Thread: Primal Journal (gempdx44 - trying to figure it all out) page

gempdx44 is offline Member

Primal Journal (gempdx44 - trying to figure it all out)

So I've been mostly lurking on these forums for awhile, with occasional posts. I read the Nutrition and Fitness forums almost daily, and appreciate all of the information that is shared. However, it can be overwhelming and I am finding myself having a hard time just picking a strategy and rolling with it, especially since new information seems to come out every day. I decided that starting a journal here would be a good place to keep myself accountable among others who get this way of eating and are struggling to lose weight.

Some stats:

-44 years old, female
    -5'4" tall, 157 pounds, 29% bodyfat
    ---Ideal weight is 135-140 pounds
    -Hashimoto's thyroiditis and on 125 mcg of Synthroid daily

I think I'll just start posting my food, exercise and supplements here, and if anyone wants to chime in with tips or constructive criticism, great! So here goes.

Monday 2/20/12

Today was not a stellar day for me dietwise.

B: 4 pieces bacon
    L: 4 oz leftover steak with about a cup of leftover grilled onions, red peppers, and mushrooms - plus about 5 macadamia nuts
    S: Due to my small lunch, I was STARVING with no healthy snacks at the office, so I hit up the vending machine and got a bag of Planters Peanuts
    D: Pho Ga (vietnamese soup with chicken, veggies, and rice noodles)
    S: 1/2 C plain greek yogurt + 1/2 C raspberries

Coffee with half and half + plain water throughout the day

Exercise: 30 minutes of slow walking on the treadmill, I have a splitting headache so it's all I can muster today

Tomorrow I will be more prepared and do a better job of getting my protein in. Having whey protein powder really helps me in this regard and I know that isn't popular with some here, but I do feel better when I use it and am able to hit my goal of 100 grams of protein every day.

Today was much better with the protein, almost overkill, although I definitely felt a higher degree of satiety than I have in a long time. Intake today - not 100% Paleo but pretty good:

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein
    On's 100% Any Whey Protein - Tasteless Protein Powder, 3 scoop (20.5g) 210 3 0 51
    So Delicious - Coconut Milk - Unsweetened, 1 cup 45 1 5 0
    Spectrum Organic - Virgin Coconut Oil, 14 g 120 0 14 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 375 4 19 51

Lunch
    Panera Bread - Fuji Apple Chicken Salad, 1 full salad 560 36 34 33
    Add Food Quick Tools 560 36 34 33
    Dinner
    Jo's Chicken - Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast , 8 ounces 220 0 2 44
    Lettuce - Green leaf, raw, 2 cup shredded 11 2 0 1
    Trader Joe's - Cilantro Salad Dressing Reduced Fat, 2 Tbsp 45 2 4 1
    Generic - Grape Tomatoes, 3 oz (85g approx 12 tomatoes) 25 6 0 0
    Raspberries - Raw, 0.5 cup 32 7 0 1
    Fage Greek Yogurt - Total 2%, 113.5 g (1 cup) 85 5 2 12
    Add Food Quick Tools 418 22 8 59

Pre-Workout Nutrition
    Optimum Nutrition - 100% Any Whey Protein, 1 Scoop (20.5g) 70 1 0 17
    Equal Exchange - Baking Cocoa - Organic, 1 Tbsp 20 2 1 1

Workout was 15 minutes of slow jogging on the treadmill and then 50 minutes of weights with my trainer.
    He was visibly pleased with my efforts, and even said he could tell my upper body was "leaning out" - yeah!
    So, even though the scale isn't showing anything, people are noticing a change.

Tomorrow I plan to get breakfast protein from sources other than whey powder. I don't seem to have any
    issues from whey but do prefer to eat real food whenever I can!

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Hi! Just like you, I'm also very overwhelmed by all the info (ordered the book, but haven't received it yet) on the board, so I'm reading journals of people that also just started. May I ask why are you choosing the low-fat options? I though they are loaded with all kind of icky things to retain a "full fat" mouthfeel?

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    that overwhelmed feeling does go away...but you never stop learning, just becomes more fun!

i think my cousin talked to me for about 2-3 months before i started doing my own research, then i hammered down and researched for like 2 more months before i had an idea on what i wanted to do, started out just to loose some weight. over that first year gave me a new respect for a lot of things and so did my diet evolved, now the last 6 months i got really lazy with stuff and it showed, gained about 15 pounds (give or take some) and felt bad...i have a better idea and goals now then i ever did at the start, its a learning process, enjoy the ride and live life!

Quote Originally Posted by Shamia View Post
    Hi! Just like you, I'm also very overwhelmed by all the info (ordered the book, but haven't received it yet) on the board, so I'm reading journals of people that also just started. May I ask why are you choosing the low-fat options? I though they are loaded with all kind of icky things to retain a "full fat" mouthfeel?
    Hi Shamia,

Thanks for commenting! The only low-fat options I see are my salad dressing (I'm just using up a bottle) and potentially the Fage 2% yogurt. I would eat the full fat variety, but none of my regular stores carry it.

I am looking forward to trying some recipes for Paleo salad dressings, once my bottled stuff is used up. Now that I'm reading labels like a hawk I am shocked that everything contains soy - ick!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Grok View Post
    that overwhelmed feeling does go away...but you never stop learning, just becomes more fun!

i think my cousin talked to me for about 2-3 months before i started doing my own research, then i hammered down and researched for like 2 more months before i had an idea on what i wanted to do, started out just to loose some weight. over that first year gave me a new respect for a lot of things and so did my diet evolved, now the last 6 months i got really lazy with stuff and it showed, gained about 15 pounds (give or take some) and felt bad...i have a better idea and goals now then i ever did at the start, its a learning process, enjoy the ride and live life!
    Hey Insane Grok - thanks for commenting and I'm glad to hear it gets better! I have been trying all sorts of things, with limited success on the weight loss front. But, I'll just keep tweaking and refining until I find something that works for me. I love this board for all the ideas that are shared, even though it does get confusing at times!