Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctor says no more squats... Arthritis.. page

BareFootHarvey is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Doctor says no more squats... Arthritis..

Primal Fuel
    Okay so a little family history my dad and sister both suffer from arthritis just my sisters is much more sever and is not from getting older. She has rheumatoid arthristis and has battled it since she was 19 years of age and is now 30. I am 28 and have started to experience similar symptoms.

So my right knee has really been bothering me for some time. So when I go to the Orthopedic doctor he does his X-ray and tells me he does not believe I have any tares but can see arthris under both knees. Now my knees have cracked forever but now the right one cracks and causes pain. He suggested no more squats, so I am pretty bummed out. I don't want to neglect my legs.

I will be seeing a Rheumatologist soon which was my knee doctors recommendation. Should I get another opinion regarding me knee?

What about squats?

Any advise appreciated.

primal-dan is offline Member
    Listen to your doctor and don't exercise an inflamed joint. Exercise causes inflammation. The inflammation is your immune system rebuilding the body part you stressed. If your knee is already inflamed you're not going to make it stronger by causing further inflammation.

Don't exercise if you're taking anti-inflammatory medicine either, as the medicine suppresses the inflammation response you are trying to trigger. You'll tear up your joints and your body will be unable to repair them to be stronger.

How is your sleep, stress, & diet? Are you getting enough O3?

Sleep is a big issue with me on work days. I work 12 hour shifts and the days rotate. Some days even if I can go to bed early I can't sleep. Stress is has been better lately but not the best. I am a police officer as well as have a big family to take care off. Been doing the primal thing for over three weeks. I have had a couple slip ups and had something non primal. When I weight train my upper body I seem to be fine, but that sucks I can't work my legs. He suggested cycling too.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    You might consider posting this on the Starting Strength forum under the Mark Rippetoe Q&A and get his opinion on squats? When it comes to diet and exercise, i don't put much faith in doctors. My doctor asked what type of exercise I do and when I told him heavy compound lifts he asked "isn't that bad for your spine?". I said "sure, if you do them incorrectly".

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I have bone on bone osteoarthritis of my knee. Giving up grains and sugar was my ticket to calming inflammation, pain relief, and getting off Rx pain meds. I can squat.

All the being said, you are 3 weeks in, with slip ups. My suggestion--tighten up on the grains/sugar/slip ups and give your body time to heal inflammation. When your knees have been pain free for a while then you might try squatting again--going low, slow and mindful of discomfort.

Also, ask the rheumie to test for inflammation-- C-Reactive Protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    You might consider posting this on the Starting Strength forum under the Mark Rippetoe Q&A and get his opinion on squats? When it comes to diet and exercise, i don't put much faith in doctors. My doctor asked what type of exercise I do and when I told him heavy compound lifts he asked "isn't that bad for your spine?". I said "sure, if you do them incorrectly".
    I will do that, thanks. When a doctor ask things like that it doesn't sound good.

Yeah I am really trying to tighten things up. Teaspoon to tablespoon of sugar in my coffee in am but I don't eat candy and monitor it in other foods as well.

Kinda not sure how to workout only doing upper body. I only do compound lifts and pull ups/chin ups.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    @BareFootHarvey
    I find that any sugar at all is bad for OA. It took me a week to regain pain-free status in my left knee, after a tiny bit of sugar.

patski is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    ABSOLUTELY NO SUGAR (in any form) and NO GRAINS!

I would consider taking MSM as an anti-inflammatory. Increase your omega-3s if you haven't already.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast