Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil Smell page

fleet_fox is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hey everyone,

I just picked up some coconut oil nearby. Its Laxmi Brand and it doesn't have any additives as far as I can tell.

However this is my first time buying this product, and it has a very strong chemical-ish smell to it. Nothing sweet or aromatic like normal shredded coconut.

Is it possible that it is no good or is this normal for coconut oil? The consistency is very think and almost wax-like.

Thanks

Zophie is offline Senior Member

Hey there,

It is normal for it to be thick like that. I just gave mine a sniff and it just has a very mild smell not chemical at all. I bet it is just the brand you got. Was it in the fridge when you got it? I know that it can go rancid after a while.

fleet_fox is offline Junior Member

Yea it wasn't refrigerated. It also doesn't say "extra virgin" if that makes a difference. It has probably been on the shelf for a while.

I went back to the shop (an indian grocery mart) and the clerk said that is the normal smell but I'm not sure I believe them.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Is it in a blue bottle?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

janaturner is offline Junior Member

I've had that smell regardless of how "unprocessed" the jar proclaims it to be! I haven't been able to figure out why there's such variance. I don't remember the last brand I had but it was the worst. Artisana is pretty good but Nutiva has the best aroma and flavour of any I've tried so far. I can eat Nutiva straight out of the jar.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Okay well I got one from the indian grocer and I thought it smelled like hot dogs!!! So I just use it fo lotion, I would never eat it. Just go ahead and go to the health food store and get some... its very faintly sweet and coconutty.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

grandma is offline Member

TT -- I bet the hot dog smell drives the men wild ;-)

I bought some from walmart -- I was dissapointed that it is flavorless. the 365 brand from WF has a nice coconutty taste.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

Why was the coconut oil in the fridge? That seems a very odd place to keep it. Especially when it's shelf-stable for years.

Also, extra-virgin is a marketing scam. There is not extra virgin coconut oil. Virgin is fine.

maba is offline Senior Member

@fleet_fox: Does it say "hair oil" on the bottle? Indian stores carry refined, deodorized coconut oil for external use/as hair oil. I'm almost certain that it is not cooking oil. The blue bottle that Tara is talking about is certainly "hair oil" and it's a brand called Parachute.

Don't use it or return it if you can. Or you can use it as a moisturizer. There are lots of brands of virgin coconut oil that you can buy in health stores or online. Try Tropical Traditions or Nutiva, the 2 brands that I've tried and like. I believe you can get a gallon of Nutiva for under $50 on their website.

elorajade is offline Senior Member

I would be wary, as Maba above states.

The coconut oil I buy to cook with, is very different from the stuff I make soap and body products from. It likely is cosmetic grade and not food grade. See if you can find the food grade disclaimer on the bottle.

I would be wary about buying from a place like that, only cause I want fresh, and I'd be worried how long it sat on a shelf. I tend to buy from places that have several different types, that way I know there is a demand.

SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast