Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: babies ... formula .. and milk page

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member

babies ... formula .. and milk

Primal Fuel
    so ...

im planning a child with my wife .. hopefully in the next year or so .. (yes im a planner about anything money wise LOL) ..

what are you guys doing for formula? my wife is not 100% into breast feeding although i hope to change this (yes she is primal) ... i know there are some that are better tahn others ..

and when the children get older, i am not interested in feeding them milk .. i dont think its meant for us, im just that way ..

what are you feeding YOUNG babies (read 6months - 3-4 years old) that is ensuring nutrients etc ? i assume a primal diet wold work fine with them, blended up if need be when young

just wanted to discuss it .. most of everything i see is for school agge children ..

thanks!
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

ps - if you do go formula ... say a 30oz can, how long does that last? 2-3 days?

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Well we have a 3 month old, she is on 100% breast milk and will be untill she is at least 6 months old.
    Then we will go down the Baby Led weaning route, basically just offering her some of what we are having, and continuing breastfeeding untill she self weans.
    We did BLW with the last one, and it really is very easy, her first food was brocoli, held herself and gummed most enthusiasticly. Not much goes down at first, but it's really not as messy as you would think. Plus no buggering arround with a blender.

Personally I would avoid formula at all costs, but that's just our opinion and the Mrs is happy to be a full time baby feeding machine

We do and did offer the midget cows milk as a drink, but she mostly takes water now, but we have milk in tea and coffee so it is in the house, if we didn't have it our-selves then it wouldn't be offered. If you (well not you personally but you know what I mean)are breastfeeding on demand though the weaning stage there is no nutritional need for milk or formual or 'follow on mik' or toddler milk' or kitten milk or any other such crap.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

we are lucky to only need 2 days of day care because of our schedules and being able to swap days off during the week ..

so with any luck the baby will be with one of us 5 days out of the week (both of us 2 LOL) ...

i would love to convince my wife to bf .. perhaps when she sees the costs she will reconsider .. but stlil she will have to pump because of work etc, and in her position that might not be the easiest thing

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    we are lucky to only need 2 days of day care because of our schedules and being able to swap days off during the week ..

so with any luck the baby will be with one of us 5 days out of the week (both of us 2 LOL) ...

i would love to convince my wife to bf .. perhaps when she sees the costs she will reconsider .. but stlil she will have to pump because of work etc, and in her position that might not be the easiest thing
    You could rent really good pumps. Just pump on your lunch break. Even if it wasnt a cost thing I would only breast feed just for the health and well being of my child. Plus there is the psychological aspect of breast feeding your child.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

agreed on all of that, but my wife isnt into it at this point ... she works in retail and breaks vary and sometimes there are none .. although im sure her company (95% women) would accomodate her ..

id give anything to have the child breast fed!

McChunky is offline Member
    Has your wife read much about breast feeding? Her reluctance might just be lack of information and the cultural taboo some people still unfortunately have about it.

It is literally the perfect food designed exactly for your baby. Always available, always the right temperature and well, free.

There are a lot of things I thought I didn't want to do prior to having kids (cosleeping, nursing past 1 year) but you change a lot once that baby is in your arms so she may very well change her mind.

If I couldn't nurse or pump, the only other option I might entertain is the homemade formulas from Weston A Price. Regular formula seems like junk food to me.

As far as what we feed our kids, they eat everything we do the only exceptions are very spicy or chewy foods.

shmee is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand this logic.

Would she feed your soon to be child a bag of Doritos for lunch because she didnt' feel like making a healthy lunch?
    Start Weight: 265.8
    Current Weight: 234.4
    Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    A breast pump may be covered by insurance (under the durable medical equipment category) - many people don't know that & pay out of pocket when it could have been covered. Some of the nicer ones are fairly expensive.

Is your wife primal too? I find it hard to believe she is if she's not into breast feeding!!!

Hopefully she will at least try BF for a while. Once she meets the little babe I'm guessing she'll be willing to at least try breast feeding as it is best nutrition wise + bonding wise. Most hospitals nowadays encourage it (thankfully) and have lactation consultants on staff to help out, etc. Plus if you guys take any baby prep classes while she's pregnant they will push breast-feeding (again, thankfully).

The problem is that THERE REALLY IS NO GOOD ALTERNATIVE TO BREAST FEEDING. Any subsititute does not even come close to breast milk.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Breast milk is ideal, formula is a fine alternative. My wife had problems and couldn't produce enough breast milk so we went with formula. As for food, make your own baby food. It is cheaper and more nutritious and very easy to do.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast