Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Mills on evolution and nutritional science page

lesliek is offline Member

Shop Now

I saw an ad today for Wheaties Fuel, a new cereal endorsed and apparently designed by today's top athletes (and specifically targeted at men).

Here's the tricked-out website: http://wheaties.com/evolution.

One 3/4th cup serving (yeah, right) has 46g of carbs, 14g of sugar, and only 3g/each of fat and protein. *facepalm*

Kryz is offline Junior Member

but it has a whole 5g of fiber! what could possibly go wrong? oh, geez...

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Quite the ironic name.

It's just about time that advocates of "whole grains" read the studies demonstrating the negligible difference between whole grain bread with tons of fiber and white bread with none.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

lesliek is offline Member

Stabby-- Do you have links to any of those studies handy? I have a med-school friend who would be interested to read them.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/foods/grains/gigl.html

This page is about the glycemic index in general, but there is a table and a link the university of Sydney's website for GI data. If you compare, say, brown and whtie rice, whole wheat and white bread, white vs whole wheat pasta, etc, there is only a slight difference. Oh but the precious precious nutrients that get removed during refinement! Phytic acid ensures that when all is said and done, there isn't so much difference.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/79/3/418

That one is for magnesium but it is across the board detrimental to all minerals.

Another point is that many of the lectins (you can see mark's post on lectins) are removed during the refinement process.

Now the very best grains like quinoa are somewhat better than wheat and oats, etc but quinoa still has a glycemic index of 53. I need to find a study that demonstrates exactly how little difference there is between 20 points on the GI scale. Right now I'm just taking Dr. Mercola's word for it. He should really cite more stuff.

Cheers.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

First of all, WHO eats 3/4 cup of cereal? Ever? And 46 grams of carbs and 14 grams of sugar???? That is ridiculous. Double that for the likely serving, and you've got 6.66 teaspoons of sugar, or more than 2 TABLESPOONS...yikes. It's fueling you for something, though it seems like it's only for a short burst of sugar energy to get you out the door and to work in time to be crashing, which is convenient since there will probably be doughnuts in the break room, right?

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

hannah I ate 3/4 cup of cereal - or sometimes even 1/2 cup (I actually measured) when I was on my CW calorie-counting low-fat "healthy" kick... with 1/4 cup of skim milk.

It was a special time in my life.

Very very ridiculous.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Oh so did I. I realized I was undereating actually, and had to measure out a cup of cereal (I think this was the Fiber ONE Honey Clusters that I was obsessed with) to make sure I was getting a full cup. And I'd be like "whoa that's a lot of cereal..." what an idiot.

For guys though (since I don't think Wheaties Fuel is marketed mainly to women), I don't think many would consider 3/4 cup a serving. My brothers would fill the bowl up to the top, pour milk all over it, and call it breakfast

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

maba is offline Senior Member

I used to eat 1/2C of granola w/ 1% milk EVERYDAY thinking I was eating healthy. But I'd be hungry within an hour! I still have about 20lbs of granola in my pantry, don't know what to do with it. I used to buy them in 25lb box from the co-op!!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Hehehe reminds me of when I used to work at California Pizza Kitchen and we had the option to have your pizza on whole wheat dough... I'm totally guilty of always getting my pizzas on whole wheat though and feeling 10x better about it cus I was making a conscientious decision to eat whole wheat!

I miss their Mango Tandoori pizza, I got made fun of for being the only employee to constantly get it, but that pizza was something else!

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast