Thread: Newbie .... page

Coll is offline Senior Member

Newbie ....

Been lurking for a while and reading etc. I am desperately needing to get more healthy and while I have cut out almost all refined foods over the last few years I have still been eating too many carbs. Ezekiel bread and lots of chocolate! My downfall is the sweet stuff and I am really overweight, 5'7" and 225 lbs I was always active and reasonably slim for many years despite my addiction to sugar, but my age has caught up with me now and my weight keeps creeping upwards, pretty scarey. My mom was recently diagnosed as type II diabetic and that has been a wake up call for me in a sense as I know I am on the same road. I also have a skin condition that I believe may be helped by changing my lifestyle. A couple days ago I decided to cut out all grains (not many) and all sugar for a while ... or forever. I am pretty nervous about this because DH is not totally onboard and can bring goodies home that I find very tempting. I find if I avoid all sugar I get over the craving and do fine without it. It is just staying away from it, no matter what comes up, that is hard. A couple years ago I had gotten down to about 185 lbs and felt so good, but lost it and started the whole cycle of binging on chocolate and haven't been able to get back on track since. I love the forum here and can see that it is going to be extremely helpful.

Anyway, have started doing more activity during the day and not sure what to do for 'intensity' type workouts as I am in really bad shape and am afraid I may hurt myself if I try sprinting at the moment. I thought of a brisk walk ... what do you suggest? And for how long? I have ordered the primal blueprint book through the library but there are a number of other holds on it so have to wait.

randamom is offline Junior Member
    First of all, give yourself credit for knowing you need to change your diet and get moving! I too, love the sugar, and it really is hard to stop. I suggest you take small steps, perhaps with choosing to eat no processed "goodies". If you must have something, make it yourself, using the best ingredients you can, still trying to stay away from flour and white sugar. There are so many great recipe sites...just google paleo/primal sweets and you'll find them. They won't taste like what you're used to, but that's what you need to do.

My family is not totally primal, at all. But they respect my food choices, and I just don't eat the side dishes. And try to think of the good parts...you get to eat fat! Butter, good oils all make food taste great, as does bacon. So try to see that as your splurge, not the sugar. Plan ahead, make lists, and write your food down...all of this takes alot of work, but you will find it is worth it. And you are correct in saying that this site has so much info, as well as support from people who have been exactly where you are. I always come here for support, because these people can relate. As far as exercise, I can't be of much help, for I was in decent shape and exercised prior to becoming primal...you will get tons of feedback from others.

Hang in there, be good to yourself, and stick with it...you're worth it!

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the reply Randamom! I have always loved meat and fat - could eat it at every meal. I knew that fat was good for me and have not been restricting it, good butter, olive oil on salads, coconut oil once in a while (I don't feel too good when I have much) and I LOVE the fat on meat. I am not really a baked goods person, don't like pasta at all, my problem is chocolate and resorting to bread when in a hurry or tired as it is so quick and convenient. I am sure I am probably eating too much still - just not very good at figuring out portion sizes. Am trying to listen to my body more and stop when I have had enough. I am wondering if I should quit the dairy for a while too just to minimize the amount of 'sugar' I am getting. I love cheese and cream and raw milk... but don't have much milk at the moment (just enough for two cups of black tea every day)