wakame
    hijiki
    nori
    aosa
    ao nori
    mozuku
    umi budo

all fantastic when prepared and used correctly
    Can you share some tips? I like wakame with my sardines and maybe some sesame oil and tamari. I tried some hijiki today and it is interesting. Totally different from what I was expecting. Little seed-like pieces almost.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Sea beans! Also called samphire. I don't know if they grow in the water exactly but they are only found in coastal areas so I assume so. Very popular in the Mediterranean region, simply boiled then served cold with olive oil and lemon juice. I've seen them a few times at Whole Foods.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I tried organic Dulse and could not eat more than a bite. Any recipies to use up the rest of the package, folks? Would be grateful to make something edible of it!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I get some from my local Asian market, no idea what the hell they actually are. Will make impromptu seaweed salads, or throw into the pot with bone broths.

Two notes of caution. I love the seaweed salad from sushi joints, but it's all loaded with sugar. Also, bought some seaweed snacks from Costco, tasty things, but after eating half of them saw vegetable oil on the ingredients list. Just be aware that some snacks may hide nasty cargo.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Laver Bread ... big tub of the stuff from Swansea market!

I used to live in Swansea (South Wales, UK) and the best ... THE BEST ... came off Swansea market. Fresh seaweed, boiled down to a slop and doled out in polystyrene cups. Squirt of vinegar and an accompanying pot of cockles. Heaven!

That's how to eat seaweed!

Pre-paleo, heavily buttered white bread toast and a good glob of laver bread. Wow! Nowadays, I slice up some mushrooms, fry off in pork fat and accompany with a good glob of laver bread.

Interested? Want to put some money down for this most excellent British (paleo?) delicacy?
    Laverbread Parsons Pickles

I am not connected with these people, but this is where I buy mine now I don't live anywhere near Swansea market.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I threw a few of the dulse in the quick 'soup' I was making with my beef tongue and bock-choy, and that went Okay. I will keep doing that with my soups.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Blanchy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I threw a few of the dulse in the quick 'soup' I was making with my beef tongue and bock-choy, and that went Okay. I will keep doing that with my soups.
    When I first tried dulse my reaction was "This is like eating what low tide smells like. Gross." However, if you just keep eating little bits now and then, it definitely grows on you. Maine Sea Vegetables sells powdered dulse that you can sprinkle on things-I like it in tuna or salmon salad.
    "Its not about how strong you are, its how well you can move with that strength."

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    All of them!
    Seriously... I haven't met a sea veg I dislike yet. Wakame, arame, hijiki, and fat choy/black moss are staples in my dry pantry. Kombu is as well to make stocks with. And nori... though I don't eat it solo... gotta try that nori as a cracker thing.

If you have a local asian market there is a good chance you can get the fresh sea weed for sea weed salad there either in the cold case or in the freezer. I always pick this up when I can.

I had to quit dulse as I'm on a sodium restricted diet and it's the saltiest of the sea veg.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

llong is offline Junior Member
    I have tried eating Nori sheets vs taking a kelp supplement.
    I found that the effect on my metabolism was obvios when I ate nori but not when I took the kelp supplement.
    I felt warmer (I'm notoriously cold most of the time) and more energetic with the nori.
    Any similar experiences?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast