Thread: PWO/extra carbs for very active days? page

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Ok, folks. Most of you know by now that I run a horse farm. With spring coming on, I'm spending more and more time on training, riding, gardening, and farm work, as well as keeping up my regular workout schedule (2x week each of heavy lifting, gymnastics/bodyweight, and sprints/HIIT).

All winter, I've done just fine on 50-80g carbs per day and no particular PWO meals (in fact, I rarely ate within 2 hours of any workout).

Now that I'm putting in a couple more hours of activity per weekday evening, plus all day outdoor work on weekends, I find myself dragging post workout and for the rest of the day, even with the addition of PWO meals (cottage cheese and kiwi/eggs and veggies). I mean that no-energy, heavy-legs, just-want-to-surf-the-web kind of dragging.

However, a good shot of carbs and fat, like an apple with almond butter and raisins works like rocket fuel to propel me through a full day's physical activity even after a tough workout. I can easily stay under 125g carbs even with the addition of this snack (which I could replace with a sweet potato and coconut milk to avoid the fructose).

My goals are to continue building strength while maintaining leanness (ok, so I'd like to lean out a touch more, but that's just me being obsessive -- I'm quite lean already) and having the energy to blast through long, busy days on the farm. I guess my biggest concern is that I'll lose leanness by upping the carbs...but then again, my activity is higher...

I understand that PWO carbs aren't necessary for refueling between workouts, if you're pretty much just working out every 24 hours...but what if you have a ton of physical work to accomplish in between?

Think the extra carbs are ok? Good idea? Bad idea? Got a better idea?

I'm female, 5'3", 122 lbs (lotsa muscle), age 31. Typical intake is 1800-2200 calories, 60-70% fat, 20-30% protein, and 5-15% carbs.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

You can try that, adding those carbs---but you may need to cut down on your formal workouts if your daily activity is ramping up and you are already lifting a lot of weight on farm chores, etc.

If that fatigue doesn't respond to a dietary alteration, don't forget that you get stronger during recovery...

I am exquisitely sensitive to issues of overtraining because my health really suffered from it, so I may be completely off the mark, but I think it's worth considering.

In my own case, I so blew off any suggestion that I needed more rest......

Sooze

Wise counsel, Sooze. My training partners keep a close eye on me because I, like you, have that tendencey to PUSH THROUGH NO MATTER WHAT. I'm getting better about respecting the value of rest, though -- taking an extra day off, here and there, and I go out of my way to get plenty of sleep.

Fortunately for me, most of the farm work falls under "moving slowly," though of course there are moments of "lifting heavy things" and "running really fast." Quite primal, actually.

Assuming the fatigue *does* respond to an extra 60g or so of carbs per day, does that sound reasonable?

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

chima_p is offline Senior Member

With all that activity there is no risk that you will lose leanness. The carbs should be stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen.

Thanks, chima.

I was thinking about this further last night, after climbing into bed, and remembered your quote from a few days back:

"Fat + Carbs + full glycogen stores = Triglyceride Factory.

Fat + Carbs + empty Glycogen stores = Glycogen Storage."

Yeah. Duh. Remember the basics.