Thread: Heart rate help page

The Scott is offline Member

Heart rate help

Shop Now
    I have finally come to the realization that for me to look the way i want I need to focus on that before focusing on performing the way I want. So, I have had to modify what i normal choose to do for exercise (at least the general intensity) and keep my cortisol low and my diet and rest on.

With that said. I have been doing lean gains method for fat loss and my diet is great and I have no issues at all. I have been hitting the treadmill 4 days per week lightly (at least to me very light intensity) but today i decided to wear my heart monitor to know for sure what i am doing.

I had been setting up the treadmill so I was merely slightly out of breath, nothing more than maybe 5 seconds from fully recovering my breath as a gauge to my intensity. I always have enjoyed working out at 120% conditioning style drills so, I am not a custom to just slightly breathing heavy. None of the machines at my gym measure my hr, not at all, zero, so I wore my hr to get a feel for what I am doing. Well, as it turns out im moving at 160-170 beats , well into anaerobic zone and destroying my glycogen stores and essentially burning off all the carbs I ate yesterday. Or am i being dramatic? According to any chart I see I should be at about 120-30 ish, I dont even know how to go that slow.

I had been setting the treadmill at a 12% incline at about 3.5-4.0 and this has been a struggle for me to not ramp it up

any advice insight or comments?

The Scott is offline Member
    Nobody eh?

UpACreek is offline Member
    Train with the heart rate monitor on and stay within your zone. It won't be long at all and you'll be going the same speed you are now with the low heart rate - if you stick with it. It'll feel crazy-slow for a little while, but the speed will come. I just worked through that same issue.

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    The thing about heart rate training is that unless you know your maximum rate, all the charts and percentages are out the window. Two people the same age and weight can have drastically different maximum heart rates. I've seen my at over 200 while sprinting on a bike and I have a friend who has never seen his above 185.

So basically you have to test for your max, or just go by feel and back off if you are shooting for easy work. I think you should be able to regulate it fairly well on a treadmill.

trinity is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darylb View Post
    The thing about heart rate training is that unless you know your maximum rate, all the charts and percentages are out the window. Two people the same age and weight can have drastically different maximum heart rates. I've seen my at over 200 while sprinting on a bike and I have a friend who has never seen his above 185.

So basically you have to test for your max, or just go by feel and back off if you are shooting for easy work. I think you should be able to regulate it fairly well on a treadmill.
    +1

I thought I was working at an ok pace when I first started running then when I first got my HRM it was showing a "really" high HR, or so I thought. After running in a few races/utilising sprint interval training I found my Max HR to be at least 205 rather than the 186 that the generic calculations came out as.

Once you feel confident in your aerobic ability/fitness you can try to find your own MHR. Take care though. Once you know your MHR you can work out where you own specific zones are. Or just use the perceived effort scale.