Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: House of Thin page

kcarol is offline Senior Member

House of Thin

Primal Fuel
    I wrote these equations out if anyone would like to use them.

(x-lean body mass)/x=decimal percent desired BF%
    x=goal weight

This will give you your goal weight assuming you don't put on muscle. If you anticipate adding 5-10 lbs of muscle over a certain period of time, adjust your lean body mass accordingly. If you believe you're going to lose muscle, for example 20% lean tissue per pound muscle lost, you have to subtract that from your lean body mass.

Example:
    172 = current body weight
    129.21 = rough estimate lean body mass
    18% = desired body fat percentage

[x-(129.21-(172-x)*0.2)]/x = 0.18
    x=153 lbs

<Goal Weight Assuming Lean Body Mass Held Constant>

@ 20% BF
    (x-129)/x = 0.20
    x=161.25 lbs
    172*0.25-161.25*0.20=10.75 lbs fat lost

@ 18% BF
    (x-129)/x = 0.18
    x=157.3 lbs
    172*0.25-157.3*0.18=14.69 lbs fat lost

Here's a link to an online equation solver. Hope someone finds these handy!
    Last edited by kcarol; 03-28-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    Coconut Flour Pumpkin Bread Recipe | REAL GRUBBIN

not trying to play devils advocate, but you can always look up recipes that don't contain grains or bad sugars (i know honey is sugar, but its not like its much in the recipe)

might give you some ideas...if you are good in the kitchen.

i know pancakes were a big thing at my house, but now they love my banana pancakes more than flour based ones (its a banana, almond butter, and one egg...mix in a bowl and it becomes like a batter, then just fry in pan with butter...i also add cinnamon and nutmeg to my mix) my wife makes a butter sauce to pour over it (stick of butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, splenda brown sugar, and vanilla extract)

now we only really eat this maybe once every two weeks, but its a great treat and made from real foods (barring splenda brown sugar)

Insane Grok -

Assuming that's your daughter in your avatar, what an ADORABLE little girl. And no devil's advocate here--that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Good substitutes. Thanks
    Last edited by kcarol; 03-10-2012 at 02:03 PM.

If you like fish, add a can of tuna or salmon, some indian masala and steamed kale or spinach. Makes delicious fish cakes! I top with tzatziki or feta.

Quote Originally Posted by thepigisatastyanimal View Post
    If you like fish, add a can of tuna or salmon, some indian masala and steamed kale or spinach. Makes delicious fish cakes! I top with tzatziki or feta.
    Oh my word, fish cakes? Sounds like something I need to make before I say my final word.
    Last edited by kcarol; 05-07-2012 at 01:20 PM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I've just read through your entries and have to say, wow, how brave you are to admit your addictions to sweet drinks and pastries. They are so fattening though and so will have to be reduced to absolute moderation- once a week or less. The good news though is there is a lot to look forward to being primal and there are all kinds of tools you can utilize that will help you maximize your weight loss while preserving your muscle mass. I'm not the best example I admit having been semi primal for some time now but being unaware of calories cost me a few years ago as I took a job that involved more movement and combined with eating less..... well, total disaster. So good to hear you don't plan to cut your calories because in the long run this will work against you.
    My advice is to clear out your cabinets of non primal foods and do away with the sugary Starbucks breakfasts. If you can't eat a healthy breakfast you may consider skipping it as part of an intermittent fasting strategy. Primal foods are satiating and eating later in the day won't cause you to gain weight- what matter most is you eat healthy and watch your calories. It's harder to gain on good quality calories though sure you can.
    I've really enjoyed a short little book called Fast 5. It's a great IF primer:
    PDF Ebook The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle | Free PDF Ebooks Files @AcrobatPlanet.Com

After you set your mind to eating primal at home-- I honestly believe this is key, you can't allow yourself to eat crap in your own house, you must force yourself to go in public & pay for it. I've had a lot of success with carb cycling. I allow myself to eat more carbs some days and little or none others. You can come up with any system you think you can live with. So long as you eat adequate calories weekly you will be fine.

Raphaella is offline Senior Member
    I feel you on the push-ups! A full, 'man' push-up is my holy grail. Last year after doing negatives constantly I got to where I could finally do 2-3 man push-ups in a row. Now I'm back to my knees after slacking. Actually I'm back to wall push ups because I can only do knee ones with a very wide 'arm stance' or whatever. I want to start taking Krav Maga courses but until I can master at least a few man push-ups I think I'm too embarrassed!

---------

I'm like you with the sugar addiction. Pastries = heaven. I'll tell you what though, once I started eating animal fat regularly my sugar cravings VANISHED. IMMEDIATELY. ...Don't get me wrong; pastries and candy and ice cream and stuff are still appetizing to me, but they don't control my thoughts and actions anymore. I don't think about them, they never pop into my head. I'M FREE. I really recommend licking lard or tallow or some sort of animal fat off a spoon a few times a day, it has changed my life. Sugar used to literally control my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphaella View Post
    I feel you on the push-ups! A full, 'man' push-up is my holy grail. Last year after doing negatives constantly I got to where I could finally do 2-3 man push-ups in a row. Now I'm back to my knees after slacking. Actually I'm back to wall push ups because I can only do knee ones with a very wide 'arm stance' or whatever. I want to start taking Krav Maga courses but until I can master at least a few man push-ups I think I'm too embarrassed!

---------

I'm like you with the sugar addiction. Pastries = heaven. I'll tell you what though, once I started eating animal fat regularly my sugar cravings VANISHED. IMMEDIATELY. ...Don't get me wrong; pastries and candy and ice cream and stuff are still appetizing to me, but they don't control my thoughts and actions anymore. I don't think about them, they never pop into my head. I'M FREE. I really recommend licking lard or tallow or some sort of animal fat off a spoon a few times a day, it has changed my life. Sugar used to literally control my life.
    Hey Raphaella! You've actually given me hope on the sugar front.
    Last edited by kcarol; 11-14-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Raphaella is offline Senior Member
    ^^^LOL I daydream about being able to do super challenging push-up variations too!!

I grew up sugar addicted as well; my earliest memory actually is of being a toddler and using a chair to climb on top of the kitchen table to eat plain sugar right out of its canister. I remember getting in trouble one Christmas Eve because I stole the sugar sprinkles from the kitchen, hid the container in my pillow and ate them all. When I was flunking all my classes in middle school the only punishment my parents gave me that worked was forbidding me to eat chocolate till my grades improved. From ages 17-22 probably 85% of what I ate was candies, pastries, ice cream.... The other 15% was still highly processed crap.

For yeeeeears if I didn't have something sweet first thing in the day and something sweet last thing at night I felt all wrong and icky. I also had to have something sweet between every meal. Seems so crazy to me now! It *was* crazy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphaella View Post
    ^^^LOL I daydream about being able to do super challenging push-up variations too!!

I grew up sugar addicted as well; my earliest memory actually is of being a toddler and using a chair to climb on top of the kitchen table to eat plain sugar right out of its canister. I remember getting in trouble one Christmas Eve because I stole the sugar sprinkles from the kitchen, hid the container in my pillow and ate them all. When I was flunking all my classes in middle school the only punishment my parents gave me that worked was forbidding me to eat chocolate till my grades improved. From ages 17-22 probably 85% of what I ate was candies, pastries, ice cream.... The other 15% was still highly processed crap.

For yeeeeears if I didn't have something sweet first thing in the day and something sweet last thing at night I felt all wrong and icky. I also had to have something sweet between every meal. Seems so crazy to me now! It *was* crazy though.
    Oh man, I used to eat the sugar cubes! I liked how they melted in my mouth. And I also like starting my day sweet and having sweet things after every meal. I STILL have those impulses. !!
    Last edited by kcarol; 11-14-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast