Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can eating too much protein cause gout? page

David is offline Senior Member

Can eating too much protein cause gout?

Some people tell me that eating too much protein, such as meat, will cause gout. As far as I know, no one that I know that eats a Paleo diet has had trouble with gout. Has anyone had symptoms of gout when eating a lot of protein? I haven't.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I had gout back when I was doing Atkins. Serioously painful. In that case, I wasn't drinking enough water and there was a ton of uric acid being cleaned out of my system. I started drinking more and it went away.

Fast forward about 10 years and I fully expected the same thing when I started eating Primal. Never happened, and I hadn't upped my water intake..

It's my understanding that eating Primal doesn't cause gout. Eating protein, especially meat, gets blamed for a world of hurt that has nothing to do with it. Google "gout" and "paleo" together and you'll see what I mean. Scroll past the militant vegan sites and you'll find actual research saying it's just not true.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jammies is offline Senior Member
    My dad thinks his gout flares are from pork, my brother thinks his own gout is from red meat and alcohol. But both consume lots of grains and sugars.

There was something floating around here a long time ago that the meat is only an issue in the presence of lots of sugar or especially high fructose corn syrup.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yes, kidney function is compromised by excess sugars that make it harder to excrete uric acid. Excess sugars aren't a problem on primal. Nor is excess alcohol.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

GrokDoll is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Yes, kidney function is compromised by excess sugars that make it harder to excrete uric acid. Excess sugars aren't a problem on primal. Nor is excess alcohol.
    Offtopic, do you know if the sugar/kidney function relationship has an impact the formation on calcium oxalate kidney stones?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokDoll View Post
    Offtopic, do you know if the sugar/kidney function relationship has an impact the formation on calcium oxalate kidney stones?
    Oooh....I would love to know the answer to this as well. I do NOT like kidney stones.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

VenDexter is offline Junior Member
    I've suffered from both kidney stones and gout prior to becoming paleo/primal. I finally nailed mine down to excessive HFCS. Haven't had any problems with either since eliminating corn syrup and refined sugars.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokDoll View Post
    I would expect so, and VenDexter obviously has some experience of that.

Avoid sugar!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I have had two episodes of gout. Both times I pigged out on pastachios the day before the flair up. I remember wondering if the large amount I ate had anything to do with it the first time. It became quite clear to me the second time that it most definitely did. I like them, but not that much!!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think there are certain foods like asparagus that gout sufferers have to watch out for, but I've always heard it's excess drinking that makes it really bad. The one gout sufferer I know is a heavy drinker (and is obese).
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast