Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong? page

What am I doing wrong?

Primal Fuel
    As I sit here typing...I already have tears in my eyes...I am so frustrated. I started going Paleo/Primal in July 2011. Right off the bat I lost 8 pounds in about a week. Since then I have only gained weight, I am grateful that since going Paleo/Primal that weight gain is less than it had been the 6 months prior (july to present less than 15 lbs gained, october 2010 to july 2011 55 lbs gained, net gain in 18 months...70 lbs). I admit that prior to that October I had been quite heavy and had used HCG to lose 80 lbs...under a doctors care. HCG worked wonderfully...it just didn't work out as planned.

In the last year I have been diagnosed as Hashimotos (an auto immune) and hypothyroid (due to the hashi) I take thyroid (T3 or cytomel) but it hasn't helped with any weight loss.

I was a chronic cardio girl prior to July spending 9 hours a week in the gym doing cardio in addition to my weight lifting. Since July I have cut back on my cardio and am lifting more heavy things. I lift weights a couple of times a week, do kettlebells in place of cardio (in addition to weight lifting), the occasional zumba class (more for my brain...it is hard to coordinate three body zones and not look stupid) and yoga classes when I feel like it, I walk my dog a 4 or more times a week but that is for her and not for me...she'll sniff and smell...well let's call them roses.

Diet: In September I was told to give up dairy and eggs in addition to the grains I had given up. I jokingly call myself a grain free vegan...add meat (it really annoys my veggie friends...I guess that is just the added plus)

Ok here goes:

Breakfast: 2+ cups broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mix with canadian bacon (120 cals equals 20 g protein)
    Lunch: a big salad and chicken or 2 cups veggies (see above or other veggies), and approx 25 - 30 g protein...occasionally some extra root veggies just for variety
    Dinner: did you guess...yup 2 cups of veggies and 25 g of protein
    Snack: I eat fruit and some protein, celery with almond butter, some dates and nuts...

I put some coconut oil or evoo on my veggies and sprinkle them with dried herbs for more flavor combinations. I drink decaf coffee with stevia and coconut milk in it.

My daily goal in protein is 100g...and I am usually hitting that...95 to 115 is pretty average.

Supplements: All prescribed by health care professionals
    chromium picolinate
    selenium
    gaba
    fish oil (2 T daily)
    Capryol (2 T daily)
    Vit C
    Vit B complex
    Vit D (30,000 daily)

So, What do I fix? the Pants I bought in September just are too tight...which is making be very sad today and quite uncomfortable. I am frustrated that is less than a year and a half I have gone from a size 6 to a 14...and now those are too small and I have to buy even bigger fat pants...these 14s were suppose to be it...they aren't

What keeps me from throwing myself in a hole...the fact that I know I am stronger...I have more endurance for activities I wasn't able to do in the past. I feel better...My dad asked me how I can eat the way I do...I said it made me feel better...he said...well I am glad you aren't trying to lose weight on that diet cause it isn't working....while that sounds harsh...it is far kinder than what I have thought...but what the hell....what am I doing wrong?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a copy of your starting and most recent thyroid labs? My first thought in your case is that your thyroid function is not idea.

My other thoughts would be regarding the nut - how many do you eat per day? And also the canadian bacon - I do best when I keep processed foods to a minimum.

Are you hungry on this amount of food?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

The canadian bacon is minimally processed...4 ingredients all natural and easily identifiable.
    I am well aware I was eating too many nuts...and have cut back to a small handful a day...and not every day maybe a T of nut butter...again not every day and not on the same day.

I am not usually hungry on this food but am hungry when I eat my next meal and usually eat 3 or 4 meals a day. If I am hungry it is usually because I haven't had enough protein.

I know I need to get another lab work up...and am doing that in 2 weeks...

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    You should NOT be eating broccoli or cauliflower every day, or even every week, if you are hypothyroid. Not saying it's the cause, but cruciferous vegetables are goitrogenic. They are not a good thing for you to be eating with your condition, and you seem to be eating buckets of them. Cooking helps neutralize some of the goitrogens, but it's kind of an open question how much. Are you supplementing any iodine or eating lots of shellfish/seaweed/iodized salt?

EDIT: there's a good list of cruciferous vegetables on that Wiki page, all of which you should probably avoid as much as possible. I would stick to root vegetables and non-cruciferous greens like lettuce, herb greens, etc., if I were you.

EDIT2: I can't believe doctors have suggested that many supplements but never had you take iodine. Ay ay ay.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 02-20-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Iodine is contraindicated for those with Hashi.

Ok...I eat a lot of cruciferous veggies. But what else is there? I always cook them. I eat green beans...but those aren't primal, carrots I eat lots of those.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prncsssmartass View Post
    Iodine is contraindicated for those with Hashi.

Ok...I eat a lot of cruciferous veggies. But what else is there? I always cook them. I eat green beans...but those aren't primal, carrots I eat lots of those.
    Huh. Didn't know that about Hashimoto's. Good to know.

The vegetables were what jumped out at me. And when I say a lot, I mean you are eating a shit ton of them. I mean 6 cups a day? That's a lot. I'm not really up on a list of common vegetables that are non-cruciferous, but anything like squashes, tubers, peppers, onions, etc. would be good bets. There are a lot of different edible plants in the world.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    ditch the dates and other high sugar fruits and see if that helps.

MrsC is offline Member
    Sometimes the most obvious solution is the simplest. You are probably eating too many calories. How tall are you?

Coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, dates, nut butter ... these are all pretty high in calories. It's not that they're necessarily "bad" for you, you just may be eating more calories than you think. Compared to whole milk, coconut milk is also pretty high in calories, about four times as much.

Have you considered joining a calorie-counting site like SparkPeople or MyFitnessPal? Or maybe Weight Watchers? It's perfectly possible to eat primal and count calories or do WW.

Did you give up dairy and eggs on the advice of a nutritionist, or on the advice of this forum?
    Last edited by MrsC; 02-20-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have you checked out the leptin reset threads on MDA?

Grizz has put together a good synthesis here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post595567
    https://docs.google.com/document/pub...Z_6bme_8E-XYOo

Also, check out Dr. Kruse's site, who posts on the huge leptin reset thread as Digital Surgeon.
    Blog Index - Jack Kruse
    MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION - Jack Kruse
    THE LEPTIN RX...FAQ's - Jack Kruse

You may want to check out this book:
    Amazon.com: The Leptin Diet: How Fit Is Your Fat? (Take Charge) (9781933927282): Byron J. Richards: Books

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast