Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dukan diet??? page

diinky1119 is offline Member

Dukan diet???

I am not losing fast enough .. what are your thoughts on dukan diet??

MrsC is offline Member
    It's very restrictive (especially in beginning stages), and probably not do-able long term. But everyone is different, and I have heard of people having success on it.

As far as not losing "fast enough", that can depend on a lot of things. Maybe you're eating too many extra calories, maybe your carbs are too low, or maybe you just have unrealistic expectations of how quickly the weight should come off.

I hope you find something that works and makes you happy!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Too low fat - unhealthy
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

dado Guest
    YOu're better than this, dinky.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    From the website for the diet: "Oat Bran is the cornerstone of the Dukan Diet and has a multitude of benefits."

Any diet that uses one specific food as a cornerstone seems suspicious to me,and while I think oats aren't as bad as say wheat or barley,they certainly aren't good enough to be the cornerstone of a healthy diet.I'd have to do more research on it to reach a final conclusion,but at a quick glance it seems rather shitty.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I thought the Dukan diet was 1 day only meat, 1 day meat + veg, alternating. It's basically VLC strict paleo from my understanding. A friend did that and lost 15 lb very quickly.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

diinky1119 is offline Member
    I know!! after reading on it .. no way!! I love pb , I am just going to eat less and no little cheats!

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Dukan's diet excludes fat - it allows just a little liquid paraffin on salads, if you can't do without any fat, but otherwise it's extremely low-fat. If you eat dairy, it has to be 0.1% fat. And yes, it means one or a couple of day eating just protein and then the same number of days eating protein + veg. Oatbran is a given - you eat a given amount (3-4 spoonfuls, I think) everyday to keep the intestines working.

I suppose Dukan's regimen would put you in ketosis - it's very low-carb. And since you're not consuming fat, you would start burning your body fat directly, that would explain the rapid weight loss. But then Dukan tells you that once you've reached your goal weight, you can go back to eating whatever you want, you just do one protein-only day a week for the rest of your life - that way you are supposed to be able to maintain your new weight. I suppose that wouldn't be healthy for the body, after all you've managed to put it in fat-burning mode and then you can switch it back to sugar-burning mode.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I thought the Dukan diet was 1 day only meat, 1 day meat + veg, alternating. It's basically VLC strict paleo from my understanding. A friend did that and lost 15 lb very quickly.
    Yes that's right. It is quite low fat and low-fat artificially sweetened products are allowed. If you up the fat a bit and forget the AS products then it's good. The oatbran is once per day made into a pancake.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So what if it can achieve rapid weight loss? Anyone can achieve that by extreme restriction of calories and being bloody minded enough, without having to follow x,y,z diet plan to the letter.

Low fat causes cannabilisation of essential fatty acids from the brain and internal organs unless very carefully formulated essential fatty acid supplements are taken. I'm not just talking fish oil here. I've not seen anyone get healthy on a low fat diet - quite the opposite in fact. I've seen friends destroy their health to the point where they've been unable to work for years. It's tragic.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast