Thread: Supplements for training - looking for advice page

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member

Supplements for training - looking for advice

Primal Fuel
    Been keeping primal since I started back in 2010. I am now in decent enough shape that I am training for 2 - 1/2 marathons and the Tough Mudder this summer. I run 22km at least once per week with shorter jaunts up to 10km a few times a week. I use a bowflex for weight training along with a local kid's jungle gym, a pull-up bar and kettle bells.

I've been taking a few supplements but not certain if I'm taking the right amounts for optimal results. I've reviewed what I find online and the suggestions vary wildly. Most assume that the user does not eat primal, which is why I figured that asking here was the best option. I've gone to various GNC stores and whole food stores like Planet Organic, but the advice was conflicting from store to store (@GNC they just wanted to sell the highest-priced products) or not forthcoming (Planet Organic - I don't think the girl there has ever lifted a weight heavier than a celery stalk. At least she was honest enough to say she had no idea.)

I take CLA, Krill oil (to thin my blood so I don't have to take warfarin), NAG, chromium picolinate, magnesium, L-Glutamine.

After workouts I have one serving of whey protein to support muscle development and recovery. I'm also gluten-free, soy-free, and legume-free. I don't have issues with dairy.

Thanks!
    You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    looks like you are getting lots of good stuff. maybe look into a product called master amino acid pattern to help with recovery. there is also a company called bioletics that does testing for athletes that could let you know what you need.

PhiPsiJB is offline Junior Member
    HonuRacer: What type of supplements are you looking to use? In other words, are you looking for supplements solely for recovery or do you need energy sources (for lack a better term) for use before and during training?

Your recovery supplements seem solid so if you need the latter I recommend Hammer Nutrition products such as Perpetuem. Upon checking the website it is a gluten-free and vegan-friendly product. I have used Perpetuem extensively with great results in multiple marathons and triathlons of all distances.

Hammer Gel is a great option, as well. As with Perpetuem it is gluten-free and vegan-friendly. This is also my energy gel of choice when I choose to use them. I highly recommend the Apple Cinnamon and Banana flavors, by the way...it's tough to believe an energy gel can taste so good!

As a note, I do not know if other products from Hammer Nutrition are also gluten-free and so on, but the website appears to be very descriptive in that regard when it comes to the ingredient/nutritional content for all of its products. Just click the "Nutrition" tab for each product and it shows the nutrition information in detail.

Hope this helps a bit...if not let me know and I'll do what I can to make recommendations for your needs.

Thanks for the info. I'm mainly looking for training and recovery supplements, particularly ones that help the body to use stored fats and reduce lactic acid build-up. Of course, how you train is more important in the prevention of lactic acid build-up than taking anything that might help with the after effects of going overboard when training. I'm mindful of breathing and not overdoing my workouts.

I checked the ingredients list of Perpetuem - it lists natural grain dextrin, soy protein and soy lecithin. The soy makes it a no-no already. If it didn't have soy, I'd still have to know the source of the grain dextrin. If it's a gluten-containing grain then I can't take this product. It is listed as being gluten-free but with the new standards as to what can be labeled gluten-free, it's not so easy to be safe anymore. With these restrictions it's been very difficult to find a good product. I find that whey-based products work well for me.

I have tried the Endurolytes Fizz tabs, but keep coming back to Ultima.

If what I'm already taking will help me accomplish my goals then I'm happy. If there's anything I should add to my supplement list then I'd be happy to hear about it, particularly how much I should be taking.
    You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I don't have anything to add, but I have a question. Did you notice any improvement in your fasting glucose from taking the chromium? I tried taking magnesium daily to see if it would have any effect, but it didn't.

I have not had a blood test recently so I don't know whether it has affected my fasting glucose. Unless I had diabetes I wouldn't be able to get tested on a regular basis. Chromium is supposed to lower fasting glucose from what I've read, and if taken with diabetes medication can lead to hypoglycaemia, which can be dangerous.

I intend to take it only as long as I'm training. Once the races are done in August, I'm off the chromium again.

If you plan on taking it, take it with Vitamin C as it appears to increase uptake. And don't go overboard with dosing. High doses of chromium picolinate "MAY" lead to oxidative DNA damage (cancer) and kidney and liver failure. The few studies that were done did not show adverse effects, yet there are a few reports where patients had liver/kidney failure after only a couple of weeks taking chromium. I believe that they may have had underlying conditions since large numbers of adverse-effect cases don't appear in the literature. Compare that to the incredibly scary number of side-effects of today's drugs being peddled on TV every day.

Read these reports and make up your own mind. Keep in mind that big pharma tends to fund these types of research. Their goal is to discredit natural medicine and alternative medicine because it cuts into their bottom line.

Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University
    Chromium: MedlinePlus Supplements