Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a crazy idea: collard greens/kale SOUP page

patski is offline Senior Member

Got a crazy idea: collard greens/kale SOUP

Primal Fuel
    My soon-to-be wife really hates the texture of kale, or collard greens. I cook 'em up in bacon fat; and while she'll eat it, she doesn't like it.

So, I got to thinking: what if you sautéed some onions 'n garlic in your fat of choice, added some lemongrass, maybe a few hot peppers...chicken stock. Then dumped some frozen greens of your choice just until they were cooked. Then blended the snot out of it, and added some coconut milk?!

Does that sound awesome, or am I just bat-shit insane? I haven't eaten since 2 in the afternoon yesterday, so it's possible I'm nuts...LOL
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    There's a good recipe that is basically that same thing (minus the lemongrass and chilis) in the PB Cookbook, and I make it fairly often. I made some on the weekend using rapini, beet greens, and homemade chicken stock, and it's delicious. My partner is not a huge fan of most of the dark greens other than spinach, but he happily eats them in soup form.

I like the lemongrass and chilis idea, and I'm going to have to try that sometime soon.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I don't have either lemongrass or chili peppers in my house currently.

I'm going to have to make this. Maybe today! I've got chicken stock cooking nicely on the stove, AND just discovered the frozen veggie isle in Whole Foods. Bought two bags of frozen greens for less than $3 each. That's CHEAP for a Canadian Whole Foods, LOL
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating kale soup for... well, pretty much forever. And collards are pretty interchangeable for kale. So those work too. Broccoli greens as well... but unless you are growing it there in rarely access to large amounts of the stuff.
    Never blended though... more chunky soup style with veg and sausage/meat balls. NOM!

Nix the coconut cream though... GAH! Those two tastes would not go well. (IMO... maybe you could try it on a small portion first to see how you like it.)
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Oh, dude. Adding meatballs sounds fantastic!

I don't always add a creamy fat to soups. Only if I feel like it calls for it. Even then it's added to an individual bowl of soup.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I've been eating kale soup for... well, pretty much forever. And collards are pretty interchangeable for kale. So those work too. Broccoli greens as well... but unless you are growing it there in rarely access to large amounts of the stuff.
    Never blended though... more chunky soup style with veg and sausage/meat balls. NOM!

Nix the coconut cream though... GAH! Those two tastes would not go well. (IMO... maybe you could try it on a small portion first to see how you like it.)
    Actually, adding a cup of coconut milk just makes it taste like a normal cream soup. The flavour of the chicken stock, garlic, onions, and greens pretty much overwhelms any coconut taste. I was unsure of how it would taste too, but it is quite good.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    I've become a huge fan of blended everything (soups, green smoothies) since buying a Vitamix a few years ago. I have bad teeth and sometimes it can hurt to eat, and it's so much easier if I can just blend things, especially vegetables. Thanks to the Vitamix I can eat raw carrots and spinach and celery. I can definitely say your proposed recipe sounds like a real winner. I'd try it!

Man, I would love a Vitamix if they weren't so damned expensive!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    This is pretty much my standard "amuse bouche" recipe.

All the stalks, crappy bits and what-not that I trim off things, I just bung in a pan, boil and blend like crazy, usually with a few spinach leaves. Pass through a sieve just to pull out anything really bad and reduce, blending in some butter at the end.

Done!

It ain't batshit nor crazy ... pretty damn sound idea, actually.

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is crazy? Never knew. Been eating kale and collards soup since I was a little child.

Caldo verde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can use turnip or rutabaga instead of potato if you want.
    Sorry, I would link you to a recipe, but all English recipes for this soup are really really terrible. Please find a Portuguese grandma near you =)
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 02-22-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: I caent taipe.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast