Thread: Brine for chicken page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Brine for chicken

Primal Fuel
    The other day I discovered a package of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts in my freezer. My favorite part of the chicken is the leg and thigh but I use the breasts for salad. Usually the breast is too dry but I learned to cook a moist tender breast using Ina Garten's recipe. I don't really know what to do with these boneless, skinless, thin breasts I feel if I try to roast or grill/fry them they'll dry out before I know it. What can I use them for? I don't even remember buying them. I thought I might try brining them before I cooked them. Does anyone know how to make the brine and how long to leave the breasts in it?

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    I use this for all my poultry brining needs. Delish.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Quote Originally Posted by gojirama View Post
    I use this for all my poultry brining needs. Delish.
    Sounds like just what I want. I can't seem to find the link. Thanks.

Jmb
    Jmb is offline Junior Member
    Buy a 4 pound whole chicken (its cheaper economically and you get a variety of cuts) and quarter it to get 2 breasts, 2 leg/thighs, and 2 wings.

Put 3 oz coarse kosher salt + approximately 1 oz honey in 1 QT of water for 90 minutes. The honey is sugar for the chicken skin. When you grill the chicken the sugar will caramelize and make a nice crispy bite.

Ring of Fire Grilled Chicken Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
    This link is to Alton Brown's grilled chicken recipe. I grill according to this recipe about once a week and it turns out perfectly cooked and tasty every time.

gojirama is offline Senior Member

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    I usually poach my (straight from freezer) chicken breasts in water with a stock cube (organic, but the salty one, otherwise, add salt) untill they are half done (outside is cooked, inside still raw. I then slice the breast into pieces, spice them up with chilipowder, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and fry them in real hot oil till brown. Perfect snackfood!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmb View Post
    Buy a 4 pound whole chicken (its cheaper economically and you get a variety of cuts) and quarter it to get 2 breasts, 2 leg/thighs, and 2 wings.

Put 3 oz coarse kosher salt + approximately 1 oz honey in 1 QT of water for 90 minutes. The honey is sugar for the chicken skin. When you grill the chicken the sugar will caramelize and make a nice crispy bite.

Ring of Fire Grilled Chicken Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
    This link is to Alton Brown's grilled chicken recipe. I grill according to this recipe about once a week and it turns out perfectly cooked and tasty every time.
    Is it necessary to include the honey? I'm in the process of losing weight and I really love sweets. I don't want the taste of sugar to trigger a "sugar-themed" binge. The only way to get around that is to avoid it entirely.

Thanks

pastordave is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    The other day I discovered a package of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts in my freezer. My favorite part of the chicken is the leg and thigh but I use the breasts for salad. Usually the breast is too dry but I learned to cook a moist tender breast using Ina Garten's recipe. I don't really know what to do with these boneless, skinless, thin breasts I feel if I try to roast or grill/fry them they'll dry out before I know it. What can I use them for? I don't even remember buying them. I thought I might try brining them before I cooked them. Does anyone know how to make the brine and how long to leave the breasts in it?
    If you have an oven with convection roast..sprinkle Mrs. Dash or some all-natural coating (no wheat etc,) like Spike over the entire breast and cook at 325 for about 25 mins--the coating keeps the chicken moist and tasty!