Thread: Primal and pregnant? page

Jenclark is offline Junior Member

Primal and pregnant?

Primal Fuel
    My story in a nutshell. Before son #1 I lost 100 pounds. I got pregnant at 130 pounds and gave birth at 200 eating a SAD. Here we are 7 years later getting ready to try for number 2. I just lost 55 pounds with about 35 more to go. I would like to still lose a bit more while pregnant and eating primal. My dr says its perfectly safe as long as I am eating my current caloric intake of roughly 2000 calories day. Yes in lose eating that much!! I am not here asking if this is safe etc. I have a serious medical condition that necessitates I stay at a lower weight. I got in a car accident and have 3 herniated discs and weightloss is the only thing that keeps the pain under control. This time around I hoping to keep from gaining weight( or very minnimal) has anyone here been primal and pregnant? What was your experience? Did you have 1 pregnancy eating a SAD and then one eating primal? How did your symptoms and weight gain compare? Thanks fit any input!!!

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    I can't really be of much help seeing as this is my first pregnancy, but I thought I'd reply anyway.
    I lost my appetite and was vomiting quite a lot in the first couple of months, after about 3 months it started to settle down and my appetite came back. I lost about two kilograms those months, and at the moment I'm only two kilograms heavier than I was before I got pregnant.
    But apart from the vomiting, a bit of dizziness and breathlessness(which are all quite common I think) I haven't had any problems worth mentioning. In fact I feel quite good these days! And I'm carrying twins which tends to make the pregnancy tougher. Even now at 21 weeks I can still hide my tummy, and people can't believe it's twins ...lol.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    I can't really be of much help seeing as this is my first pregnancy, but I thought I'd reply anyway.
    I lost my appetite and was vomiting quite a lot in the first couple of months, after about 3 months it started to settle down and my appetite came back. I lost about two kilograms those months, and at the moment I'm only two kilograms heavier than I was before I got pregnant.
    But apart from the vomiting, a bit of dizziness and breathlessness(which are all quite common I think) I haven't had any problems worth mentioning. In fact I feel quite good these days! And I'm carrying twins which tends to make the pregnancy tougher. Even now at 21 weeks I can still hide my tummy, and people can't believe it's twins ...lol.
    I hope all goes smoothly with your pregnancy! Do you know what you are having? Honestly with my first pregnancy I had no complaints other than being nauseous the first few months but other than that pretty easy. My labor was only a few hours too! It was just the weight gain that was out of control, some weeks I would gain 5 pounds! I am hoping for SUPER easy this time and less weight gain. The first time around I didn't show until late either, I was maybe 6 1/2 months along when you could tell.

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenclark View Post
    I hope all goes smoothly with your pregnancy! Do you know what you are having? Honestly with my first pregnancy I had no complaints other than being nauseous the first few months but other than that pretty easy. My labor was only a few hours too! It was just the weight gain that was out of control, some weeks I would gain 5 pounds! I am hoping for SUPER easy this time and less weight gain. The first time around I didn't show until late either, I was maybe 6 1/2 months along when you could tell.
    Thank you! I've got a good feeling about it and I think it will be fine. The babies have been growing well so far, and are very active.
    I don't know what I'm having no. We decided we want to keep that a surprise.

I hope I have an easy birth like you. I'm feeling quite healthy and I've always been quite fit so it's looking promising. But you never know.

I hope you succeed in getting pregnant.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Anyone else?

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    I am currently 5.5wks preg with #3. I am trying to eat Primal about 80%, and in the past 6mos or so, I feel so much better than usual.
    My other two pregnancies were me eating SAD. Child #1, I had hyperemesis (severe vomiting), gained 35lbs and she weighed 9.3lbs at birth. Child #2, I had hyperemesis again, though not as bad as #1, gained 28lbs and she weighed 10.12lbs at birth.
    I REALLY think that my SAD heavy in white carbs and dairy produced heavy babies. Not that heavy babies are a bad thing. They were both easy natural, medication-free births (7hrs and 11hrs respectively), though Child #2 was posterior.

That being said, I am now eating mostly Paleo and have had NO symptoms of pregnancy, aside from a positive test and my cycle is missing. I knew I was preg with the girls the moment from conception b/c I was throwing up so much. Maybe this one is a boy. It just feels so weird to have no symptoms! I know I am quite early, so they may creep in.
    I really think that Paleo eating makes a world of difference in handling morning sickness. I know that if I eat protein, I don't get queasy. Even now, if I eat something sugary, even some fruit, that it makes me nauseous. I am also hoping that by eating this way it will make a smaller baby. An 8lb baby would be awesome! If it does, it will be proof, to me, that the SAD makes people (and babies) fat.

I had a friend that had hyperemesis and had to go get and IV(daily?) just to stay alive because she couldn't even keep water down. It was awful. She was on meds too and her son was GIGANTIC.
    So with your first 2 you felt nauseous immediately? That would be great if it was the diet staving it off this time! With my son I was nauseous, not throwing up, most of my pregnancy. I tried everything and NOTHING worked to calm it down. I hope this next time to not gain as much weight, not be as sick and just have more energy! You'll have to keep us updated how things are going for you as your pregnancy progresses. It will be interesting to chat with other moms to see how a primal pregnancy vs. a SAD pregnancy compare in all aspects....

newlife77 is offline Member
    I've had 2 children on SAD diet (they're 5 and 3 now!) and I was absolutely sugar addicted by the end of each preg. So much so I had to be tested for Gest. Diabetes! Both 9lb + babies.

Unfortunately we're not having any more but there is a part of me that wud live to have tested out a SAD vs Primal preg! I was only watching a film on the Baka tribe the other day and the heavily preg Mum was still working as hard as the other women in her gathering, fishing and house building! Really wanted to c her labour but they didn't show it! But the following morning she was sitting there on the muddy floor of her hut looking as relaxed and "normal" as u can imagine!

I believe that current tribes across the world and Grokettes could not have allowed themselves to get so ill and vulnerable as it wud massively endangered their/their families lives! When I was preg people used to joke with me "well African tribeswomen pop out their baby in the feild and are back to hunting the next day!" and I really don't think that's far from the truth cos they're bodies are so well primed by primal!

H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!