Thread: Interesting dish from a Mexican restaurant page

beckinwolf is offline Member

Shop Now

I ordered Mexican food for dinner tonight. My grandpa wanted enchiladas, so I got him some chicken and beef ones. I didn't want the enchiladas because of the tortilla so I got "CAMARONES BALISCO". It was large shrimp wrapped in bacon smothered in cheese on a bed of grilled onions. Wow, it was so good. No tortillas at all. I can't wait to try making this at home. Obviously you could omit the cheese if you don't do dairy, but I'm a cheese lover so it was all the better for me. Quite the primal dinner. Not bad for ordering Mexican food, where everything is usually topped with beans and rice and/or wrapped in tortillas.

Carpe Diem!

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member

Hola,

I'm a Texan currently living in Mexico and I can't tell you how generally healthy the food is here!

All those tortillas, cheese, beans- that's so Americanized.

Of course we have tortillas here, but they are TINY compared to the ones in the US, only a tad of cheese (if used) is present, etc. The meat is leaner, lots of fruits and veggies.

I'm Italian and always laugh at the US version of pizza, pasta, etc. Mexican food is no different :-) Glad ou found something you like!

Besos

Kent Hawley is offline Junior Member

Our local Mexican restaurant has what it calls Fajitas Cancun--regular fajita vegetables, beef, chicken, shrimp, and bacon. I eat it with guacamole and nothing else. Yummy. Lots of good Mexican dishes that can be Primal.

elorajade is offline Senior Member

Life with Jades- You made me LOL, my husband and I went to Italy 10 years ago and are forever against "Americanized" pizza.

When you have the "real" thing, its hard to go back to the thick, greasy, chewy stuff they pass for pizza here.

SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Kent Hawley is offline Junior Member

What, essentially, is the difference between real Italian pizza and American pizza?

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member

Hola Kent,

True Italian food is not so much refined carbs. First off, the flour (semolina) used is less industralized and has a lower gluten content.

Secondly, pasta is not the main course. It is part of the entire meal- usually about 1/2 cups worth after a salad or soup. Then comes the protein dish, and vegetable.

Italian pizza's crust is VERY VERY thin. Not huge slabs of overly processed meats, but leaner, fresher, and sometimes only cured meats. Cheese is obviously used, but it can just as easily be omitted and is fresh cheese- not this American processed stuff. Goat and sheep cheese are used, and often the cheese is simply crumbled on, not slathered on to make an entire level. Vegetables are abundant as well.

Delicio! Well, that's spanish- but you get the idea ;-)

Elorajade, it is funny isn't it? Yes, once you have the real deal you can never go back!

Lolly is offline Member

my boyfriend makes the most amazing Neopolitan style margherita pizza using freshest ingredients including buffalo mozzarella & basil on a stone in a super hot oven so the crust chars a bit underneath and blisters a bit on top. if i have a primal cheat day that is always on my list. no heavy doughy crust, no oily cheese, no sugary sauce---just pure quality fresh ingredients, it's so much lighter yet so much more satisfying.

mexican for me is still pretty much fajitas ignoring the tortillas.

elorajade is offline Senior Member

When we would go for supper while there, it was an event. We were lucky to be staying in an area where there were no hotels, we were at a B&B, so we would walk down to the local restaurant. It would shut down half the street at night, and there would be music, and everyone was speaking italian. We didn't, so we felt out of the loop, but it was an awesome experience. Their meals lasted HOURS, don't be in a hurry because that won't happen. Everything is fresh.

We had pizza, wine and pasta followed by fresh fruit. Yum. Their pasta, at least at this place was filled with meat and veggies, and the pasta was more like an aferthought, or an accompaniment.

To describe the pizza, it was thin and quite crispy (some places were a little softer, especially the "trattatorias" so people could "fold and go"), there were fresh ingredients on the top in little piles, so you could spread them around if you wanted. Anchovies, eggs, vegetables, meats, large leaves of herbs and small chunks of mozzerella with a drizzle of olive oil. The sauce? It was like someone had taken sunshine, added some herbs and tomatoes to it and squashed it over the pizza.

It was fresh, it tasted fresh. There is NOTHING like a true italian pizza.

Same goes with French bread, the BEST bread on the planet comes FROM France, or in France. We loved getting baguettes with ham, brie and butter as a quick lunch.

We're going back to France in two weeks and I'm shaking at the knees that I won't be able to resist that french bread. I can live with the pain du chocolat, but the bread? *sigh*

SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals