Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Englishman In Oz Goal: skinny to muscle in a Primal way page

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - Englishman In Oz Goal: skinny to muscle in a Primal way

Shop Now
    Okay, so I sent in my pictures for the new year challenge, but they've yet to hit the Success stories in the making. Need some motivation and accountability, so here I am!

Biog in short:
    Quit my highly stressful, all-consuming management job in the UK in Oct 2011, embarking on a new career in teaching. Flew out to Australia late Oct to be with siblings and their families. Best thing I ever did. Hoping to go to Japan for a year in June to teach English and soak up the culture.
    Been interested in Primal for around six months, started eating this way on Jan 1st 2012. Also started working out on a regular basis on December 15th 2011. I've always been pretty skinny, playing lots of football (inexplicably called "soccer" in many parts of the globe) to keep fit. I noticed as I turned 30 that, although I wasn't gaining weight, things weren't feeling quite as firm as they once were, and little pockets of body fat were starting to appear. Time to act. So I'm going Primal to improve my thankfully already decent health, and working out by LHT, sprinting and low-level cardio to see if I really am a hardgainer, or if I can achieve the muscular physique I've always wanted. I'll happily admit vanity is a motivator in terms of my fitness goals. I'm hoping to gain a lot of strength, but I'll be disappointed if it doesn't translate into a fine frame of solid muscle. Not looking for Olympic weightlifter size though, I want to still be able to put both hands in my pockets at the same time!

The stats:

Weight at Dec 15th 2011: 144lb
    Chest: 37in
    Bicep L/R: 13in/13in
    Tricep L/R: 13in/13in
    Thigh L/R: 22.8in/22.5in

The workout as of 15/12/2011:

Squat: 44lb 3x6
    Sumo Deadlifts: 44lb 3x6
    Bench:44lb 3x6
    Pull Ups: body weight +44lb assist 3x6
    Chin Ups: body weight +24lb assist 3x6
    Shoulder Press: body weight +44lb assist 3x6

The pictures: Taken at 15/12/2011:
    I'm nearly 2 months into the Primal journey as I type, so expect update pictures at the end of Feb 2012.

DSCN0193.jpegDSCN0194.jpegDSCN0195.jpegDSCN0196.jpeg

Update as of 21/02/2011...pictures coming soon

The stats:

Weight: 149lb
    Chest: 38in
    Bicep L/R: 13.5in/13.5in
    Tricep L/R: 13.5in/13.5in
    Thigh L/R: 23in/22.8in

The workout as of 21/02/2011:

Squat: 60lb 3x8
    Sumo Deadlifts: 100lb 3x6
    Bench: 88lb 3x6
    Pull Ups: body weight +24lb assist 3x6
    Chin Ups: body weight +18lb assist 3x8
    Shoulder Press: body weight +32lb assist 3x8

This is my current breakfast of choice.....recommended.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread48828.html

So, have been doing the Cold Shower Challenge for 3 days now, loving it! Bit tough on day 1, but it gets easier and feels really refreshing. Read about it here...http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35777.html

Picture published on MDA's Success Stories in the Making, now it's getting real.....

Successes yesterday.....
    Manage to nail down 3000Kcals after only hitting around 2300-2500 most days, and seeing my weight gain stall (+1lb in 4 weeks). Hoping to keep to around 3000 a day now to keep growing. Managed 190g fat, 185g of protein and 145g carbs. 97g of sat fats too, still feel slightly scared by that number but learning to live with it.

I promised new pictures at the end of Feb, they're still coming, but in the meantime this was me yesterday...

photo (1).JPG

Definitely seeing gains in the chest/shoulders/arms and abs areas. Possibly gaining a bit of body fat too but that's okay. Reasonably happy with 2 month progress. I'll keep on keepin' on.

New PB on the Chin ups today! managed 2 full bodyweight after 2 sets of 6 with 10lb assist. Not amazing in itself, but good progress for me. Didn't manage enough calories yesterday though, only 2200. Must try harder...

Todays workout...

Deadlift 100lb 8,8,8 (new PB)
    Pull ups (+32lb assist) 8,8,8 (new PB)
    Bench 88lb 8,5,6

2 new PB's so I'm happy. Struggled on the bench a bit. Need to eat more!

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    i will be following your journal, sometimes i wished i started out skinny so i could need the muscle definition earlier, but i'll get there all the same.

looks like you are making some great progress! its awesome seeing the weights go up as the weeks go on, one of the best feelings when i can add more

ohh and about going to japan, my friend says you get stuck there and its a good thing. one of my good friends left right out of college and has been in japan teaching english for about 8 years now and he keeps renewing his yearly contract, he loves it there!

Thanks IG. Had a look over your blog, it's pretty cool. You're right about the strength gains, it's so satisfying when you can add more weight. I hope I enjoy Japan as much as your friend. Not sure I'm gonna stay for 8 years but you never know, it seems like an awesome place. It'll be interesting living the Primal life over there!

Good workout today. New PBs in the squat, chin up and shoulder press.

I'm going to be giving up coffee for a month from tomorrow. I'm looking to kick the habit and enjoy the benefits of keeping energy levels and cortisol levels even. Check out the other PBers giving it a shot (or not) on this thread...

Feel free to join in, I'll be adding updates with the results of this throughout March.

I will have been Primal for 2 months from tomorrow. Update pictures will be added 1st March.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast