Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loss of control over food after being on the PB diet!!! page 2

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I understand your cravings, these foods are very addictive.

You can try the higher fat foods, as well as L-glutamine. You can open the capsule and put it right on your tongue and should help with cravings right away.

I eliminate these foods personally, except for corn maybe once a week, as they are totally addicting.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member

I'd recommend filling up on some of the starchier vegetables, like pumpkin, squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, etc.

Decently quality carbohydrates without all the anti-nutritive effects of grains.

“The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Vee812 is offline Junior Member

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

"The last day of my period was about 6 days ago. When does the carb cravings usually start for you guys? Before or after?"

I get food cravings about a week before I'm due, fortunately not carbs, but fatty food, which of course is ok. I don't put on weight.

I agree with leslieK, our hormones can be up and down during the month, so maybe keep a record and see if it happens at regular times. Work out what your triggers are.

mia
    mia is offline Junior Member

Mine are always a couple of days before and nearly always derail any healthy eating plan I've got going.

However on 1st Jan (a couple of days before) I had a hangover breakfast of eggs benedict with smoked salmon and lots of hollandaise sauce. It was so rich I didn't feel like eating anything the rest of the day. I tried having the same breakfast again the next day and same thing!! (I didn't have any fruit or veg those two days.)

It was a mini revelation! no chocolate or carb cravings at all. (However I did fall off the wagon in feb again) But I think we underestimate the amount of fat we need during this time. I think perhaps a type of atkins induction diet with lots of fat might be the key???

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Good thought on the induction-esque diet during PMS cravings, mia.

For the record, if I'm going to get PMS cravings, they are also before my period, not afer.

OP -- I think it's more likely you're experiencing the affects of regular ol' carb addiction. It can be tough!

In addition to the other suggestions about eating plenty of healthful carbs and fats -- and protein as well -- to stay satiated, remember the mental component.

You say you worry about restricting fruit for fear you'll wake up one day and gorge on the stuff. That panicky feeling results from our tendency to not take the time to think through the matter logically.

I mean, really. If I don't have a banana today, are all the bananas in the world going to DISAPPEAR? Is this my LAST CHANCE???

Of course not. Pass up the fruit/bread/whatever today, tomorrow, the next day, the day after that...it'll still be there if you ever change your mind.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Thank you for all the tips! Unfortunately, I have to keep some grains in the house for my husband. I am still debating on whether I should keep fruits in the house or not. Then I think... Maybe I shouldn't restrict myself too much. What if I wake up one day and have 14 servings of fruit as a result of restricting myself??? Confusing!

Maybe you need to get rid of the husband?

Just kidding, sort of

Sounds to me you are addicited to carbs. Not uncommon. Carbs have a very simialr effect on some folks just like alcohol does (also a type of carb). It takes 2 to 4 weeks of abstaining to cure yourself of the physical cravings for carbs. The psychological cravings may however last a lifetime for some. If that is the case for you, it may require that you change your social relationships (hence the husband joke).

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member

I had the same problem when I started the PB. I am an extremely active male (weight lifting, walks to school, and a bit of cycling) After a week of PB I went on an uncontrollable binge for 2 days, like I could not believe it. Ice cream, cookies, peanut butter, cereal, and fruit. Which for me is nuts. Before pb i was a bodybuilder 6 times a day, and I ate extremely clean. I have not had ice cream in literally almost 2 years. I started tracking my food on fitday, and realized that I was extremely under eating by a lot. Its simple this style of eating keeps you full, so make sure you are eating enough fats. now i have been tracking my intake and making sure that I am eating enough, and I have been filling great for the past couple of weeks. Sometimes I have to make sure that I am getting enough calories.

Vee812 is offline Junior Member

Thank you all very much!

Lesliek, I was SOOO angry with myself! Thank you for your words!

You guys are right. It is an addiction and that makes me not want to have it ever again!

vonterschpe Guest

PrimalCon New York

Being a guy I've never really understood the crazy hormone fluctuations and feelings women have. This thread shines some light on it. I just want to say that I never realized how difficult it must be for you ladies around your periods. Keep up the good work. You gals amaze me in every thread I read

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast