Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When Carbs & Cardio Work . . . page

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Why do standard low-fat diets and chronic cardio seem to work for some people for weight loss?

I know they're not getting the overall health of a primal/paleo lifestyle, etc . . . but for some people the CW approach does seem to work.

It's a question that comes up when I try to explain Primal and I was kinda wondering how to answer it effectively.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

It "worked" for me to a degree, only I ended up losing muscle mass as well as fat, and now I'm having to make up what went wrong.

Clint is offline Senior Member

Well, cutting off my leg would give me an instant 40 lb weight loss, but that doesn't mean it's the best approach!

All kidding aside, every approach works for weight loss, to an extent. Even eating disorders. But, like you mentioned,the health benefits are not being fully realized. You're in this for the lifestyle not just weight loss. Although that might be your biggest motivator, it's not the only benefit.

The other factor is sustainability. The low-fat, chronic cardio people will have to do that EVERY day to maintain and possibly even up the intensity when they get older. Where as the PB standards are less frequent and intensity is based on you level of fitness. That's my $0.02 anyway.

jostle is offline Senior Member

A couple years back I would eat tons of carbs and basically just any junk(like a half gallon of chocolate ice cream in on sitting weekly) you put in front of me to get to 3500-4000+ cals a day. My workouts usually consisted of 2 a days of anaerobic cardio, heavy lifting, plus working out if i was bored. Doing this pretty consistently till my senior yr in college I was down to 8% BF and feeling pretty good. The thing is I had a crazy and almost ravenous hunger all the time and worked out at least 2-3 hrs a day, which didn't seem like a sustainable lifestyle.

Eventually once I started working i couldn't keep up the workout routines and really didn't feel like eating so much, so I bounced back up to 18% BF back about 6 months.

Started, doing paleo eating, then primal for the past couple months and have got my BF back down near 10% and eating only when I feel like eating.

The primal lifestyle just feels more in tune with how our bodies are designed to work. Right now Primal just seems effortless compared to how a couple years back i went about to get my body comp down to 8%.

Also, I think some bodies are genetically better at dealing with the carbs. Since without really doing anything and eating basically junk I always stay around 15-20% BF.

Jedi is offline Member

"Also, I think some bodies are genetically better at dealing with the carbs. Since without really doing anything and eating basically junk I always stay around 15-20% BF."

But 15-20% is not at all lean for a guy

Karin Guest

Low-fat leaves me hungry all the time.

Jedi,

Most would consider the 15-20% below average and especially for eating so badly with minimal working out. At 15 most people around comment that I'm "cut" but once I hit around 10 or below i get more of the "your ripped" comments. I would have to say genetics are what keep me around the 15 while eating anything and everything. Most people eating and exercising like that usually continually gain.

Conan Guest

If someone is really at 15% bodyfat, they are decently lean. I think most people understimate their bodyfat. If anyone tells you their bodyfat is in the single digits they are either anorexic, elite athlete, ignorant or a liar .

Wow, ignorant or a liar, not sure how that could be if the person used multiple methods to measure BF and averages the results. I could see if someone is just estimating by looks or something. Using multiple methods such as calipers, hydrostatic, and resistance scales, I would think one could come up with a fairly good idea of their BF measurement.

Back to the topic of Carbs & Cardio, I definitely think its more to due with genetics. Another example is my brother who was a competitive sprinter and currently only sprints a couple times a week in addition to body weight workouts. He also eats fairly high carbs and frequently is near single digits for BF based on available test methods.

Conan Guest

Jostle, most people don't use multiple methods and most methods are inaccurate. If you are using hydrostatic testing you are in a very small minority and if you are in the single digits then you are probably either an elite athlete or have amazing genetics. I wasn't speaking specifically to you - I just see people all the time who say they have 6% bodyfat when they are probably closer to 12%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast