Thread: Cod liver oil vs. chicken liver: Which is nutritionally superior? page

shema is offline Senior Member

Cod liver oil vs. chicken liver: Which is nutritionally superior?

I’m trying to decide between using cod liver oil or chicken liver as a “natural supplement”...I have low levels of vitamin D and iron and I know both are excellent sources. I also just started trying to conceive and I know that cod liver oil and chicken liver are good sources of folate.

However I need to be careful b/c from what I understand high levels of Vitamin A are to be avoided when one is trying to conceive.

So am I better off eating chicken liver on a weekly basis, or just sticking to cod liver oil? What’s the right daily dosage of cod liver oil if I go with that?

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    I know some people here are careful to make sure their omega-6 intake isn't too high.

Pork fat and chicken fat contains high levels of omega-6. I am not sure how fatty chicken liver is to be honest, but cod is guaranteed to have plenty of omega-3s, which are good (not in MASSIVE doses, but essential nonetheless)!
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

shema is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for pointing that out Tealia! I wasn't even thinking about omega-3s and omega-6s.

So I decided to go out and buy some Carlson's cod liver oil. The only thing that worries me is that the dosage of Vitamin D3 isn't quite as high as I was hoping. One serving size (5 soft gels) is only 400IU.

When I was last tested (back in October) my D3 level was 17 ng/ML where the normal range is 30-100. So I think I need a pretty high dose of Vitamin D to catch myself up.

Maybe I'll continue taking my 5000IU D3 supplement in addition to the cod liver oil....