Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Polcamilla) page

Polcamilla is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (Polcamilla)

Shop Now
    Today is my 10th day of trying to eat Primal/Paleo. I figure writing down what I eat each day would be a good idea. So far I haven't noticed any particular health effects (positive or negative) since the start except for ferocious carb-cravings the first 4 days which shut off like a lightswitch on the 5th. I've cheated every single day (except one) but I think I've cheated less egregiously each day and it's obvious that my weakness is sugar. From this past Tuesday (Valentine's Day) to Thursday, my cheat was multiple pieces of See's candy. I figured I'd be good starting yesterday but my daughter wanted mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert, then didn't eat it, so when I was tidying the kitchen afterward, I found her bowl of melted mint chocolate chip soup and.....and I ate most of it. Today I'm off to an okay start, but the Pure Bar DID have rice protein isolate and agave syrup in it.

Starting weight: 138.8 lbs.
    Current weight: 134.2 lbs.

B: 1 hardboiled egg, 1 Pure Bar (apple pie)
    L: a handful of chopped teriyaki chicken breast, 1 package of TJ's roasted seaweed, 1 TJ's brie bite
    D: Souplantation: large salad with spinach, spring greens, romaine lettuce, black olives, egg, and 1000 Island dressing, plus a bowl of big chunk chicken noodle soup (avoiding the noodles)
    Des: Cadbury Creme Egg (I haven't eaten this yet, but it's gonna happen)
    Last edited by Polcamilla; 02-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Yesterday wasn't such a good day dietwise, but a large chunk of the day was at a meeting/potluck with some deli meat, condiments, and everything else a bread, chip, cookie, or cake. I touched none of that so I'm content.

L: hard boiled egg, cookie dough Larabar, coconut pie Larabar
    S: Cadbury creme egg
    D: grilled burger patty w/a slice of American cheese, 1/2 avocado, and three large leaves of Romaine lettuce
    Des: 2 more Cadbury creme eggs

Today's weight: 133.2

B: hard boiled egg, 1.2 oz. bag of cashews
    L: 1 1/2 beef hot dogs (octodogs) cooked in coconut oil with TJ's roasted seaweed
    S: Cadbury creme egg
    D: Islands Rincon burger (beef, swiss, bacon, guacamole - no bun) with small Caesar salad, TJ's brie bite
    Des: Cadbury creme egg

Not enough veggies today but I just couldn't get myself motivated to prepare/eat them. Also, for those wondering why I never mention any drinks, I only drink water.
    Last edited by Polcamilla; 02-20-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    good results so far, i know sometimes it seems very slow...it was about 10-15 pounds per month for me at the beginning. also it can take a while for your body to start showing health benefits. my cousin had high sugar levels for about a month after eating primal. just his body had stores of sugar and i guess was able to keep it going in a steady stream for that long.

i know how i am with cheating, its an easy thing for me to "justify" to myself. i've started weekly/monthly challenges to see if this helps keep me aware of what i'm doing plus doesn't just throw me in cold turkey either...i guess so i can get used to the new way of eating without worrying about my prior failures.

good luck and give it time, the more you can get strict on it and the longer you are on it the better the results start showing up. i lost 75 pounds in about 9-10 months. it was amazing, i put on about 15 pounds this year from cheating here and there...so this year i am more dedicated to success in the long term, i know more about whats going on thats for sure

Thanks for the encouragement!!

In general, I'm feeling pretty good about eating this way. I just have to occasionally stop and remind myself that I have a lot of things I can eat RIGHT NOW with little-to-no-prep (rather than letting myself get hungrier and hungrier and then make bad choices). Of course, I also need to stay on top of having plenty of little-to-no-prep options at home.

I'm also trying to be completely honest with the food journal and resisting the urge to gloss over the not-ideal bits. Despite having a (delicious chocolate) shell and a (soft, creamy) yolk, I know that Cadbury eggs are the Paleo-est of choices.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    At least you're honest about the Creme eggs, but seriously, they've got to go! 3 a day? I think you're pushing it slightly calling your current eating plan Paleo/Primal, have you really nailed down which foods are good and which should be avoided?

Anyway, I don't want to come across all negative straight off, because even 50/50 primal is much better than most manage, so well done for giving it a go, but you're a long way from the 80/20 pattern that many people thrive on. I think you'd really benefit from losing the sugar and upping the veg/protein element. Just my opinion, based on my experience with Primal eating.

Hope it goes well for you, and good luck with your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    At least you're honest about the Creme eggs, but seriously, they've got to go! 3 a day? I think you're pushing it slightly calling your current eating plan Paleo/Primal, have you really nailed down which foods are good and which should be avoided?
    Yes, I have a very good idea of what foods are good and what should be avoided. I'm not planning to go dairy-free at this point, so I'm down to just the processed sugar/chocolate as my bugaboo. Since it might not be clear, I'm not waking up and pre-planning chocolate as part of my healthy, balanced diet. I'm recording what I actually DO end up eating over the course of each day.

I've also found that hormonal fluctuations across the month result in certain, predictable behaviors. It's not worth fighting that yet. I'd like to get good overall habits established first and then work on smaller problems once I've had bigger successes.

B: homemade "McMuffin": fried egg, Canadian bacon, American cheese
    L: spinach fontina chicken sausage, spinach salad with olive oil & garlic dressing
    S: pack of cashews and TJ's brie bite
    D: tomato soup, burger w/American cheese and avocado chunks
    Des: chocolate chip Larabar

I'm finding I just can't bear the thought of vegetables at breakfast, so I'm aiming for something green/plant-y at lunch and dinner.

(Annoying discovery of the day: TJ's organic tomato soup has rice flour in it. :S )
    Last edited by Polcamilla; 02-22-2012 at 08:06 AM.

i had the same problem over the last 6 months (so far heres 3 days and counting on being really good)

where it was "convenient" to grab some candy and mom and dad's or to just eat the bun if eating fast food...

my wife is starting this week by making some deviled eggs, they are quick to eat and very feeling, try the recipe part of the forum and look for some quick snacks plus meals and start planning, have good alternatives to your cadbury with real deviled eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
    B: homemade "McMuffin": fried egg, Canadian bacon, American cheese

I'm finding I just can't bear the thought of vegetables at breakfast, so I'm aiming for something green/plant-y at lunch and dinner.
    i don't think i ever eat veggies at breakfast, unless its in an omelet...which is rare...i like your mcmuffin though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast