Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living With Non-Groks page 2

anniegebel Guest

Thanks, everyone. I love what Mia said about this being a way of life for me first. As a mom, I don't often put me first. Thanks for the reminder.

Before making this change we had been trying to eat a healthy, low fat diet, focusing on whole grains and fruits and vegetables. Even though my oldest is only 6...already they've all learned that whole grains are important, thanks to CW! He even just learned about the food pyramid...with grains being a vital part of a healthy diet. ARG!

I love Diana's suggestion to add first before taking away. Great way to go about it...and will force me to make changes slowly. We're at a place in life where we're going to be making lots of changes anyway. It will be good to make it a more gradual change for them. I made my changes over about a week. There's may take longer...

As for my husband. He's leaving in about a month and will be eating at other people's hands for about 3 months. So, I'll let him keep his consistentcy for now...and maybe he'll be inspired by the changes he sees in me after that time apart to embrace more of a primal lifestyle once we're back together.

Thanks, again!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

And honestly - if you can get the kids to work with you improving 90% of their diet (at dinners and lunch times say) then while their breakfast may be far from ideal for a while it will still be a tremendous improvement over the SAD. You can introduce things like omelet muffins to supplement grainy breakfasts for a while. One of the things I've seen Mark say that I've really latched onto is "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

NicoB is offline Senior Member

I've just started making a real effort in eating Primal, but I'm currently living with Auntie MD (my aunt, who is a doctor, and smokes 1+ pack a day) and she does make things a bit more difficult...

She's stuck on CW and insist that cutting carbs and grains is unhealthy, and that fat will make you fat.

Luckily we're in France so it is more a question of the French paradox (baguettes, cheese,etc.) than a low fat point of view.

I'll move out once things stabilize, but got now I just try not to eat anything "bad" and suck it up the rest of the time.

Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

beckinwolf is offline Member

I live with my grandparents and they are about as opposite to primal as you can get. Canned, bagged, boxed, packaged, if its in a container, they'll eat it. Otherwise its too much trouble. I don't even try. There's just no point. I buy my own food and make my own meals. Sometimes they make stuff and leave the leftovers for me. That's the hardest part, since its usually stuff that I used to love. Like various pasta casseroles or lasagna. It's pretty much come down to the fact that I can't even open the pantry door. Nothing in there is healthy. And if I open it, its just a recipe for a cheat day.

Carpe Diem!

anniegebel Guest

Yeah, LX, you're probably right. They love eggs and usually have them with either cereal or with bagel on the weekends. So, it's just a matter of eventually weaning them off the bagel or cereal, but dinners are completely primal for all of us!

Little steps...

hippie_mama is offline Member

We've switched fresh berry and yogurt parfaits from a dessert or snack food to a breakfast food. My kids still eat bread (they've been raised on sandwiches up to this point, so it's going to take longer to phase that out), but they rarely ask for cereal anymore. Fortunately, it's almost spring, so fruit will start to get a little cheaper soon

Kryz is offline Junior Member

I live with my boyfriend and three roommates. My boyfriend doesn't seem to mind eating that way, although he's said he won't give up grains completely.

My roommates...well...one of the guys would probably go for it if I talked to him more about it. He's part native american (and not just one of those 'I'm 1/40th of um, you know, one of those southern tribes' people) and is interested in cultural heritage and anthropology. He was vegetarian for like 15 years though, and still has a hard time accepting things like 'egg yolks = good'.

Girl roommate is entirely un-primal. I've talked to her about it. She has anxiety issues and intense cravings and I've mentioned that I feel much better mentally when I don't eat sugar, and that sugar is addictive, etc. Yet sugar/carbs remain the bulk of her diet.

Other guy roommate, I don't even think I'll try to convince. Eats rice seemingly at every meal.

And come September I'll have another roommate, and although he's a very close friend, I don't know if I'd have much success. Very much a SADer: lives off of cheap, processed foods and fat-free dairy. Granted, he's lost a lot of weight (he used to be obese), but he's not healthy yet. If I can get him on the primal wagon, I'd be ecstatic, but it'd require a complete 180 of his current diet.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I guess I'd say it's easier to just give up. I've given up on my parents, for example. They've been vegetarian/vegan since the 70s and if they've done it this long, they're just not going to change. When they're at my place or I'm at theirs, I just cook. I get a lot of "That smells great, what are you making?" "Meat." I think that does a lot even if I don't know it. My mom told me about a month ago that what she really missed about eating meat was traditional sausages that her mom would make. (They lived in Germany in her youth) I told her it's not too late as long as she eats meats that were raised on pasture and makes it herself.

But I think most of the problem, especially from vegetarians/vegans, is that giving up that diet means having to admit they were wrong. So it's not about food or health, it's about that. I know. I was there once. I'm about 1/3rd in TVM, but it looks like Lierre was there too. Though I did get my parents to watch Food Inc, and I've sent my mom links to the soy page at WAPF.

The best way to do it is to really live healthfully. My aunt, a pescatarian & a diabetic, commented that I look so young and glowing. I've had dozens of people tell me I don't look a day over 22. I'm 28. Once, I passed by the high school on my bike and I was accosted by some admin/staff to get back inside or they would report me for truancy. Thanks to my looks, they thought I was a high school student! They didn't really believe me when I told them I was 27 either. If I could manage to lose some of my fat and put on more muscle, I'm sure that would make the case a little better too.

maba is offline Senior Member

DH was totally against my WOE when I started Primal about 6 months ago. He's a physician (and therefore totally into CW) and was flabbergasted at the amount of fat I used to eat. He also was a vegetarian but slowly started eating meat after seeing the changes I was going through and also since I'm the primary cook at home, he had no option but to eat what I cooked. He's not completely primal (still eats bread etc, albeit sprouted) but just the fact that he's started to eat meat is a HUGE change. He also has lost about 10 lbs without trying in the last 4-5 months since he started eating meat and whatever I cooked. He may not ever become completely primal but he's eating less carbs than before and is not anti-fat anymore. It will take time but whatever changes he's made in the last few months are more than what I hoped for, so I'm happy.

With your kids, if they don't have options other than what you cook, then it would be easy for them to transition into this way of eating. It maybe difficult to get rid of cereal, toast etc. if that's what they've been eating until now, but if you slowly reduced the amount and substituted it with, say eggs, then they will become primal before you know. Good luck.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hi Annie! I have two kids (one 6 y.o. and one 9 y.o.) & a husband that are semi-primal. I know it's hard. Luckily, we were doing WAPF before, so going primal's not a huge leap but it's especially difficult for my 6 year old. The 9 y.o. is infintely easier to deal with. Kids can be carb-addicted, too, and that's really hard to deal with.

Right now I'm fully primal & everyone else is semi-primal. My kids eat good stuff most of the time but will eat the occassional bowl of oatmeal and do eat sprouted wheat bread & sprouted wheat tortillas. There's never any cereal or other prepackaged stuff here. I transitioned them to coconut flour pancakes, too. That took about 6 weeks. By the end, they didn't notice the difference.

I try to give them veggie-based carbs for meals - potatoes, sweet potatoes and squash. For snacks we have cheese, jerky (which they *love* BTW), yogurt and sometimes fruit. For breakfast they love fried eggs, bacon and sausage or coconut flour pancakes. Sometimes even unbreakfast-y things like chicken curry salad work for them.

You can also make things like coconut flour muffins or almond-flour based things at least get them off of grain-based stuff. Warning: It works with one of my kids and not the other. Check out Elana's pantry for recipe suggestions. Just watch the sweetener. Her recipes are really sweet. Don't use the agave either. It's all fructose. Elana's pantry website is http://www.elanaspantry.com/ .

Good luck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast