Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Aticle on Why Wheat Sucks page

primalrob is offline Senior Member

Great Aticle on Why Wheat Sucks

Shop Now
    I haven't seen it posted yet, so here it is:

Three Hidden Ways Wheat Makes You Fat - The Huffington Post

a lot of familiar ground for most of us here, but a great resource for those who are trying to explain the benefits of primal or paleo to skeptical or resistant friends and family.

Primal Bob is offline Member
    Awesome, thanks for sharing. When I told my mother what we were doing with a shift in diet, she didn't really understand it and thought I was dead wrong when I told her the damage that wheat does to you.

She still proceeds to send me macaroni and cheese recipes.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Great article!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Great summery with good references to back it up.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Great article, thanks! It made me wonder, however, can one still buy the "old" wheat? If one wanted to, of course!

Gwynn

Yes, there is at least one source in the States and one in Canada that I know of.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Great summery with good references to back it up.
    Good references? There are 5 references in the article, none of them directly linking wheat to any problems in humans other than those with celiac disease. And most of the claims he makes in the article don't have any reference. I can go through and point out a bunch of them if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Good references? There are 5 references in the article, none of them directly linking wheat to any problems in humans other than those with celiac disease. And most of the claims he makes in the article don't have any reference. I can go through and point out a bunch of them if you would like.

There is NOTHING in grains that we can't get from a tastier more nutrient dense source. If whole grains are so good as you claim there must be hundreds of studies showing how eating whole grains is better than eating real wholesome food like we do on a Primal/Paleo Diet.

There are lots of studies quoted in Cordain's The Paleo Answer and Davis' Wheat Belly that show how bad wheat and grains are and that eliminating them is VERY beneficial but I have yet to find a study that shows tasteless, high GI grains are of any benefit at all.

I have asked you before and you failed to provide one so I will ask again...what I would love is a review that shows whole grains are good for you - not just better than refined grains but actually better for you than not eating them at all.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 02-21-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    There is NOTHING in grains that we can't get from a tastier more nutrient dense source. If whole grains are so good as you claim there must be hundreds of studies showing how eating whole grains is better than eating real wholesome food like we do on a Primal/Paleo Diet.
    This is a straw man argument. You act as if I am saying that grains are a good replacement for vegetables or meat. That just isn't the case. What I am saying is that there is absolutely no evidence that eating a moderate amount of grains, along with a balanced diet of whole foods, is harmful (barring allergy). If anything the evidence points to the opposite.

There are lots of studies quoted in Cordain's The Paleo Answer and Davis' Wheat Belly that show how bad wheat and grains are and that eliminating them is VERY beneficial but I have yet to find a study that shows tasteless, high GI grains are of any benefit at all.

I have asked you before and you failed to provide one so I will ask again...what I would love is a review that shows whole grains are good for you - not just better than refined grains but actually better for you than not eating them at all.

Here is an article on the beneficial effects of phytic acid, something that the primal community shuns:

Cancer Inhibition by Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6) and Inositol: From Laboratory to Clinic

And why don't you post some studies showing that wheat and grains are bad for you. I would love to see some studies that show increased wheat consumption increases risk of disease. I don't think I have ever seen a study that even suggests this. If wheat was so bad, wouldn't there be studies that show it increases risk of disease, instead of showing the opposite?
    Last edited by jimhensen; 02-21-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Great article, thanks! It made me wonder, however, can one still buy the "old" wheat? If one wanted to, of course!

Gwynn
    The Whole Foods near me has Jovial Einkorn wheat pasta and cookies. Jovial also produces Einkorn wheat flour, but I haven't seen it at WF.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast