Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get me remotivated page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Get me remotivated

Shop Now
    So I can't bring myself to work out. I've never had this much trouble getting motivated to go exercise. I believe in weight training and cardio.... but for whatever reason, I keep making excuses and can't get motivated to even take 15 minutes to run through the 5 essential moves or do a weekly 20 minute HIIT workout. I have my long and slow down, but only because my dog would destroy my house without his daily hour walk.

I never used to have trouble getting motivated, even as a fat girl:
    Spent 3 years going to a gym, 1 hour a day, 5 days a week, like clockwork. No excuses. I weighed 50lbs more than I do now.
    I trained for a marathon- running 5-6 days a week, in ANY weather, and the one time it was icy, I did 20 miles on a treadmill. Up on Sundays at 4:30 to beat the heat for a long run. Shit- I even did my long runs during cankerworm week (worms falling from trees on spiderwebs).
    I did P90X- two times, all the way through, while also running 3-4 miles for 3-4 days a week. I even did the friggin 90 minute Yoga.
    I did 2 rounds of Insanity, followed up by runs 2-3 days a week.

Through all of this- I was riding my horse 5 days a week. It was nothing to do a 20 mile run then go ride for 45 minutes.

Now... it's excuse after excuse- yesterday I rode my horse for 20 minutes and used that as an excuse not to take 15 minutes to do the Essential moves. Saturday- it was beautiful out, but again, I was just not motivated to go do a sprint workout in the woods. Primal Fitness is SO EASY commitment wise compared to my past. Hell, I only need running shoes for HIIT day. It takes 15 minutes to do Essential moves- I used to spend an hour with Tony Horton.

I'm not tired, plenty of energy. The workouts aren't painful- they don't leave me laid up. I just plain don't want to do them.... HELP ME GET GOING! This is pathetic- I gave up baked goods, but can't get motivated to workout at about a quarter of the intensity I used to do. :-(

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    What do you enjoy when you do exercise? Is it pride in sticking to your plan for example? That would get boring after a while. Are you getting the endorphins or fun you need? Maybe it's time to mix things up and try a new form of exercise. I'll risk sounding like a broken record but for a huge variety of bodyweight exercises Mark Lauren's book is good, and do them intensely enough and they'll give you a motivational kick for next time.
    Also, see good old Arthur in the signature below
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    How much carbohydrate are you eating?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

I eat 50-80 grams of carbs a day (I eat about 1400 calories a day)- it isn't an energy issue, and when I do work out, I feel fine before, during, after. It's more of a mental thing- I don't feel like doing it and look for excuses- my excuse is rarely that I am too tired.

It's like I burned myself out. I used to track my workouts and improvements motivated me- I'm improving on my Essential moves, but I'm like whatever.... And its been like this for a year- so even when I was eating carbs- the same diet that got me through a marathon, I was like *meh*. I've tried new forms of exercise- in the past year- I bought fit decks (like playing cards with bodyweight exercises- actually really cool, but again... you have to get motivated to use them), a ballet style workout DVD, tried to get running again, the Primal fitness series, Women's Health 15 minute workouts, The Bodyrockers workouts. Next thing you know, I'll be getting a Gazelle.....

I'm tempted to go try CrossFit, but none of the places around me offer classes that work in my schedule. I ran an 8K at Thanksgiving, but even signing up for that, I had minimal motivation to train. And I *hate* working out with a buddy. Part of me wants to go try a fitness trainer 2x a week, focusing on weight training, but that is out of my budget.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Magnolia, I am right there with you - I have the hardest time motivating myself to exercise...so much so that I haven't done it regularly in months.
    Over the years, I have done videos, bootcamp classes, crossfit, personal trainer, anytime fitness....you name it, i've probably done it ! and I really enjoy working out.... I just haven't for a while - and it doesn't make sense.

The only thing that I can think of is that I used so much energy focusing on getting better on the inside (GI issues) with primal food in the last 5 months, that I didn't focus any real energy on exercise. I haven't decided if it was a good idea or not - but it is what it is and now it's time for me to start.

I'm looking for the answer too - but I'm pretty sure I'll find it on the inside, similar to the reason why I eat primal.....because it's just better for my health than the alternative. I'll get there - and so will you. I think the reason why you make a change determines the strength at which you keep the change.

it's human nature to oppose it though, good luck

forward
    pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

I hate to say it... I almost feel like exercise doesn't matter- like hell, I busted my ass for 10 years being workout queen, and changing my diet made a bigger impact. Seriously- my 8k turkey trot- after a month of giving up wheat and restarting meat eating, and I had a PR despite probably only logging 10 training runs. I'm like- I slogged so many miles, did sprint work.... and it never really mattered.

I feel like I am active- walking my dog every day in the woods is more exercise than most people get. Horseback riding is good stuff too (NEVER used to count going riding as exercise). But I know if I just do those two things, I won't be my best. And I KNOW all the awesome things weight training does! When my core is strong, I ride very well.

Maybe I am healing and my body is saying take it easy...but I don't know how much time to give it.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like it's the boredom factor with weight and strength training that's putting you off. However, these exercises can be done in front of the TV whenever you feel like it. All you need is a mat, some free weights and kettle bells. You can build them up gradually as it suits you and avoid the regimentation of weekly classes. You could add in hula hooping (great fun) for toning your abs.

The motivator for me is that weight and strength training is great for toning arms and legs (where most of my excess fat is). I also enjoy being stronger. The endorphin hit has improved as I have progressed too. I could barely detect it at first, compared to cardio.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    What is it that you really love to do?

Would you like to get the most out of it?

Make preparation for it the best part of your day. Use the exercise you do to make you better at it. Think of how the strength training or sprints or slow moving will help you do what you love with every set of reps or intervals. Target a regular time of day as your time to help you feel better and make you better at doing what it is you love to do more enjoyable. It doesn't matter if your most enjoyed activity is a solo sport, group sport, hobby like gardening, sewing or even crossword puzzles. You'll get so much more from it with better mental focus, greater strength and when fatigue doesn't hinder you. These are the real benefits of exercise. Improved quality of life. Don't do it because you feel you must or have guilted yourself into it. Do it because it becomes part of doing what you love most to do. You wouldn't dare miss it because choosing not to do it means missing a part of what you most love to do.

PrimalBaker is offline Member
    I lost motivation too. I thought I had some but I was wrong. I thought having one year (now 11 months) to train for a marathon for my birthday would help. Nope. Upcoming cruise? Uh-uh. The desire to be my healthiest by my 40th birthday also seemed to not be working. I haven't done yoga in a while, even the Primal Essential Movements (PEM), which take so little time, feel too long.

Then I got what I've been wanting for a long time, a decade at least. I won the ebay auction for a Concept2 rowing machine! It isn't the exact model I had used before and wanted but I think I like this one more. And now I want to use it all the time! And I feel motivated again! I am sore all over and I love it. I get into my zone and just go. Since I picked it up last week I have rowed 4 times, both slow and steady and doing intervals. I have resumed my PEM with a renewed goal of doing a real pull-up by the time I leave for the cruise. Even my focus on eating more strictly Primal has come back.

I think it's about finding something you really want to do. Not that the things you have done in the past aren't what you want or like to do. Maybe you just need something new? There has to be a CrossFit box around somewhere that fits your schedule. Or how about a bootcamp workout? Some CrossFit trainers have time between regular class schedules and might be able to work with you around your schedule once or twice a week. It might cost more (maybe find a friend?) but the motivation might be worth it. Even if just for a short while.
    I NEED Sunshine! And a beach would be nice too!
    Started Primal living February 14, 2011

wypaleo is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Magnolia,

Every morning my mind tells me "you don't want to go to the gym-you look like a weakling compared to those other people." Sometimes it tells me I don't feel like doing it. Then I really try to get into touch of the why I am eating paleo and exercising. Ask yourself what exercising or eating healthy is in service of. I noticed you have a pet. What kind of pet owner do you want to be? If it is one that promotes your animal's health, jogging with your dog would be a great way to do that. Does exercising give you an increased feeling of vitality? If so, how does that affect your relationship with your kids (if you have those) or your partner? Does having that energy help you to remain active and engaged in others' lives? Maybe you just want the feeling of being healthy, so would doing the exercises be in service of that?

Also, what does Mark Sisson state in his research about moving slowly and playing? There definitely is a balance to life and exercise!

I always try to look at those bigger values as my guiding light so to say-otherwise my mind would talk me out of it! I hope that is helpful.

Kathryn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast