Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how much does exercise effect weight loss? page

PookDo is offline Senior Member

how much does exercise effect weight loss?

Primal Fuel
    I know it sounds stupid but how much does exercise effect weight loss? I have the Beachbody program Power 90 and I am starting it this coming Sunday and I'm wondering how much it will accelerate my weight loss?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
    I know it sounds stupid but how much does exercise effect weight loss? I have the Beachbody program Power 90 and I am starting it this coming Sunday and I'm wondering how much it will accelerate my weight loss?
    BODY BY SCIENCE (VIDEO 5): THE SCIENCE OF FAT LOSS »

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Mark says about 10-15%.

You need to get a genetic response going to the fuel you put in your body. That's where the majority of your body composition will be determined.

If you diet is off, no amount of P90 or P90x will get you there unless you are already an athlete who eats children for breakfast.

the workouts themselves are in many ways similar to PB fitness... but longer.

Start here:

Amazon.com: The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (Primal Blueprint Series) (9780982207789): Mark Sisson: Books

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Diet is 90% of weight loss. So, honestly, it won't accelerate your weight loss much. However, what P90 WILL do for you is help you build strength and some muscle definition, so that what you do have will look better.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

tplank is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of generalizations around that say this or that. I can tell you that for this data point, it was pretty important. I do not think it was the “key” nor would I offer a percentage of help it gave me. I’d simply point out the obvious: it depends a great deal on where you are at from a fitness perspective as an individual.

It is an axiom that we should strive to be fit. Things work better when you build muscle and sweat a lot. There are also psychological dimensions in the utility of exercise. Just because it isn’t the main driver in losing fat does not mean that it is not very, very important to your overall health.

I guess it just comes down to that worn-out discussion on lifestyle change. Do you want to change to a healthy lifestyle or not? If yes, how much it helps really doesn’t matter because it will become part of who you are.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Also not discussed is body composition. There is no way you will have a nice butt (for example) without exercising to support it. You can lose fat on your ass but that really just leaves a flat ass in place of a fat one.

This part is way under promoted by the PB in my opinion; so if you just want to lose fat and not gain strength, or improve your body comp all you have to worry about is what you eat otherwise you need to be putting additional effort into your exercise.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-21-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: you => your
    ad astra per aspera

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I think the percentage also varies by the person. I think the average is about 80% diet, 20% exercise, but for some of us, the exercise is more important than that. Diet helps for me, but unless I'm active at least a couple of days per week, I don't see as much effect from diet. And really, if you can add that other 10-20% to your results by getting active, then why wouldn't you?

Besides, as Fast Cat says, there's a huge difference between 150 lbs and fit or 150 lbs with not much muscle. Also, it improves other aspects of health, and IMO healthy people are hot.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Don't know about this programme but swimming has made an enormous difference to me. And I have toned up unbelievably, although I am still seriously overweight and have a long way to go.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    For me, exercise is very important and my primary means of weight loss. I was quite active up until my early thirties - perhaps that is a factor. That's not to say that I don't believe nutrition is very important too.

I agree with FastCat that exercise is under-promoted in PB.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    For me, exercise is very important and my primary means of weight loss. I was quite active up until my early thirties - perhaps that is a factor. That's not to say that I don't believe nutrition is very important too.

I agree with FastCat that exercise is under-promoted in PB.
    It's not underpromoted in PB; it's underpromoted on this forum. When you consider that three of the primal laws are about exercise (four if you count play) and only two about food (and the poisonous things one includes other toxins), the actual PB plan definitely highlights exercise.

The problem is that a lot of people hear the idea that weight loss is mostly affected by diet, so they get all hung up on the food and post silly things like "I don't want to lift heavy things because I'll get muscles and then I'll weigh more!", which is the most ridiculous nonsense when you consider the many, many benefits of exercise (including improved body composition, which makes a person look leaner even if they don't weigh less). Then they promote that idea all over the forums, and people think that exercise doesn't matter or that as long as they go for a walk now and then, that's sufficient.*

There's the same issue with things like getting enough sleep, getting enough sun, and using your mind. The only time I hear people talk about sleep most of the time is either because they found that sleeplessness set off a carb binge or they think lack of sleep is stalling their weight loss.

*Please note: this is not directed at people who cannot exercise or can only do certain kinds of exercise because of a disability or health condition--that's a whole different circumstance and I respect people who do as much as they are able to do, whatever that might be given their ability.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast