Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does strict primal lead to a shorter, lighter period? page 2

Polcamilla is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I've just started my first Primal cycle, so I really can't speak to that point yet, but wanted to pass on some anecdotal data.

A few years ago, I skipped 3 cycles for no reason (no weight loss/gain, unusual activity) and pregnancy tests came up repeatedly negative. I went into my OB who said that it isn't uncommon (particularly as we age, though I was 28 at the time) to skip your period due to stress. He couldn't find anything unusual and told me not to worry about it. I was annoyed because we were also trying to conceive and I wasn't thrilled at the idea of waiting around for my body to decide to ovulate. The next month, a week before my period was due, I took a pregnancy test on a whim and it came up positive. I had a happy, healthy girl at the end of a full year of no periods. So even a skipped period (or three) isn't a clear sign that something is "wrong".

Good luck to you and your husband!

masage is offline Junior Member
    I'm SO glad I found this discussion! I'm bleeding like crazy myself (just 'flooded' my bed ) for 7-8 days per month and I find it quite annoying - I can't exercise for a few days (except for a light strall) and sometimes I feel like 90 year old gandma due to back pains. I don't take any pills, don't want to, so I'm very happy I found out I can regulate my period with changing not just my eating habits but whole life style. I'm a newbie here, so I still have a lot to learn, but I feel like I finally found a life style that suits me (after trying different diets and corresponding phylosophies).
    I have a question, though. How do you cope with pre-period cravings. Like woman that started this topic, I see pictures of chocolate and baked goods in my mind approx. 3 days before periode and, of course, indulge in stuff. I feel like crap aterwards, but it seems unstoppable. On the day my period starts, cravings stop and I have no desire to indulge anymore. Does any of you have some sort of 'solution' or advice on how to cope with this?
    You are not what you think you are, you are what you think.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Mine actually got lighter and far more regular a few years ago, when I went failsafe. So not that I wasn't eating sugar or wheat (cos I most certainly was) but that I was no longer eating any artificials - flavours, colours, preservatives etc etc.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    After going primal, my periods definitely lightened a bit. I'd have to change tampons every 2-3 hours and use heavy absorbency tampons for the first two days. After primal, I could use regular tampons throughout my period. (Then I discovered menstrual cups which honestly changed my life. So much cheaper than buying tampons every month, and I think a silicon cup is a lot more primal-friendly than pesticide-laden cotton tampons!)

My periods also went from 6-7 days down to 5 days. I've been primal for a year now and the effect has persisted. I'm pretty happy about it! Although, I'm now considering getting a copper IUD which is supposed to make periods heavier and longer

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by masage View Post
    I have a question, though. How do you cope with pre-period cravings. Like woman that started this topic, I see pictures of chocolate and baked goods in my mind approx. 3 days before periode and, of course, indulge in stuff. I feel like crap aterwards, but it seems unstoppable. On the day my period starts, cravings stop and I have no desire to indulge anymore. Does any of you have some sort of 'solution' or advice on how to cope with this?
    I still do this as well, the chocolate and ice cream are still getting eaten 2 days a month. I wish I could control it!! Sorry I can't help, lol! Wish I knew the answer. Even though I feel like crap afterwards, I don't feel too bad about it because it is only 2 days out of the month. If it was happening every day I would be a bit more concerned.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by masage View Post
    I have a question, though. How do you cope with pre-period cravings. Like woman that started this topic, I see pictures of chocolate and baked goods in my mind approx. 3 days before periode and, of course, indulge in stuff.
    How about a little healthy cacao powder in coffee? I find it pretty satisfying ... although I admit I add a teaspoon of Spenda to sweeten it. But I figure cheating with a little Splenda is better than going all out on the candy and baked goods.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    well, this seems like an odd thread to make my first post, but here goes...

I gave up wheat, corn and soy right after Halloween, and have 'primalized' the rest of my diet almost completely since then. I realized about 10 days later that I chose to do it right before PMS week. Why did it take me so long to clue in? Because I had almost zero PMS bloating, back pain or cravings. Period just kind of snuck up on me. I can't really say that flow has lightened, because my periods have gotten more regular and shorter (2 really heavy days, 5 days max, instead of dragging on for 7-8 days) since having a couple of kids. But they are just more manageable overall.

As for cravings? They are definitely less intense. And I listen to my body and give in to them once in a while. I think those period cravings happen for a reason. I don't try to trick my cravings by giving them pale substitutes. I find that giving my body the very best quality version of what its asking for (ice cream!) means it takes less to satisfy me, and once it has passed, that particular food holds no power over me.

S.

masage is offline Junior Member
    Oh! I nearly forgot I posted something here! Thanks for advice, will try something (recipe sounds delicious!). For now I am making myself cocoa - full fat milk and cocoa powder, no sugar of course - and in my opinion it tastes GOOD! Sometimes I buy myself dark chocolate - currently struggling with 85%, it's really strong and can't eat it a lot at once, which is a good thing. For now, I have absolutely no cravings for grains and sugar, but my true nature will reveal when my period starts (again).
    Thanks again, fellow Grokesses, will keep in touch, definately!
    You are not what you think you are, you are what you think.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Wish I was having this "problem" of lighter, easier periods. Mine starts 2-3 days before I'm even off my active pills in my BC pack, is heavier than ever, and my PMS is back. It's like my own hormones have overridden the ones I'm taking.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    mine snuck up on me...no warning symptoms and it left much much sooner than it has in the past!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast