Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it scientific fact that meat causes cancer? page

@lex is offline Senior Member

Is it scientific fact that meat causes cancer?

Primal Fuel
    These folks seem to think so...

i told you so! -- science confirms eating animal products bad for you - 30 Bananas a Day!

Odd how something we've been consuming for millions of years suddenly did a 180 on us and decided to be the leading cause of cancer eh? Christ,I wish people would focus on the real issues and not throw up a convenient scapegoat.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Yawwwwwwn....

Quote Originally Posted by funnyhouse88 View Post
    wow! i think it's a big problem! but i'm a vegetarian, so i agree the science LOL
    That's just the thing,people agree with whatever supports their ideals regardless of whether it's flawed or not. Has there ever been a tightly controlled clinical study done that shows without a doubt that eating healthy animal products like grass fed beef and so on causes cancer? Not that I know of,and if anyone out there has seen one I'd love a link.It isn't rocket science that if you eat ANY food that's loaded with chemicals and additives that humans shouldn't be eating over a long period of time you end up sick.I'm sure that eating processed meat scraps loaded with chemicals can cause all kinds of horrible things to happen to you,much in the same way that eating cans of fruit drowned in a sugary HFCS concoction can mess you up badly.People need to stop blaming foods that have existed for millions of years and start blaming all the fucked up things we do to these foods and the garbage we add to them,because that's where the real problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Araki View Post
    30 bananas a day?....jeez, I hope they're not REALLY eating that.

Anyways, I agree with you @lex. Everyone is biased towards what they want to believe; but sometime I wonder...I must be biased myself as well, haha. But I think it's just natural to be that way, everyone is.
    I've come to realize that when it comes to some things there isn't a universal truth,and there instead exists a personal truth that is comprised of an individuals life experiences,personal needs,and the information that they've gathered.The trouble is,some people feel the need to interpret these personal truths as a universal things that must apply to everyone,and that's when they twist context and do all sorts of odd things to sell their views as facts.Personally,I'm biased towards the consumption of animal products,because the experiences in my life have shown me that eating them in healthy forms is beneficial to me,but I don't think that someone who doesn't want to eat meat should go against their beliefs and eat it simply because myself and other people do.It'd be great if we could live in a world where nobody,person or animal,had to suffer or die to benefit another,but sadly the world isn't such a place and some things die so others can live and no amount of twisted science or opinions is going to change that fact.

Yes,factory farming is an absolutely disgusting practice,but what many vegans seem to forget is that meat isn't the only thing farmed at such a level and crops are farmed in ways that are also damaging the planet.The truth is you can't naturally feed 7 billion human beings because the earth was never meant to naturally support so many of us.The worldwide population has more than doubled since the 1950's according to the census reports,and you have to go outside of nature to feed that many people,and that's were factory farming,genetic modification of crops,chemicals and pesticides,and all sorts of other horrible things come into play.Not to be a downer or anything,but there is no silver lining or happy ending here.People are going to keep overreaching and fucking things up until we destroy ourselves,or at least that's the only foreseeable outcome if we keep doing the things we are now.People not eating meat isn't going to change this,because even if we didn't factory farm meat we still have numerous other horrible habits that are damning us to eventual destruction.

My personal hope is for it to all end with a zombie apocalypse,because at least then I have a plan of action.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Farmed meat is horrendous, atrocious for human health. But we all know that.

Conventional wisdom won't ever catch up to us. Ever. They may meet us a little (like this Harvard study, but see? They still advocate veggie oils and cutting back on BUTTER).

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Consider the source in this case.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

BIG FOOD won't ever let a study like this happen, but if there was a solid study on regular beef consumption vs. grass fed beef consumption, i suspect the latter would only have health benefits, and no downside.

but my god, we can't just stop growing wheat and corn and replace it with grazing space for cattle! then how would we feed the world?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Farmed meat is horrendous, atrocious for human health. But we all know that.

Conventional wisdom won't ever catch up to us. Ever. They may meet us a little (like this Harvard study, but see? They still advocate veggie oils and cutting back on BUTTER).
    Yeah,I had high hopes for that article,but then they were crushed once I actually got into it.I don't think anyone is arguing that eating heavily processed and additive laden meat is healthy,but whenever a study comes out showing that eating that garbage is bad for you some vegans go "HAHAHA! We win because this study says eating processed meat scraps and chemicals is bad for you!Take that paleo community!".That'd be like seeing a study that says eating fruit sprayed with pesticides and packaged into cans full of HFCS syrup and chemicals are bad for you,and making the assumption that all fruits are bad....it's just stupid.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The article is from 30 Bananas, which speaks for itself. The article also states:

if you find yourself becoming intrigued by what you read here, you may want to purchase dr greger's dvds from his website. he gives all proceedings to charity. in fact, i received the collection of studies from him by making a donation to mercy for animals, an excellent and dynamic organization we both support.
    The author of the original article 30 BAD referenced is Michael Greger, MD, and his bio page says:

Michael Greger, M.D., is a physician, author, and internationally recognized professional speaker on a number of important public health issues. Dr. Greger has lectured at the Conference on World Affairs, the National Institutes of Health, and the International Bird Flu Summit, among countless other symposia and institutions, testified before Congress, and was invited as an expert witness in defense of Oprah Winfrey at the infamous "meat defamation" trial. Currently Dr. Greger proudly serves as the Director of Public Health and Animal Agriculture at the Humane Society of the United States.

Dr. Greger's recent scientific publications in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Biosecurity and Bioterrorism, Critical Reviews in Microbiology, Family & Community Health, and the International Journal of Food Safety, Nutrition, and Public Health explore the public health implications of industrialized animal agriculture.

Dr. Greger is also licensed as a general practitioner specializing in clinical nutrition and was a founding member of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine. He was featured on the Healthy Living Channel promoting his latest nutrition DVDs and honored to teach part of Dr. T. Colin Campbell's esteemed nutrition course at Cornell University. Dr. Greger's nutrition work can be found at NutritionFacts.org.

His latest two books are Bird Flu: A Virus of Our Own Hatching and Carbophobia: The Scary Truth Behind America's Low Carb Craze. Dr. Greger is a graduate of the Cornell University School of Agriculture and the Tufts University School of Medicine.
    So... vegan much?
    Last edited by RitaRose; 02-19-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

patski is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Vegans are brain-damaged, ok? LOL No, I'm serious.

Weston Price's site has great articles on why veganism/vegetarianism is unhealthy, and one of the things he talks about is lack of B12. Lacking in B12 vitamins makes for hostile, angry people. That explains A LOT of their behaviours, frankly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast