Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teflon page

huntingBears is offline Senior Member

Teflon

I'm going to buy a new frying pan tomorrow, should I be overly concerned about using teflon? Are there any decent alternatives? what do you guys use?

patski is offline Senior Member
    I have a ceramic frying pan, and it's awesome. Totally non-stick.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Cast iron or enamelled cast iron generally. I have one stainless steel frying pan, but I almost never use it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Cast iron, heavy French lined copper pans and the ceramic.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I have a ceramic frying pan, and it's awesome. Totally non-stick.
    This! I love the ceramic frying pans. Mine are Volrath and are fantastic. I also use stainless stockpots and an enamel coated cast iron dutch oven that I love. If you go with cheaper teflon pans, keep your temps at medium and hand wash. They are okay for awhile, but if you see any degredation in the surface, throw them out.

gcbcb is offline Member
    carbon steel frying pan + butter = incredible nonstick qualities

Also, carbon steel pans are basically indestructible, unlike nonstick coated pans.

JellyNellie is offline Junior Member
    I just replaced my teflon saute pan, which I actually loved. But teflon contains known carcinogens, and once I read about that I just couldn't use it anymore. Sure, the company claims it's safe until reaching a certain temp. but why risk it?? Ditch the teflon, there are so many better alternatives and its worth the peace of mind.

I got a Lodge cast iron that I've used with sausage and bacon so far and it worked perfectly. I also have a Le Creuset 3.5 qt braiser that I found at Marshalls. It is not as 'nonstick' as teflon, but it is easy to care for and any stains are easily removed with baking soda. I'm looking for just one more pan so I can do veggies/meat at the same time.. maybe stainless steel or maybe just another cast iron, not sure yet.

Good luck!

Jen

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcbcb View Post
    carbon steel frying pan + butter = incredible nonstick qualities

Also, carbon steel pans are basically indestructible, unlike nonstick coated pans.
    This.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    We use stainless steel pots/pans (Paderno Copperline) and a cast iron pan. To make cleaning a snap, grab a package of those spirally stainless steel scrubbers. No problems whatsoever. I won't touch those garbage non-stick coatings ever again.

thyme is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Shell out for a carbon steel pan, if you can. It's easy to cure--heat it at a low temp with fat (tallow, lard, ghee), let cool, repeat. Don't wash with soap--just hot water. The problem with Teflon is that it reaches the acknowledged-unsafe temperatures very, very quickly on your stove, so it does break down in the course of normal cooking.

here's an EWG story on it:
    Toxic Teflon

As for cast iron--I love my cast iron skillets. I've got five of them, all well-cured, well-used, and well-loved. I use them for frying up anything with mass--steak, for example--where I want the pan to hold enough heat to keep blasting the steak after its cool mass hits the pan. Mine are well cured enough now for eggs, too, but I prefer the carbon steel frying pan for eggs & the like, where I want the heat of the stove to keep blasting through the pan without much drop when the food enters the pan. They serve different purposes...I like 'em both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast