1319, fat: 92g (62%), protein: 82g (25%), and carbs: 46g (13%). That's actually extremely low for me calorie wise, I usually hover around the higher end of that spectrum. I didn't do much today though so that's probably a good thing.

Also, I'm a 5'6 & 130 lbs.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

I just joined FitDay but I keep getting errors every time I try to do anything on there. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

I use Daily Plate and find it very helpful. I'm 5'9" and maintaining calories at around 2000, carbs at 50-60 g, and have been losing about 1-2 lb a week since mid Jan. I had planned to cut calories if needed, but it seems to be working so far, so I wonder if you should keep you calories up and cut the carbs to nearer 50. I know that you can't lose weight if you eat a huge number of calories, but aren't you supposed to eat around your maintenance? I thought cutting calories to lose weight was CW. I haven't read the book so forgive me if I have got this wrong. I appreciate that if you don't feel like eating the additional calories that is a positive thing.