Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loss of control over food after being on the PB diet!!! page

Vee812 is offline Junior Member

I am in despair! I was in the PB diet for almost a month. Everything was going well when all of a sudden I started eating non-prinal foods like CRAZY. It started on Thursday. It has been like that for 4 days now!!! I've been eating whole grain breads, bagels and lots of fruits (I was limiing myself to 1-2 servings of fruit daily while on the PB). I don't know what is going on with me. It seems that I CAN'T CONTROL IT!!! Has anyone experienced this or anything similar? I have experienced overeating before, but it never happened 4 days in a roll!!! It would only happen once in a while. Btw, no emotional changes in my life. Everything is the same!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

PMS? Not sure if you are a girl though!!! See if eating fatty food will ease it. Did you know that at that time of the month a woman's metabolism can increase by between 6 and 16%!

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Sometimes you have to reaffirm to yourself why you're making changes, otherwise they can be hard to maintain. A month is a great start, but it is not enough time to completely reprogram lifelong eating habits. Carbs are habit-forming, so you're going to have to stay vigilant.

If you want to go back to Primal eating, just do it. Get rid of the grains and fruit you have in the house. Go to the grocery store with a list of Primal foods, and buy only the things on that list. Don't eat out unless you plan out exactly what you're going to order before you get there. Bring snacks whenever you leave the house, so you won't be tempted to pick up a bagel if you get hungry.

Are you eating enough? Newbies often underestimate their need for fat. And restricting calories shouldn't be a priority if you're still having trouble avoiding grains.

If giving yourself cheat days is a trigger, skip 'em for now. Choose Primal-friendly "treats" like hard cheese, dark chocolate (at least 70%), or macadamia nuts (low in carb, decent O3/O6 ratio). But remember that none of those items are low calorie, so use some restraint if you're trying to lose weight.

Good luck!

lesliek is offline Member

I second @jo on the suggestion that it may be hormonal. I have a day each month with killer carb cravings. I found it's best to feed the beast and then try to crawl back on the wagon the next day. This can be hard, though. Once you give your body insulin spikes it wants more. Usually the "bad" food makes be feel bloated/icky enough to want to get back to clean eating, though.

I'm not sure how your cravings work, but usually I crave something in particular (cinnamon roll, fries, etc.). If I try to eat primal junk food in its place (chocolate, nuts, dried fruit) I end up just eating lots of primal junk food and the craving remains.

Jo & Lesliek,

The last day of my period was about 6 days ago. When does the carb cravings usually start for you guys? Before or after?

Pikaia,

Thank you for all the tips! Unfortunately, I have to keep some grains in the house for my husband. I am still debating on whether I should keep fruits in the house or not. Then I think... Maybe I shouldn't restrict myself too much. What if I wake up one day and have 14 servings of fruit as a result of restricting myself??? Confusing!

Athena is offline Senior Member

Id say try to make things that are both primal and help satisfy your craving. This will help you make lifelong changes because you dont feel like you are missing out.

These I just made and helped me big time:

Blend in a food processor:

Almonds

Walnuts

Sesame Seeds

1-2 Dates or a small handfull of raisins or dried fruit. (dont use too much, otherwise carb cravings will keep going)

Blend until you have a bunch of small particles, not quite a flour.

Mix in 2 tbsp of coconut milk, or until you get a sort of chunky paste

roll into small balls, place in freezer and let set for 10 mins. BAM! a slightly sweeter snack that is totally primal

Sherissima is offline Member

I don't know why you tasted grains 4 days ago, but if you're anything like me, I know why you can't stop.

Carbs are ADDICTIVE for some people. It's nothing to do with willpower, just biochemistry. For me, Primal (no grains, no dairy) has been a revelation - I've been on it for 5 weeks and I have no cravings and no desperate, all-consuming hunger that made me binge on bread, pasta and chips in the past.

I know that not everyone is as sensitive as I am. If you'd like to check whether you are, I suggest a 2 week no-dairy, no-grain, minimal (1 portion every other day, if that) fruit challenge. ETA: Eat a lot of fatty meat/fish, avocados, coconut flesh, milk and oil... See how you feel during/after that, if you have cravings or feel unnaturally hungry.

BTW, I still have high carb foods like croissants, pasta, rolls, biscuits etc. in the house as my SO eats them (he has no problem with weight or health, and is in control of his carb consumption which I could never do). I'm not tempted at all.

lesliek is offline Member

Before, but I imagine there's great variance in hormonal fluctuations for menstruating women. I say pay attention to your body over time. I didn't notice this as a trend until I was a few months into primal. Hopefully through time you'll have a better understanding of where your hunger comes from.

Don't beat yourself up over this...I've done it too and have come back strong. It takes time to undo a lifetime of eating a certain way, especially if you have carb/sugar addictions like some of us.

anniegebel Guest

I agree...someone said to me on another post that Primal living is about having less stress. I hadn't thought about that, but I think that's one of the things that draws me to it. We can be human and still have a Primal life...in fact, there's no better way to be human, right

I have to keep bread in the house for my husband right now too. That's kind of what my post was about! lol...living with non-groks. Someone else (or maybe the same person) reminded me that this change was for ME FIRST. Put YOU first, and don't punish yourself. Even though it's in the house, you don't have to eat it and if you don't eat it you probably won't crave it and have to resist...you just won't want it.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast