Thread: First fast page

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member

First fast

Primal Fuel
    Okey dokey. So I have been primal since Christmas, I exercise regularly - weights twice a week, some long-duration low-intensity cardio, and a few higher intensity sessions, I keep my carb to about 60g according to a random check of my usual veg intake (I don't eat bread, rice, refined carbs, sugar etc), eat lean cuts of protein, use coconut oil to cook, and keep my calories to ~1500cal (at first not the case, but failure to lose anything at all prompted me to cpunt and cut to this level, based on the weight loss section of the primal blueprint). I saw a naturopath and she suggested adding 2 tbl a day of nuts a seeds, so I added 1 tbl macadamia, 1 brazil and 1/2 tbl of linseed ground. I decreased my protein serve slightly to keep my calories to 1500. I also add 1/2 a sheet of seaweed to my lunch salad every day, switched to iodised salt and take a kelp tablet once or twice a week. I regularly get 8 hours sleep. I take fish oil, a multi, vitamin d. And yet I still have lost nothing. In fact the scales say I gained 1 kg, but I think that's just the extra vegetables I'm ingesting - so I'd say zero loss. I haven't lost anything in terms of centimeters or inches. Clothes fit exactly the same (or don't fit). I am 172cm (so 5ft 7ish?), and 71kg. This time last year I was 60kg. I gained and gained last year in spite of dietary efforts to count calories, carbs etc. I think the 10kg can be more attributed to say, 10 events during the year when I indulged (2 weddings, 2 hens days, 1 baby shower, a honeymoon and 1 day at christmas), so could more be characterised as a failure to lose, with intense weight gain rather than slow insidious weight gain. Note - I wouldn't have characterised my eating at these events as especially piggy - just your average-jo indulgence that would see extra kilos naturally drop again after returning to normal diet. I was quite controlled on my honeymoon - yes a few drinks but not many, I ordered fresh low carb whenever I could (80% of the time?), had dessert maybe once over the two week period and still gained 5kg in the short time. However the added kilos never left (nor the 5 kg I'd gained previous to getting married, or the 1kg at christmas). I wasn't a stressed bride - everyone even commented about how calm I was! I was started on thyroxine last year, which has done nothing. My dose was upped 3 months ago, still nothing.

I've gone off track. My point was, I think IF is the last weapon in my arsenal. Fasting scares me - I hate hunger, although since going primal I don't get the severe agitation when a meal is 10mins late like I used to. Anyway, I am going to do my first intermittent fast tomorrow. I am going to start easy - have dinner tonight, probably about 6pm, then nothing til lunch time tomorrow - aiming for 12 noon. So, 18 hours. I am going to do it twice this week - both days I have organised to work from home.

Just wanted to share, any advice welcomed - I am a bit nervous! (not sure why - it's only food I know!)

Lucy

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Hunger is unpleasant, but it's not the end of the world. If you fast, you WILL get hungry. When it happens it lasts for I don't know... 5 minutes maybe, then passes. After another hour or something, you'll get another call for food, and it'll pass.

As somebody who fasts (sometimes 24-36 hours) and enjoys it, my best advice is to get used to feeling hungry and knowing it's not going to kill you. It's making you stronger. I'm willing to bet you've endured more difficult challenges than a few hunger pangs. If not, you've one lucky woman.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    A few miscellaneous thoughts:
    • Long duration low intensity exercise could be promoting appetite and making things harder.
    • What are the nuts & seeds for? They are energy dense and could be displacing more satiating foods. You mentioned curbing protein intake to meet a low calorie target. Maybe the animal protein will keep you more satistfied than the same calories from nuts & seeds!
    • I work from home and that makes it easier for me to over eat, or break a fast. If I had a choice I'd be arranging to work any where BUT from home if I were concerned about hunger.
    • Are the strength sessions challenging, or just going through the motions?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    A few miscellaneous thoughts:
    • Long duration low intensity exercise could be promoting appetite and making things harder.
    • What are the nuts & seeds for? They are energy dense and could be displacing more satiating foods. You mentioned curbing protein intake to meet a low calorie target. Maybe the animal protein will keep you more satistfied than the same calories from nuts & seeds!
    • I work from home and that makes it easier for me to over eat, or break a fast. If I had a choice I'd be arranging to work any where BUT from home if I were concerned about hunger.
    • Are the strength sessions challenging, or just going through the motions?

Thanks for the feedback. Um,
    1. Possibly, but it's generally only one long hike per week, or one long ride. And to be honest I'm not hungry per se, I am doing fine on 1500 cal (even though it makes life difficult in that I need to always pack my own food). I probably wouldn't drop lower because I am just making my protein allowance. I guess it's not the difficulty of sticking to the amount food, it's the frustration that no fat loss is occurring.
    2. I dunno, she said I needed more healthy fat from the nuts, and some more omega. I could swap back, but frankly I wasn't losing weight with more the protein/no nuts approach either!
    3. I don't snack between my meals either way, but I guess I just want the safety of being able to grab a coffee with some milk in if I feel feint around 10am or what have you. If it goes OK I probably could consider doing it on work days instead...I could have a sleep in!
    4. Yes, I have a Personal Trainer for one session and she makes me hurt, the second session I lift some heavier weights at home, but just a short session as per the Primal Book.

Update - fasting until lunchtime wasn't even that hard! I got up and started working pretty much straight away, and just had green tea and water. A few hunger pangs, but as mentioned to me above, they passed pretty quickly. I'll be doing it again when I work from home Friday. Maybe after a few weeks I'll even go for a dinner to dinner fast.

Definitely couldn't do it at work though! I am a PhD student and share an office with many studious
    international students who never leave their desk - hence eat in the office, and the aromas of all those different cuisines drives me crazy even when I've had a decent breakfast!

It's probably bad manners to comment so much on your own post, but hopefully someone will read this last comment and offer some more advice The earlier stuff was quite helpful to me.

Since the fast yesterday went quite well, and I have been struggling to lose weight, I thought I might do another 18 hour fast tomorrow and Friday (so nothing from dinner till lunch tomorrow, same again the next day). Then I thought I might try for 3-4 days next week, mainly weekdays since I'll be distracted by work etc.

Does this seem like too much?
    And in terms of what I eat on those fasting days, is it right to just eat a normal lunch and dinner, hence cutting out about a third of the days calories? Or should I at least up my serves of protein to ensure I am still getting the right number of grams for my body weight?

Any help appreciated.