Thread: Food combining principles relevant to Paleo? page

MarkG is offline Junior Member

Food combining principles relevant to Paleo?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I recently stumbled onto some literature which advocates only eating foods in certain combinations. Ie fruits always to be eaten by themselves. Never combine proteins with carbs. Eat only one kind of protein during meals.

Im always interested in new approaches, just wondered if anyone had heard of this, and how/if relates to the paleo ideology at all.

One thing that did get me thinking was that in nature, I guess there really are only certain kind of combinations normally available. Its only through humans recent advances in technology that we can now literally combine different kinds of foods in ways that were never remotely possible.

This link probably explains it best

HPS Health- Food Combining, Trophology, Diet and Nutrition, Dieting and Weight Control.

thoughts?

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    My mum did the protein carb splitting when it was popular in the 80s. Not with any endurance or success as far as I can remember.
    I had a look at the website, but didn't dig very deep. It's setting off my bullshit detector. There isn't any real reasoning given for anything, and what there is seems to be going in loops and rely on twisting words, e.g. The times thing: real headline 'myths of exercise' translation 'exercise is a myth'.

As for the idea of things not being available at the same times in nature, that's not really true. Some things are indeed seasonal and depending in breeding and growing seasons, but there is always plenty of overlap, excepting a certain lack of variety in winter. However even a squirrel can store food for lean times. While preserving fresh food is recent, preserving food by alteration is not. Meat and fruit can be dried, vegetables, especially roots, can be stored to last the winter.

Don't try to over complicate paleo/primal eating. Cut out grains, sugar and plastic foods, try it for a while, then think about tweaks if it truly seems necessary.

Monika is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyRoots View Post
    I had a look at the website, but didn't dig very deep. It's setting off my bullshit detector. There isn't any real reasoning given for anything, and what there is seems to be going in loops and rely on twisting words, e.g. The times thing: real headline 'myths of exercise' translation 'exercise is a myth'.
    I love it! BS Detector...

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I personally avoid combining high carbs with high fat. My stomach doesn't like it very much.

Also, it tends to make me break out a bit with acne. I believe it's because high carbs spike insulin, the sugars get transported all over your body and increases skin cell proliferation. And when your blood sugar spikes, you immune system becomes temporarily overactive. Now, that combined with the more-oily skin caused by high fat consumption creates the perfect storm for acne (lots of dead skin cells, oily skin, and overactive immune system).

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Don't stress it. The only thing you should avoid is pairing LOADS of carbohydrate with LOADS of fat, e.g. eating two pounds of potatoes with six tablespoons of olive oil. If you're having a carbohydrate-heavy dish, go easy on the fat (no need to avoid it entirely), and vice versa. For example:

Carb-Heavy Smoothie: 2 bananas, 5 strawberries, 1 cup of frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup of fresh-squeezed orange juice, and 1/4 cup of coconut milk (fat source).

Fat-Heavy Smoothie: 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 1/2 cup of raw full-fat yogurt, 2 tablespoons of sprouted almond butter, 1 cup of frozen blueberries (carb sources).

Notice how the "lesser" macronutrient accounts for a small fraction of the whole drink. Apply the same principle to meals. If you eat a huge steak, don't eat seven bananas after. Stick with one.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    too complicated for me TGAF

when you get into the whole "no combining sub-acid fruits with other acid fruits" I get lost.

but whatever works for ya

Primal Bob is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post

when you get into the whole "no combining sub-acid fruits with other acid fruits" I get lost.

I agree with this. It's kind of a cliche around here to say "our ancestors didn't do this," but...our ancestors didn't give a flying f*ck about whether they were mixing incompatible food sources. They only worried about whether or not what they were eating was going to sustain them.

MarkG is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post

Its not something I do, just something I found during my random internet browsing. I dont like it personally because it does seem overly complicated but Im always willing to try and find out a bit more about alternative approaches. After all isn't that the way most of us started down the paleo road?

I think Tarek has a pretty good system. There definitely seems to be a lot of merit in limiting combining loads of carbs with loads of fat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Shouldn't really be something you have to think about much, imo. Just note how you feel.
    I usually don't eat just fat and carbs together because it doesn't leave me satiated very long.