Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help with a response .... page

Spesh2012 is offline Junior Member

Need some help with a response ....

Shop Now
    Hello!

This is my first post here in the forum, but I'm hoping for some help!

I'm new to the primal/paleo lifestyle and am currently in the middle of my first Whole30 challenge. I've been seeing my trainer for a few weeks now and he asked me to send him my meals for the last couple of weeks. I did just that and he responded telling me that my meal plans were NOT GOOD (yes, he used all caps) and said that even if I show I'm losing weight it's only because my body is eating it's own lean muscle mass.

All of my meals are Whole30 compliant (and consists of a protein and 1-2 types of veggies likely cooked in coconut oil), but I'm also omitting fruit (they trigger my sugar cravings) and nuts (because I have no portion control issues).

I have written him back asking what is wrong with my diet and how can eating whole, unprocessed foods be bad. He has not responded and likely won't until tomorrow.

I'm still so new to this lifestyle that I don't know how to appropriately respond to him.

I have a feeling he's going to tell me that I need to eat 5-6 times a day and need to eat some sort of carb/whole grain either before or after my workout. I was thinking of adding a sweet potato on my workout days, but am trying to be careful because I do want to lose some weight. If it matters, I have about 50 pounds to lose so I am far from goal.

Anyone have any good suggestions on a response or maybe corrections in my plan in case I'm doing something wrong?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    This guy obviously has no idea what he is talking about. The only way your body would be eating lean muscle is if you are not getting adequate protein, which is unlikely if you are eating meat at every meal. Also, even if you didn't have adequate protein you would still be losing mostly fat because you need to lose 50 pounds.

Carbs aren't necessary for workouts but they might be helpful. The best way to figure it out would be to experiment. Maybe one day eat a sweet potato an hour or two before you work out. You might have a better work out, or you might not.

Could you post your meal plan?

Anyway, I can guess his response. He will say that you need to eat grains and you are eating too much fat. Neither of these are true really. Basically he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about like the great majority of personal trainers (at least when it comes to food).
    Last edited by jimhensen; 02-21-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Bonnie B is offline Junior Member
    Sounds just like my first trainer. I started this journey weighing 350#. After losing about 50# I joined the gym and got a trainer. He preached at all the time about my new eating lifestyle, about how not eating every 3 hours would kill my metabolism, fat was bad, meat was bad, not eating lots of carbs before exercising was bad....blah, blah blah. I fired him and hired a new trainer that was in sync with my food choices. He's there to manage my workouts and make sure I'm lifting heavy things correctly so I don't get hurt, not to give dietary advice. It would be damn hard to argue with me since I've lost over 200#, no longer have diabetes, high cholesterol or high blood pressure. He's not there to judge your diet, he's there to get you in shape. OMG - don't tell him about IF either, that would send him over the edge.

Thank you for your response ..... I think you're right in terms of what he's going to say to me.

Since I sent him 2 weeks worth of meals, below is a sample just so you can see. I left out breakfast since it's the same (eggs) everyday:

Tuesday lunch:
    Salad w/ grilled chicken (dressing was evoo, balsamic & dijon mustard)

Tuesday dinner:
    Grilled Steak & mashed Cauliflower

Wednesday Lunch
    Grilled steak & cauliflower (leftovers)

Wednesday dinner:
    Chicken Stir-Fry (no rice)

Thursday Lunch
    2 eggs & sauteed kale

Thursday dinner:
    Seared scallops in coconut oil & spaghetti squash

That is an example of how I eat. I don't typically snack because I'm usually not hungry in between meals.

Thank you again for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie B View Post
    Sounds just like my first trainer. I started this journey weighing 350#. After losing about 50# I joined the gym and got a trainer. He preached at all the time about my new eating lifestyle, about how not eating every 3 hours would kill my metabolism, fat was bad, meat was bad, not eating lots of carbs before exercising was bad....blah, blah blah. I fired him and hired a new trainer that was in sync with my food choices. He's there to manage my workouts and make sure I'm lifting heavy things correctly so I don't get hurt, not to give dietary advice. It would be damn hard to argue with me since I've lost over 200#, no longer have diabetes, high cholesterol or high blood pressure. He's not there to judge your diet, he's there to get you in shape. OMG - don't tell him about IF either, that would send him over the edge.
    Yes, I have a feeling he's going to say the same things. The other day the girl I train with said she had stuffed peppers for dinner made with ground beef and he said that ground beef was the WORST.

I know he's going to say all those things to me so I just need to be ready with my comebacks. My gym is at work and I have a very limited choice in trainers. I like him as a trainer, but maybe not as a diet coach! LOL
    Last edited by Spesh2012; 02-21-2012 at 09:20 PM.

And Bonnie .... congrats on your loss. That is wonderful!!!!!

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure what you weigh and you haven't given any quantities for the protein or fat serves or how much exercise you are doing...but if your protein and oil serves are on the smaller side, are you actually eating sufficient calories? Are you actually getting sufficient protein...two eggs for instance is probably about 15gms of protein depending on their size?

Primal blueprint book provides some guidelines for weight loss, have you read them?
    Achieving goals takes a backbone not a wishbone

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    You might need to find a new trainer, you know what you are doing is right and if he has his CW ideas you two are going to clash, and it might lead to underlying resentment.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I don't know exact quantities of protein and fat, but I definitely don't skimp. I've never added up my calories, so I'm unsure of that answer. Could be interesting to log them for a day or two and see.

I've started, but not finished the primal blueprint. I'm in the process though! I exercise 3x a week for an hour with the trainer. We do circuit training with kettlebells, body weight and resistance bands .....

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    You are not going to change his mind, not matter what response you come back with. If you have a copy of Mark's book, I would take that with you to your next training session and let him know that you are following a primal diet and that is that. He can either read up and get educated on your choice of dietary lifestyle (and it is YOUR choice) or you can find another trainer.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast