Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This Time It Will Stick...A 40=something woman tries Primal page 3

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I totally know where you're coming from!
    This can be really frustrating when you're reading the Friday success stories about the men and 30 year olds who drop weight like it's no problem and wind up looking like fitness models. At this age you have to deal with hormonal disruptions that hang on to weigh as well as the lovely lunar cycles that obliterate any progress you may or may not have made each month.

Still, deciding to take control is a little bit of control even if it doesn't feel like it's getting you anywhere YET. The fact that you're here means you're doing something, and something is better than nothing because then you'd just be a whiner! Here, we're JOURNALING, big difference

Keep on keepin' on, we can do this, we gotta!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I hear your pain! Your body is adjusting big time right now, especially if you haven't really done fat and meat for a while. I think if you hang in there and keep it really clean so your body can clean up all the stuff that isn't good, then you might be surprised at what happens. It really does work, don't give up! I am just starting here too and it is scarey - there is that part of me that says, 'you know if this doesn't work then I am stuck with this fat, flabby body forever and that is just terrifying!' But, if we hang in there and cheer each other on to persevere through the bad spots we can all celebrate together when it all starts to come together. I have about 80 lbs to lose, I am way beyond flabby and yet I do feel such hope and desire to go the full course this time. It has really helped me to quit the carbs and sugar cold turkey, my cravings are much more manageable now that my body is starting to transition into a better mode of being.

olehcat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Coli and Ottercat!

I came here just to say that I have been eating pretty clean the last two days and I feel much better.

No sugar except for dark-dark chocolate. I am still having some wine, but limiting myself to one glass only.

I am eating some small forms of legumes, black beans on occasion. I am trying to stick mostly to chicken as far as meat right now. I really want that distended upper belly thing to go away. It was REALLY uncomfortable! Already it feels better. Maybe bacon is not for me right now... Maybe it will be more for me when I lose a little of the flab.

And yes, it is SO discouraging to see how easily young people, especially men, just drop weight just by thinking about it. Even my husband, who is 45 and not that fit, can drop 20 pounds within a month or two, just by stopping fast food or something ridiculously easy like that. :-p

Thank you for encouraging me, ladies!

Sounds good olehcat! I think your body needs the lighter meats as you adjust. Try to make sure you get enough fat with it... go for the dark meat as much as possible and just gradually increase the others as you can tolerate it. You know when we change our animals diets we do it gradually, pretend you're one of your cats and gradually add more meat and fat so that your body is not reeling from trying to adjust to such a different mode of operation in one or two days I had to smile at the whole men losing weight thing. I was just thinking this morning that I should have waited to tell DH about this primal thing and try to get a little ahead on the weight loss and getting into shape thing, before he comes up from behind and just leaves me in the dust! He has cut out all grains and sugar too just the last few days and I know the weight is just going to fall off him - sigh. I mean, I am glad for him! but I hate being the frumpy fat sack dragging up the rear!!

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I would stay away from the beans, they have lots of nasties and may make that bloating worse.
    I know it's MDA heresy, but sometimes if I'm uncomfortable I'll take a load of metamucil. I figure as long as I'm not doing it every day then it can't scratch up my insides too bad, and it works
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Thanks, ladies!

I have been pretty awesome in my diet for five days now and am feeling pretty good.

Yeah, ottercat, beans make me bloat up like NOTHING else. haha. The day I had black beans in my soup? I had some horrific gas that night! And how much is a lot of metamucil? I have a fiber chewable thingie I could take, but I was worried it would make me bloat up more, haha.

coll: oh, that made me laugh about you trying to get a head start over your husband. SO unfair and yet so true! I have been eating leaner cuts of chicken, but I do add plenty of fat in other ways, like I eat avocados and olive oil. I will try to increase the fat in the meat again soon, but I'm pretty sure that for whatever reason, I have no idea why, that the fattier meat was causing that weird bloating in my upper abdomen. But you could be right about introducing it gradually instead of all at once!

Sounds like you're doing well, olehcat. I think that sometimes our body takes time to figure out that we have switched fuels on it Just go slow and hopefully your stomach will realise the good stuff that is coming its way and learn how to deal with it. There are various fibre options if you need something like that .... I like the Garden of Life fibre - my DD sometimes needs it and it is very gentle but effective.

Coll: hi! Thanks! I did lose 2.4 pounds this week. So I'm still in the 140s, but if I keep things up, maybe I can get out of the 140s in a week or two.

Thank you! Yes, I am going to gradually add things!

This morning I made a once-a-week treat of primal pancakes with almond flour, coconut milk, banana, eggs fried in coconut oil. So good! I couldn't eat something that rich every day of course, but it's a nice treat.

Quote Originally Posted by olehcat View Post
    This morning I made a once-a-week treat of primal pancakes with almond flour, coconut milk, banana, eggs fried in coconut oil. So good! I couldn't eat something that rich every day of course, but it's a nice treat.
    Would you mind sharing the measurements/amounts for these ingredients? My girls love pancakes so this sounds great.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    oh yes, I found this recipe somewhere, I'm embarrassed that I can't remember, so it's not my invention, but I did change coconut flour to almond flour because I couldn't find coconut flour and I did add the banana.

1/4 cup almond flour
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    2 eggs
    1 mashed banana
    splash of vanilla

The banana really does make it sweet enough for me!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast