Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here, but definitely not new to Primal living. I am, however, at the end of my rope and would really appreciate some advice...

I'm 21, female, and have been living primal for about 10 months. My whole family went primal around the same time, so I'm pretty much using them as a measure of 'average'. Also important to note, I'm a ballet dancer, and I'm hypothyroid.

When I started eating primal, I felt the results almost immediately. It was during a break from my normal dancing schedule, so I was working out pretty lightly each day (swimming or riding a bike, maybe a bit of weight lifting or push up/planks), but my joints felt great, I was immediately stronger, and I was slowly starting to lose weight. I am hypothyroid, which means since I was diagnosed (for the last 5 years) I haven't been able to lose weight at all. I mean, at all. No matter what, high calorie, low calorie, no fat, low fat, gluten free, dairy free, nothing mattered, so I was pretty excited when I started to see results. About 4 months into my primal experience, but layoff from dancing ended, and I returned to my normal schedule; between 6 and 8 hours of ballet, 5 days a week. In the past (pre-primal) it was extremely normal for me to gain a bit of weight when I was dancing so much. I realize in retrospect that it was because I wasn't eating enough, and the little I was eating wasn't good for me (total bread addict...) But since starting to eat primal, I was expecting my body to work like the finely tuned machine I had starting to get used to; I was expecting to continue to lose weight and feel awesome. Lo and behold, the exact opposite happened. In the last 5 to 6 months, I've gained a good 20 pounds, none of which is muscle. I did have a bout of strep throat a couple of months ago that was treated with antibiotics. I made sure to take a good pro-biotic during that time, and have continued to use it (because I like it), and while I was sick, I know I wasn't eating enough of anything, good or bad. I lost my appetite so drastically while I was sick, and had a really rough time getting back to a normal amount of food intake. But for the last 2 months or so, I've been healthy, eating normally, and not losing any of the weight I gained.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I know the ballet aspect is a pretty specific work out regiment, but not that obscure. I just don't know if the weight gain is coming from a hypothyroid problem, something wrong with my diet, something wrong with a work out regiment? I'm getting really frustrated, especially because I feel so good! My energy is good, I sleep well, wake easily, having consistent energy throughout the day, enjoy eating all the great primal food that I do, but my body just seems to be rejecting it. Any advice (or sympathy...) would be great to hear. And thanks in advance!

Alex