Thread: Sugar - gout - cherries page

driftwood is offline Senior Member

Sugar - gout - cherries

Hey folks I know sugar is bad and have cut down to 2 brown sugars and that's it.

I currently have a gout attack from god knows where. I stopped carbs, etc etc.

Anywhos I di have high uric acid and am doing/trying cherry juice. But that has high sugar content.... Ummmm?

So should I be worried with the amount if sugar Imam getting from cherry juice? One serving has 26grams. It,s all natural..
    Last edited by driftwood; 02-21-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

Bump

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My boyfriend thought he might have gout at one point. His mom tried to convince him he had it and she also turned him on to the cherry juice. He's been drinking that every day for a year. I think he realized he never had gout to begin with though but the cherry juice is pretty tasty.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    When I had gout 10 years ago (felt like glass shards where my big toe connects to the rest of my foot) I drank a lot of water (not TOO much or you'll cause other problems) and it went away in a day or two. Hey, worth a shot.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

shema is offline Senior Member
    I had an orthopedist that told me cherry juice is supposed to be very good for joints. A few years ago when i was pregnant I also drank cherry juice since I had bad leg cramps and supposedly the potassium in cherry juice is supposed to help and it certainly did!

If you get pure cherry juice it's actually quite sour, not very sweet, if I remember correctly. I honestly don't remember what the carb count was. But I drank very small quantities of it - probably a 1/4 a glass each night...you can experiment with small quantities to see if it helps. I agree that increasing fluid intake overall will also help.

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    Couldn't you just eat the cherries? At least you'd get some fibre, and it's not so processed!
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Hey folks I know sugar is bad and have cut down to 2 brown sugars and that's it.

I currently have a gout attack from god knows where. I stopped carbs, etc etc.

Anywhos I di have high uric acid and am doing/trying cherry juice. But that has high sugar content.... Ummmm?

So should I be worried with the amount if sugar Imam getting from cherry juice? One serving has 26grams. It,s all natural..
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post722698

jak757 is offline Member
    You have to make sure it's "tart cherry juice" -- not just cherry juice. And not just sugarless cherry juice that tastes tart. It's a specific type of cherry * juice. I drank it a few years ago while having gout attacks. I do believe it works, but it is REALLY high in sugar. You can also get tart cherry supplements -- capsules. I've gotten them locally at a health food store. The suggestion to drink a lot of water is right on the money. You need to flush the uric acid out of your body. If you are losing weight, the uric acid may be leaching out, causing a gouty flare up. At least that's my layman understanding. I have had gout on and off for years, been through it all.....I feel your pain. Literally!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tealia View Post
    Couldn't you just eat the cherries? At least you'd get some fibre, and it's not so processed!
    Currently $2.99/lb from Chile, better than any domestic I got last year at $6.99+. Or http://www.dole.com/EatRightLanding/...contentid=1373
    Last edited by IvyBlue; 02-22-2012 at 07:04 AM.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yea I beleive black cherries.. I got the organic pure concentrated down one, but yes high in sugar so that was worrying me as far as sugar.