Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living With Non-Groks page 3

Kent Hawley is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I tried to convince my mother to stop smoking for years, but she was puffing away even as she knew she was dying of cancer.

People will make their own decisions. Sometimes the best we can do is provide the information and a good example.

anniegebel Guest

DebFM...I have to laugh at "My kids eat good stuff most of the time but will eat the occassional bowl of oatmeal" Two weeks ago a bowl of oatmeal WAS eating well here. I was into a low fat, high fiber way of thinking and have taught my kids well. Especially my oldest (the 6 year old) knows that he should be eating high fiber foods. So, now I'm untraining them. The cereals they eat are like raisin bran things like that...again high fiber. So at least I'm not having to wean them off high sugary cereals, but there is still some work to do.

They do like yogurt, but are used to having granola in it (which I made at home...thinking I was being all healthy!), cheese, eggs, bacon...so I just need to start giving them more of that and less of the "norm" and we'll get there. With everything we've got going on over the next few months it's probably not the time to pull the rug out from underneath them and force them into something different. I'd like them to learn and love a Primal way of life, so a gentler transition will hopefully help with that.

The good news is...they LOVE all the energy Mama has now. And I'm telling them it's because I'm eating in a really cool new, and healthy way. They're intrigued...so it's just a matter of time!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

I also live with a non-grok (my fiance) who is not much of a foodie or big eater, unlike me. He tries to eat 'healthy' but non-primally but since I do ALL the cooking, his dinners are always primal (I am a great cook and he doesn't complain.) I've showed him the websites, we've talked but he's still stuck in CW and thinks that my two daily eggs are not good for me, despite my protestations. (And once at his mother's house for breakfast I ate an apple and several generous handfuls of nuts nuts while the rest of them had white flour focaccia with coldcuts and cheese, and his mother freaked out because I "didn't eat anything for breakfast." Hello, I just ate like 500 calories' worth of nuts!)

One of the problems, however, is that I come from a big emotional eating family and food is a big way in which my mom showed me affection and in which I do as well. My fiance loves muffins, especially to take to work, and while I bake a lot (and usually try to primalize the recipes as much as possible) sometimes I don't. Then am I not only sabotaging myself (how can I resist my own peanut butter banana chocolate chip muffins that are fresh out of the oven?) but I also feel like a hypocrite because I'm feeding others things that I know are not good for me....

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

Elana's pantry is a pretty good place to start, but I find myself having outgrown her recipes when I became fully primal. For one, she emphasises using the polyunsaturaed oils in her cooking. Secondly, she is still on a bit of a lowfat kick and talks about only eating lean meats like chicken or turkey. Thirdly, agave. Need I say more? It's in every recipe. When I find myself have to paleoise her recipes even when she's supposed to be a paleo-diet blogger, then it's time to move on.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of her recipes. I mean, her cracker recipe called for grapeseed oil?! I primalize my own recipes by using almond/coconut flour, and stevia or honey for sweetener if any. Every once in a while I make "regular" things for my non-groks because I still have flour and sugar sitting around in my cupboards. I have a huge sweet tooth and I do make primal desserts (like mousse or custard) but my fiance can't exactly take mousse to work for a snack, hence the semi-regular muffin making!

gazb is offline Junior Member

My flatmates are all very much non-Primal. Our kitchen is full of cereal boxes, vegetable oils, margarines, bread, extra lean meat, and pseudo-health-food like hemp oil (the bottle even states that it's high in omega 6 *facepalm*). I think I even saw a loaf of Weight Watchers bread once... WTF, why would any sort of bread have any place in the diet of someone who's watching their weight? And they always comment on the amount of meat I eat... I just live and let live really. I do wonder whether they think I'm in good health and shape because of, or despite, my diet, especially as they all seem to be in decent shape despite their diets.

kjake55 Guest

Hi,

I live with a confirmed non-grok who also has no interest in changing. He's an adult and I will let him make his choices. As for the kids, I can't speak much to that (I have a dog who will pretty much eat what I put in front of her no questions asked!) But I do make my owv version of "cereal" that may or may not fit the bill in your household. Serving size 1 bowl (for an adult, you may want to cut back for the kids) 1/2 cup raw thinly sliced almonds (Trader Joe brand), 1/4 cup blueberries, 2 tbl. unsweetened shredded coconut, 2 tbl ground flax. I top mune with almond milk but if you don't mind the kids doing dairy then I guess any milk will suffice. Every once in a while I add 1-2 tbl of dried bing cherries also. Captain crunch it aint but it's pretty good when you want a bowl of cereal.

anniegebel Guest

kjake55...thanks. My kids would totally go for that. The cereals they eat now are very similar, lots of nuts and dried fruit. Half the time they eat it without milk anyway and leave the flakes...so your little concoction would be a great transitional breakfast.

jspegel is offline Junior Member

I have been primal for 2 months now. My wife is not quite primal yet. She is getting closer and understands everything, but she is 34 weeks pregnant and she has some cravings that she gives in to. And quite frankly I am not going to stand in the way. It sadly has led to me not eating primal a few times, but overall I have done pretty good. As soon as our daughter is born she is going to start eating primal with me.

hippie_mama is offline Member

i'm totally stealing kjake's idea too!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast