Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explain why primal is better than eating all vegetables for weightloss page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Explain why primal is better than eating all vegetables for weightloss

Shop Now
    I am still trying to get a grasp on all of this as I have made the transition from eating all vegetables, only a small serving of grain and a higher fat (all healthy oils) diet, to a paleo diet. Why is it that my weight plateaued and I ended up gaining weight when I ate a very clean diet. I know there are many followers here coming from the SAD and have seen such quick results, but I want to know if I will experience drastic results as well. Each time I attempt to make the full on transition to paleo, I get constipated and feel that I gain weight at first. I can't decide which is best for me or what will produce the best results! Does it have to do with the body working harder to break down proteins and fats that helps with weight loss? I was eating mostly cooked vegetables all day long with maybe 1/4 cup of quinoa in the morning, I would say I was not eating a ton of calories yet i saw the scale go up not down.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Were you eating a lot of wholegrains before?

I put on a lot of weight after I gave up gluten grains. I suspect I was undiagnosed celiac. I wasn't coming from a SAD when I went primal - I just gave up whole corn and legumes essentially. It led to weight loss because I had given up gluten grains a few years previously.

I love veggies too - currently eating around 8 portions a day. I get constipated when I don't eat enough.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 02-21-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Eating mostly veggies with some grains doesn't provide enough protein to support muscle. Protein ups the metabolic rate and insulin spikes from grains tends to cause fat storage. A grain+ veggie diet also does nothing to support the thyroid, which is a huge driver of our metabolic rate. We need protein for our thyroid to function.
    Also, if you're not eating enough calories (which is sounds like you probably weren't), it will slow down your metabolism. What kind of oils were you eating (this could be another factor)?

Have you read The Primal Blueprint or The Paleo Solution? It's important to understand the philosophy behind the diet.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

@lex is offline Senior Member
    You'd lose more mass eating just veggies and grains,but that isn't a good thing.People seem to either not realize or ignore the fact that weight loss or gain isn't pure fat but comprised of fat,water and glycogen,lean mass from muscles,and even mass from bones.Not getting the proper amount of protein leads to an increase in the amount of lean mass lost,and veggies and grains are a fairly poor source of protein unless balanced and watched like a hawk.Primal on the other hand isn't a weight loss diet,it's designed to get you healthy in an overall sense,but it just so happens that efficient fat loss is part of this.

primalsun is offline Member
    When you transition from a low protein veg diet to a higher protein diet that includes animal foods, you will most likely gain some weight (considering you aren't obese). Now that your body has the protein, fat, and minerals it needs to repair itself, it will. Your body is building muscle, bone, cartilage etc that is lost form moderate-long term vegetarian diets. I gained about 8 pounds over the course of 3 months when I first went primal (coming from a vegan diet) but didn't notice any actual fat gain. How much above target weight are you? Also, with an increase in calories, expect to gain. Once your hormones regulate and you are adjusted to the primal diet (can take several months for some people), you may find it easier to lose weight.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I lost a lot of weight once on an all vegetable diet. I also almost threw a hair drier into my bathtub because of it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, I missed the point that the OP isn't getting enough protein.

All vegetables for weightloss = muscle loss, for sure.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating meat at all?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What is your diet now? Can we have a meal plan or two?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast