Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fooled by Sun-Maid page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

So, over at the nursing home/rehab place where my mother has been for almost two months, my sister has a little packet of dried fruit. Pineapple, mango, papaya pieces by Sun-Maid.

Very tasty, and at while carby, it's fruit. Very tasty.......hmmmm....way too tasty.....(stops chewing).....checks ingredients......at the first glance how could 3 items have a long ingredient list?.......(expletive).....all three fruits with added sugar!

They must soak the pieces in sugar water since they weren't coated with sugar.

They just can't leave well enough alone, can they?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Grrrrrrrrrr I too was ticked to find out that the craisins my boys LOVE to eat at grandmas have added sugar. Sigh...

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Kryz is offline Junior Member

Uhg, I hate when I find stuff like that out. Nuts with msg? wtf?

lesliek is offline Member

I was just about to buy Franny's Organic Jumbo Seedless raisins (good price and available at local supermarket) when I saw vegetable oil on the ingredients list. Whyyy?

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I've seen dried fruit at the co-op, the holy temple of clean foods, that was dried with "evaporated cane juice" or "apple juice".

Mom2DisneyGirl Guest

That has to be so disappointing! I just rechecked my organic raisins. Ingredients: Organic raisins...Whew!

paleo_piper, nothing makes me madder than finding a product I've been looking for and then it reads "evaporated cane juice"..WHY?????

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

They try to sneak it into everything, don't they?? With all those hidden names like dextrose (corn sugar) or cane juice. I found it in some fish oil capsules once. I went, "Bwuh??" First, you swallow it, no taste involved and secondly WHY?

It's doubly baffling when you find it on fruit. It's fruit! It should be sweet enough on it's own.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

The reason for the evaporated cane juice is because it is (snark snark) SO much better for you than just plain old sugur.

"Oh, look dear, these are healthy! No sugar!"

hannahc is offline Senior Member

OTB this makes me sad too! When I've been driving and had to stop for something to keep me awake I get SO frustrated looking at the damn ingredients on everything. Sometimes I want something other than just raw almonds you know? Sometimes I really want prunes even (what, they're good!) but still...sugar or evaporated cane juice or what's even better: apple juice concentrate! I love how sweet fruit tastes on it's own, I wish the food industry would let other people figure that out too.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

mayness is offline Senior Member

On the "evaporated cane juice" topic...

I was looking at some uncured salami, of all things, and noticed that in the "contains 2% or less" section of the ingredients it listed both "sugar" and "natural flavorings (including evaporated cane juice)." Umm... huh? I can only guess that there's somewhere around 3% sugar in the stuff, and if they split it up into two different items, they could include it in that "2% or less" section. =P

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast