Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest discovery! page

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Holy crap!!!

Since arriving to the abundance of spinach and cabbage here in the UK at the beginning of January, I've been consuming it raw, in salads like nobdy's business, sometimes in HUGE amounts, three times a day. I just found out that eating raw crusiferous vegetables is detrimental to the thyroid! I've been suspicious of my thyroid being low, since I've also put on a lot of weight and have been feeling lethargic. In addition, I'm a breast feeding mamma, and this is not a good thing in terms of iodine.

Here's the link:

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...crucifers.html

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

The whole raw cruciferous thing threw me, too. Now I eat them rarely and make sure to steam or cook them when I do. Romaine, cucumbers, celery, and carrots are pretty much the only veggies I will eat raw.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Primalchild: Ah, okay, now I know what my salads will consist of! Why not red/orange/yellow peppers? And are tomatoes out too? I have so much to learn, but I'm ready and willing!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Well, technically speaking, bell peppers are fruit, but yeah, I eat those raw. Tomatoes are out if you're strict paleo. I don't crave them either way.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Stabby is offline Senior Member

You can't blame me for being extremely skeptical. Perhaps there are substances that block thyroid hormones, but the extent to which they do is of the utmost importance. For fuck's sake they warned against eating spinach due to oxalic acid content, but the amount in spinach is so small that it hardly makes a difference.

Just my critical inquiry. These things usually aren't so black and white.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I think they're all fine cooked. I eat A LOT of cruciferous vegg and don't have problems, but it is all cooked. Besides onions and lettuce I mostly eat cruciferous veg (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage). I do eat peppers and tomatoes but not nearly as much as the cruciferous stuff.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

Raw cruciferous vegetables are widely known to be goitrogenic, and people with thyroid problems are advised not to eat too much of them, though individual responses vary. But I haven't heard that much that they cause problems for otherwise healthy individuals.

That said, post-partum hypothyroidism is a widely recognized phenomenon, so I'd say you should absolutely have your thyroid checked.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I was just gonna post about this like yesterday!!!!

What with the cruciferous veg and the nightshades... what the heck are we supposed to eat?!?!?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

If we freak out and shy away from everything that has the slightest downside, we are left with only water. Reverse osmosis water of course. Wouldn't want a trillionth of a microgram of chlorine to get through.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast