Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBF stalled - help requested page

PBF stalled - help requested

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing Primal Blueprint Fitness for the past month, and I've recently hit a stall on LHT. Every exercise has either plateaued or backslid, and I'm wondering how to reverse that. For reference:

30-35 knee pushups, 6-7 pullups/chinups, 30-35 full squats, 12-17 jack knife presses, 60 sec. hand/foot planks are where I'm at (do this workout twice a week).

Post-workout I have a smoothie made with either 1 cup coconut milk beverage (not the full-fat canned) or unsweetened almond milk, 25 g Optimum Nutrition whey protein, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, and 1 cup berries.

I haven't started incorporating starches or high-sugar fruits like bananas into my diet. I'm toying with the idea of making my smoothie 1 cup coconut milk beverage, 1 scoop whey, and 1 banana to get carbs post-workout. My daily life is high-stress (law student), so I'm wondering if that's affecting my workout. I do LHT in the morning before going to school, usually two or three hours after waking up (I usually have breakfast immediately on waking up on these days).

Any ideas? If you need any more information, just ask. I don't know what info would be helpful.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah probably stress. Get more sleep, maybe take a week off. Also I think it's time for you to progress to regular pushups, grasshopper.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I agree with going full press-ups. Chin-ups are a hard one to move forward on because it can take a lot of work to get that next rep. I would either ad one more set of chins or at the end of the set, add some negative chins, or take a 10s rest get another pull, rest and another pull until you get to 10. Either of those techniques should push your body a bit more.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I've never tried PBF fitness specifically, but it seems weird that you are doing high reps of very simple exercises like knee pushups - at some point that just becomes cardio. If you can do 35 knee pushups, why not just skip to real ones? Same thing with the squats, why not stick some law books in a backpack and work your way back up to 30, then add difficulty again.
    In most things, I think Mark is a genius, but looking at PBF and hearing stories like this I wonder if it could have been better designed. Also, get some sleep!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

PBF would have me get up to 50 knee pushups, then do 50 incline pushups, and finally reach full pushups, at which point I'd be trying for 50 again before moving on. I have done regular pushups in the past, when I was doing Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym, and I could get up to about 20 or 25 before failure. So 30 to 35 reps is a good point to progress pushups and squats?

Additional question on pushups: my benchmark is based on the US Air Force fitness test, which mandates 33 pushups in one minute (bare minimum to pass). What's a good method to develop my endurance on regular pushups so I can get to 50? If I'm going to pass, I might as well do better than just scraping by...

Sleep I will try to manage. I'm usually good for anywhere between 6 and 8 hours a night.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes you will be stuck for a few weeks in a movement and then eventually if you have put out during the brief workouts and rest in between well you will breakthrough to the progression number. It takes patience and some tenacity. I am on top level on push ups and pistols but my handstand pushups and pullups are lagging. I will do as many handstand push ups as I can and then I force some negatives on the ing to last sets.

Next week I am going to simply stop at failure for the week on handstand pushups (full reps are much tougher than half reps) . I am debating advancing on the pullups. I am doing uneven (towel in one hand) pullups and am completing all reps occassionally and have played with the plyometric pullups. I am not comfortable changing grip yet so will stick with the uneven pullups while I work on catching my shoulder presses up.
    As you go through PBF you will notice it takes longer to get through some progressions than others depending on your body and your strengths and weaknesses.

Sometimes I want to get under the bar again but I am injury free since I began the PBF in September so I stick with it.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

If you are looking for endurance then you need to work on endurance and keep going at them....I would try and get some in throughout the day to grease the grove.
    I am on Convict Conditioning which is a little different. I went from 2 sets of 20 pushups, to 2 sets of 20 close pushups and am now on getting 2 sets of uneven pushups (one hand on a basket ball) all with 2 min rest in between.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Well, as they say - if 30 pushups in one minute is your goal, you'd be best off practicing doing fast pushups at least a couple / few times per week. I would go to near failure, count how many that is, then try to add one rep per session. Something like that.
    Sometimes doing harder versions of things makes the basic version a lot easier, too. But if you can do regular pushups, I'd say do regular pushups.
    Dirlot: I do basketball-handed pushups too, after bench pressing. It's a nice exercise! 10 per hand is a nice way to end a workout.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    You've been doing this for a month. You won't always make continuous progress, and adding more training, more effort, more reps isn't always the best idea. Sometimes you have to back off and rest and recovery.

Sometimes you just have to be patient and keep working.

However, there are a lot of things that you can do to improve your strength:
    Slow your movement down.
    Add a set of more difficult movements each week- after your warmup, do one set of the next higher exercise than your current level.
    Add a set of less difficult exercises, like Australian pull-ups. This will build strength for later.
    Split your workouts (half the exercises one day, half the other day), and do 2-3 sets of each exercise in your workout session.

As far as "endurance" goes, the best thing you can do is improve your strength. I did pushups for years and years in the Army, and never really was able to improve on my own until I started training with slow movements, and aiming to progress beyond a standard pushup. I was always between 55-65 pushups in two minutes (an average score) but now I'm up over 70, which is approaching a perfect score. The logic is that if you max out on pushups at 50, then your effort expended for each one is approximately 1/50 of your maximum.

By training more difficult versions (close hand, decline, one arm, etc), you will build your strength so that each pushup only requires 1/70th of your maximum effort, allowing you to do more.

I've been finding that I lack forearm strength to continue improving on my pull-ups, so I've dropped back down to Australian pullups and assisted pullups, with my feet on a chair. This builds a foundation for progressing later.

TLR Get yourself a copy of Convict Conditioning, where you can learn far more detail regarding how to build strength and progress with body weight exercises. My Army PT score went from about 230 out of 300 to over 270 in about six months, and I never did anything more advanced than regular full pushups and leg raises (lying on my back) during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Dirlot: I do basketball-handed pushups too, after bench pressing. It's a nice exercise! 10 per hand is a nice way to end a workout.
    I miss benching (doesn't work with my shoulder) but dips, weighted dips and pushups are helping me make good gains.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast