Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More energy when I eat low carb page

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member

More energy when I eat low carb

Primal Fuel
    Is this typical? I've been eating more carbs lately - mainly rice and sweet potatoes, but carbs none-the-less. It culminated in pasta and ice cream Friday night, and I decided to make sure I came back in line as I went up 1.5 pounds. So for the past few days, I've been strictly low carb - meat, veggies and some dairy. I'm bouncing off the walls this morning (and it's only 5:30AM!). Kind of bummed because my knee is bothering me, so I need to rest it a bit, but I'll take the dogs for a longish walk this morning.

I always thought carbs = energy. But I feel better and more in line when I eat lower to low carb. I need less sleep, I have more energy and I feel absolutely amazing.

The added benefit is that I get to drive everyone at the office up the wall.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I know what you mean~ carbs ~even the good ones~ really slow me down too. I always feel like I need a nap after I eat them~ it's probably no surprise when you think of how many people eat a SAD dinner and then fall asleep on the couch afterward. I've also noticed that higher carbs make me slower/foggy mentally too~

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Carbs (good ones) make me feel great if I am exercising hard, and they make me feel crappy if I'm not.

It's all about context. Run all-out sprints once a week plus two or three heavy weight sessions (not PBF body-weight stuff, the kind of weight/difficulty where you fail if you attempt a sixth rep) and see if that sweet potato still makes you feel slow. I bet it won't.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    It certainly can be typical, depending on the person...I am the same way, less carbs I feel better. In my case, I just seem to have an over reaction blood sugar wise to carbs. I would guess many of us are the same way even if our fasting blood sugar is perfect. Many people show diabetic like effects after eating carbs, even though they are not diabetic in medical terms. Keep the carbs moderate from natural sources!

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Carbs (good ones) make me feel great if I am exercising hard, and they make me feel crappy if I'm not.

It's all about context. Run all-out sprints once a week plus two or three heavy weight sessions (not PBF body-weight stuff, the kind of weight/difficulty where you fail if you attempt a sixth rep) and see if that sweet potato still makes you feel slow. I bet it won't.
    +1 going real low carb and exercising I'll crash hard core and can't even keep my eyes open. Then I'll have some carbs and feel alive again.

If I eat a lot of food, no matter low carb/high carb I get tired for a period of time. Then I'll either have tons of energy or be normal.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    +1 going real low carb and exercising I'll crash hard core and can't even keep my eyes open. Then I'll have some carbs and feel alive again.

If I eat a lot of food, no matter low carb/high carb I get tired for a period of time. Then I'll either have tons of energy or be normal.
    Yep. You're supposed to get sleepy/slow if you eat a really big meal. That's your body telling you to slow your shit down, take a nap and let your intestines do their thing for a while. Why go hunting when you just ate, right?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Yep. You're supposed to get sleepy/slow if you eat a really big meal. That's your body telling you to slow your shit down, take a nap and let your intestines do their thing for a while. Why go hunting when you just ate, right?
    Makes sense to me. Also I have tons more energy if I'm fasting (which also makes sense... so you can go get food) Unless I am really depleted. I have to do more experiments to be able to confirm my theory but if your glyogen stores are empty, or I've just done low calorie the day before... then I might feel like a lump on a log and demotivated until I eat. This has happened to me a few times... now to do more experiments to figure out the true cause for me anyways..
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

That's the thing. I do go hard. 30 minutes of kettlebells 3 times a week - fairly heavy - swinging an 18kg bell - cleans and presses with a 12kg. I am training to be Zumba certified, so for cardio I do a lot of dancing 30- 90 minutes depending on the day. And I have 2 Aussies who get walked every day at least 2 miles, and I do interval runs with them twice a week for 2 miles. We run hard as I need to tire them out (try tiring an Aussie, it's not easy). And on Saturday, I hike with the dogs - 5-7 miles. Yes, overtraining right now, but that will calm a bit once I get certified. Zumba is fun for me, so I don't really consider it a workout - more like play. And it's less than I used to do. I have more stamina with less carbs. I don't get it. I guess I should not complain.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andtckrtoo View Post
    That's the thing. I do go hard. 30 minutes of kettlebells 3 times a week - fairly heavy - swinging an 18kg bell - cleans and presses with a 12kg. I am training to be Zumba certified, so for cardio I do a lot of dancing 30- 90 minutes depending on the day. And I have 2 Aussies who get walked every day at least 2 miles, and I do interval runs with them twice a week for 2 miles. We run hard as I need to tire them out (try tiring an Aussie, it's not easy). And on Saturday, I hike with the dogs - 5-7 miles. Yes, overtraining right now, but that will calm a bit once I get certified. Zumba is fun for me, so I don't really consider it a workout - more like play. And it's less than I used to do. I have more stamina with less carbs. I don't get it. I guess I should not complain.
    Everyone is different. It can also be a function of how long you have been primal. I thrived on VLC/ZC when my body was healing, but once it got done, it loved carbs again.

What Uncephalized is talking about is progressive barbell training, which is adding weight every single workout, which is challenging in a completely different way, and one of the most common ways to get truly over-trained(true over-training will put you in bed or in the hospitable if you try to train through it indefinitely).

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Everyone is different. It can also be a function of how long you have been primal. I thrived on VLC/ZC when my body was healing, but once it got done, it loved carbs again.
    Makes sense. Change is good indeed. I guess it's all a matter of really listening to my body and figuring out what works best. For my cert, I plan to take a few bars of pemmican for the carbs. Dancing 90 minutes is different than dancing all day.

I love this place - so many smart folks.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast