Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok Ladies...need some opinions page

randamom is offline Junior Member

Ok Ladies...need some opinions

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

a few weeks ago I posted about my wt. loss plateau, even complaining that I had actually gained a few pounds. I took some advice and 2 weeks ago, increased protein intake, small decrease in fat intake due to weight gain (after much consideration from others...I weigh 145, don't freak out!).Here's a cliffnote version of what's been going on. Still exercising 4 days/wk, taking vitamin supplements, nothing funky; have not changed anything major. I am being very careful, recording food, trying to decipher what the hell is going on. In simple terms, I was easily 140-142 lbs. this summer, and I cannot budge this weight. This past fall, was having troubles with my birth control and heavy bleeding; changed pills numerous times, ended up on 35mg dose of estrogen pill without much change in bleeding, and feeling fat from it; took myself off last week after 2 months on this dose. Feeling puffy and bloated, constipated. Seeing big fluctuations throughout the days 148 (!!!) yesterday, 145 today. Wondering how much this has to do with the hormone thing, perhaps protein increase, being 44 and not being used to my body reacting to anything I throw at it. I have never put much stock into blaming hormones on anything. Am I just fooling myself? Could this be due to the changes I have made and am I being impatient? I am seriously going nuts about this. I don't know who's belly has attatched itself to my body!!!!!
    Last edited by randamom; 02-21-2012 at 07:59 AM.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain. Hormones do play a major role.. Sorry wish I had more of an answer for you.. I'm dying to get my hands on this:Amazon.com: Lady-Comp Fertility Monitor - Fahrenheit: Health & Personal Care , I just wish it wasn't do damn expensive! so I can get off the pills myself.

Chronic low calorie or low carb dieting can cause plateau's as well. Mixing it up with timing around heavy lifting or sprinting sessions MIGHT help you.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    It can take months to recover from the imbalances that hormonal birth control can cause. GIVE YOURSELF TIME. Yes, you are being impatient. I think it's also not a bad idea to go strict paleo or do a Whole30 if you want to ensure that you're not having any issues with dairy or something else.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Hormones absolutely affect weight--what we know about the mechanisms of weight gain and fat storage comes from endocrine research (thyroid hormones, cortisol, insulin, leptin, androgens, estrogens...) and messing with one part of the system is likely to affect others.

Birth control pills are known to cause weight gain in a lot of women, and estrogen therapy can cause water retention issues as well. I think you'll need to let your body stabilize from the many changes in hormone doses and such over the last few months before you'll be able to determine the effects of your diet on the whole thing. You might also want to talk to your doctor again and make sure there's not something else going on.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Birth control pills can definitely make a difference. I was losing a pound a week when I was on a low-dose pill, but due to constant spotting I switched back to a regular dose one (Seasonique). I gained back everything I lost (6 lbs, yes that's not too much but I'm 5'9" so the difference between 134 and 140 is quite noticeable) very quickly. Now I am stuck at my original weight & measurements and nothing will budge it, even though I'm being much more careful about my diet and have added strength training to my routine. My own personal theory is that for some women, the extra hormones switch something on in your body that makes your body think it's pregnant so it needs to not lose that little bit of extra fat ("those last 10 lbs"). It seems like it would make sense. I have no idea if it's a scientifically accurate theory, it's just what it feels like to me.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I haven't taken any birth control in 8 years but I can't seem to move my weight any lower either. I'm stuck at 136-8. Low carb I can keep it here. More carb and I overeat and I'm not willing to overeat long enough to gain it all back.

I guess the only thing I haven't really tried yet is sprinting. That's supposed to have some kind of hormonal effect. I have a hard time getting over looking like an idiot to try it. Plus sprinting was the last thing I did while I was trying to lose weight with low-cal/low-fat and lots of running and it brings up bad memories.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

randamom is offline Junior Member
    Well, at least I know I'm not alone in this! My workouts do include sprinting and lifting heavy things, for sure! And the only dairy I have is greek yogurt...I've also taken nuts out of the diet. I know I'm just being a freak, and I should be patient. This negative change happened pretty rapidly and I cannot help getting frustrated. For the way I choose to eat, and the way I work out, I DESERVE A GREAT BODY, because I am really working on it. Hoping I can figure out what the cause is. ! Thanks for the support girls!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    The fluctuations you mention must be fluid retention - fat gain doesn't happen that fast. I suspect your bc is not helping. I know how frustrating it is to be doing everything right and not getting the result you want. Maybe have a think about mineral deficiencies. Iodine is the mineral du jour on this site right now (with good reason imo) but check others as well. I'm experimenting with Iodine at the moment. Problem is that some people get weight gain with the detox. Again this is likely to be fluid retention. Something is out of balance in your system. One thing I like about Paul Jaminet's Perfect Diet is that he looks into the issue of minerals in more detail than PB. Might be worth a look.

Also check for toxins in the environment like chlorine and flouride in water which can affect mineral uptake. You might be getting enough in your diet but environmental toxins are inhibiting uptake.

PaleoCowgirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    I feel your pain. Hormones do play a major role.. Sorry wish I had more of an answer for you.. I'm dying to get my hands on this:Amazon.com: Lady-Comp Fertility Monitor - Fahrenheit: Health & Personal Care , I just wish it wasn't do damn expensive! so I can get off the pills myself.

Chronic low calorie or low carb dieting can cause plateau's as well. Mixing it up with timing around heavy lifting or sprinting sessions MIGHT help you.
    I'm coming off HBC and looking at Paragard (copper IUD no-hormones), but this machine looks like it could be the ultimate non-invasive solution! Can you tell me more about it? If I'm hypothyroid and have low temps, would the readings be accurate?

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    I think the lady comp is not the most reliable method. I think for better options, one should read the terribly named book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and learn how to chart. I have used something called the OvaCue for fertility purposes, and it can also be used for prevention. Lots of people I have read feel that the lady comp isn't effective for ovulation prediction due to lack of ability to input variable cycles. Ovulation prediction is what you need to prevent pregnancy.
    That being said, I think that charting (Also see fertilityfriend.com) is a great way to know what is going on. Then you can see if you want to use protection for just a few days per month once you know your cycle. Bazillions of good sites out there on this, but fertility friend is a good start, and the book is fascinating and helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast