Thread: What Next ? page

Betski is offline Junior Member

What Next ?

Primal Fuel
    I have been lurking on this forum for a while now but this is my first post. I was compelled to write today to share two outrageously disgusting news story that I saw on yahoo here in Australia. I know you guys would share my disgust.

"Dutch scientists have succeeded in growing meat in a laboratory, which they hope to turn into the world's first "test-tube hamburger" later this year. A team from Maastricht University extracted stem cells from cows and grew them in containers to produce strips of muscle tissue, the Guardian reported. Currently around 2cm long, 1cm wide and about 1mm thick, the samples are "off-white and resemble strips of calamari in appearance", according to the BBC. ......growing meat would drastically reduce the quantity of animal feed, land and livestock needed - and even provide a healthier alternative to traditional meat, since it could be grown to contain more polyunsaturated fats.."

I am totally lost for words on that one except for REVOLTING !!!!! And 2 stories down it does not get any better. Apparently, the two largest supermarket chains in Australia have been selling apples that are 11 months old, oranges that are 9 months old and tomatoes that are 6 weeks old and passing it off as 'Fresh". One of the chain proudly proclaims that they are the "fresh food people". In what universe is that fresh ? What a joke ! Sorry, just had to vent.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    On the first one I'm a little wigged out. No way would I touch that stuff- as much for spiritual reasons as physiological ones.

The 2nd story- I was shocked at how long apples and carrots lasted in my refrigerator. The taste was diminished somewhat but they were still completely edible. I'm not so upset about that one.

cave-e8r is offline Member
    That first story is disgusting! I'm not eating that shit. on the second story, I've had apples in my fridge for months now, i still eat 'em

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betski View Post
    Apparently, the two largest supermarket chains in Australia have been selling apples that are 11 months old, oranges that are 9 months old and tomatoes that are 6 weeks old and passing it off as 'Fresh". One of the chain proudly proclaims that they are the "fresh food people". In what universe is that fresh ? What a joke ! Sorry, just had to vent.
    Um, those are fresh by U.S. supermarket standards. Seriously.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Hazy1966 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betski View Post
    Apparently, the two largest supermarket chains in Australia have been selling apples that are 11 months old, oranges that are 9 months old and tomatoes that are 6 weeks old and passing it off as 'Fresh". One of the chain proudly proclaims that they are the "fresh food people". In what universe is that fresh ? What a joke ! Sorry, just had to vent.
    Yeah, I saw that on the Today Tonight show last night. Was a real eye opener. Lucky we have local markets about 10 mins drive from here where we can gt beautiful fresh produce.
    Commenced PB Jan 2nd 2012.
    86.1kg, 23% bodyfat
    Last assessment January 26, 2014 - 79.4kgs & 14.6% bodyfat

My goal is to:
    Maintain PB lifestyle of diet and exercise.
    Maintain weight of around 80kgs and 15% bodyfat.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    People have been using cold cellar "technology" to store and keep apples and root or "keeper" veggies for hundreds of years. Bet your grandparents did it. I can remember my Grampa retrieving carrots for Easter Dinner (in April), harvested the previous September/October) from a bushel basket of dry sand in his cold cellar. They also kept onions, potatos, beets, parsnips, turnips /rutabagas and apples and used them "fresh" all winter.

Here in Ontario, I can buy fresh locally grown apples all year round. They have really advanced the technology of storing and keeping apples. The marketting is called "Orchard Crisp" and the apples, while not as "fresh" as they were back in October, are still very good. The alternative here is to buy apples shipped from Chile or South Africa, so I'd still prefer to buy local.