Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calorie per day calculation? I am 5'11, 220 lbs page

Warmblood58 is offline Junior Member

Calorie per day calculation? I am 5'11, 220 lbs

Primal Fuel
    Hey Groksters,

Been forgetting about calories . . . . how many calories should I take in each day for weight loss with primal. best calculation for this? My goal is 175lbs, high school weight. Mahalo!

otzi Guest
    You need somewhere between 1000 and 3000 calories for weight loss.

Seriously, no one can answer your question. So many variables, plus many will tell you calories don't matter so don't count them.

I'm 46, 5'11, male, been following PB for a little over a year and went from 220 to 170 in that time. I counted calories a little when I hit stalls, and found I could eat around 2500 calories at first and lose weight but now I need around 1500 to lose.

If you eat right and exercise, you will feel full, not have the urge to snack and spontaneously increase your activity level because you feel so good. You need to lose the 'how many calories do I need' mentality and start eating right first and foremost. If you are eating right and still not losing, then count your calories and restrict a bit.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    You need somewhere between 1000 and 3000 calories for weight loss.

Seriously, no one can answer your question. So many variables, plus many will tell you calories don't matter so don't count them.

I'm 46, 5'11, male, been following PB for a little over a year and went from 220 to 170 in that time. I counted calories a little when I hit stalls, and found I could eat around 2500 calories at first and lose weight but now I need around 1500 to lose.

If you eat right and exercise, you will feel full, not have the urge to snack and spontaneously increase your activity level because you feel so good. You need to lose the 'how many calories do I need' mentality and start eating right first and foremost. If you are eating right and still not losing, then count your calories and restrict a bit.

Good luck.

Definitely eating right, but I lost track for a week of eating too much fat and not paying attention to the total calories consumed -I am going to play with 1,500 to 2,000 and see if by monitoring that, I see the results I am looking for. Of course, these calories will be coming from high quality fats, less than 100 gr of carb a day etc. but do want to double check calories as they do matter -thanks

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I never counted but I did track to see how my diet changed and the effect on my body. The more you listen to your bodies needs the less likely you are to over eat.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmblood58 View Post
    Hey Groksters,

Been forgetting about calories . . . . how many calories should I take in each day for weight loss with primal. best calculation for this? My goal is 175lbs, high school weight. Mahalo!
    Aloha! You from Hawaii? Just curious...where do you buy your meat?

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Aloha! You from Hawaii? Just curious...where do you buy your meat?
    Living in Kauai in a hotel on a consulting job with no kitchen so I have been getting creative -I wish I had the option to buy meat!

JazzWorthy is offline Member
    Counting calories is silly. Stop counting calories, and start listening to your body. Eat primal until you're satisfied, then don't eat again until you're hungry. Read user Griff's sig. Calorie counting may be one of the most ridiculous things to come out of the 20th century IMO.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    ~Lord Byron

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Living in Kauai in a hotel on a consulting job with no kitchen so I have been getting creative -I wish I had the option to buy meat!
    Ah, interesting situation. At least you get a bunch of fresh fish to eat in poke ever day, at least, no? And some wild boar, perhaps?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Hey Groksters,

Sorry, this isn't a question anyone else can answer. Individuality and context are HUGE. For instance, I am almost exactly your height and weight, and was when I started primal(difference is in BF% and health). I lost ~50lbs eating as much as 6000cal/day(and as little as 0 when I fasted). These days I eat 2-4k calories a day, though again, sometimes as 6k, or as little as 0. That doesn't help much, does it?

Start eating to satiety with primal and go from there. Get your diet dialed in, and if you still aren't losing, try counting, then cutting calories if needed. Few fit-ish men need to.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzWorthy View Post
    Counting calories is silly. Stop counting calories, and start listening to your body. Eat primal until you're satisfied, then don't eat again until you're hungry. Read user Griff's sig. Calorie counting may be one of the most ridiculous things to come out of the 20th century IMO.
    While I buy into the whole Primal/paleo way of life, I also understand that the equation for daily caloric intake and weight gain/loss is fact. Eating nutrient rich and high quality fat calories is important, but so is not over exceeding daily caloric intake. I am eating when I am hungry but also balancing insulin levels too -nothing ridiculous about being mindful of daily caloric intake, especially in relation to how physically active you are, the more you burn due to physical demands, the more you can take in - I am keeping my caloric intake below 2,000 a day and lower while eating primally -so far so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast